Photo

Malcolm Young "jailbreak" Tone

malcolm young variax 700 hd500 single input approach gretsch silver jet marshall plexi

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

my attempt to get the Malcolm Young tone in "Jailbreak" by AC/DC..

https://soundcloud.c...anico/jailbreak

(description of the settings under the Soundcloud track)

EDIT:

here an updated, better and I think more close to the original tone version:

https://soundcloud.c...o/jailbreak-bis

Edited by hurghanico, 07 February 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#2 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

I like the way you work! another winner...   :)

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#3 diggerbarnz

diggerbarnz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

instead of typing out all involved in patch...wouldn't it be easier to upload the patch? Nudge nudge wink wink Say no more:)

#4 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Awesome.... Yet another great job.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

instead of typing out all involved in patch...wouldn't it be easier to upload the patch? Nudge nudge wink wink Say no more:)

it certainly would be easier, but I have my reasons why I do so ..

I don't like very much the throwaway, and I would like that people who use my patches, did notice how they are made, having more awareness you can use some ideas you may like to do other patches in your way, and you can also discuss certain choices with me, if you want..

downloading patches already made, it is much more likely that you use it as it is, without noticing almost anything ..

In addition, I noticed that If you load a patch in HD500 Edit (at least this happens in offline mode), the patch
input settings are displayed incorrectly, unless you manually change the program input setup to preset, and reload the patch again ..

seen that the adjustment of the input settings is a critical part of my patches, it annoys me that my work could be displayed incorrectly

#6 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Thank you guys :)

#7 jandrio

jandrio

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

In addition, I noticed that If you load a patch in HD500 Edit (at least this happens in offline mode), the patch
input settings are displayed incorrectly, unless you manually change the program input setup to preset, and reload the patch again ..

You don't need to reload the patch, just change to preset...

#8 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

You don't need to reload the patch, just change to preset...

thanks for the clarification ;)

surely it's better if you don't have also to reload the patch, but still is not ideal for me, and I think is something that needs to be fixed..

anyway I always do my patches directly on my POD, so I'm not in hurry for that fixing..

#9 jandrio

jandrio

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

...I think is something that needs to be fixed..

....so I'm not in hurry for that fixing..

What should be fixed ? ;)

..anyway I always do my patches directly on my POD...

+1 to Nico :)

#10 diggerbarnz

diggerbarnz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

it certainly would be easier, but I have my reasons why I do so ..

I don't like very much the throwaway, and I would like that people who use my patches, did notice how they are made, having more awareness you can use some ideas you may like to do other patches in your way, and you can also discuss certain choices with me, if you want..

downloading patches already made, it is much more likely that you use it as it is, without noticing almost anything ..

In addition, I noticed that If you load a patch in HD500 Edit (at least this happens in offline mode), the patch input settings are displayed incorrectly, unless you manually change the program input setup to preset, and reload the patch again ..

seen that the adjustment of the input settings is a critical part of my patches, it annoys me that my work could be displayed incorrectly

I hear ya - & understand you reasoning,,,I'm not ALWAYS funny - but try to be! Awesome work

#11 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

Seriously Nico, at all those awesome tones, no post processing is done at all?

#12 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Seriously Nico, at all those awesome tones, no post processing is done at all?

I swear it, absolutely no post processing is done..

the only thing I did in the DAW was to add or subtract 1dB here and there to balance the backing tracks with the guitar tracks, and to avoid digital clipping at the final output,.. no eq, comp or other DAW FXs added..

your question makes me think that maybe you don't get the same my results using these patches..
is that so?

#13 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

For the moment I am not in my home town and have only my jtv with F.W. 2.0, very different from the variax tone...

I can not do much for the moment, but seriously, you got a PROFESSIONAL RECORDING on your mixes, that I am jealous of it!!! 

Love your tones all the time!!

No need to swear, I trust you really !!!

#14 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hi Nico - thanks for your work as always. I have posted to Soundcloud my attempts - one using Marshall, the other using other amps as described.

These are all "in the ballpark", but THAT tone is still missing.

https://soundcloud.c...g-tone-attempts

cheers,

Ian.

#15 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

..Hi Nico - thanks for your work as always. I have posted to Soundcloud my attempts - one using Marshall, the other using other amps as described.

These are all "in the ballpark", but THAT tone is still missing.

https://soundcloud.c...g-tone-attempts

I heard your demo clip..

the first part with Gibtone/AC15 sounds better than the other one with Marshall..

but they both sound like you were overloading/clipping the HD input, too much induced compression and noise, and not much definition..

probably you have a guitar with quite hot pickups, I think you should try the single input approach with your HD..

doing so probably your next patches will sound much better and with more definition..

you didn't tell me what you think of my "Jailbreak" version patch

#16 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I heard your demo clip..

the first part with Gibtone/AC15 sounds better than the other one with Marshall..

but they both sound like you were overloading/clipping the HD input, too much induced compression and noise, and not much definition..

probably you have a guitar with quite hot pickups, I think you should try the single input approach with your HD..

doing so probably your next patches will sound much better and with more definition..

you didn't tell me what you think of my "Jailbreak" version patch

Yeah they were both a bit rushed - I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to music at home right now.

It really is hard to get the right balance between distorted and clean.

I am using a vaxplant (600 guts in a strat clone using graphtechs) with the string output lowered to (I think) 70% and also all patches are lowered -3dB to get closer to a Strat I used to use live with Kinman pickups. The vaxplant is most likely still a fair bit hotter output than a Stra, but not necessarily a Les Paul or the like. I know variaxes are hot output though, and may overload the pod.

I set up all patches in the HD500 using the "same" 2nd input setup as that was being touted as the way to go way back when, and recently having read your viewpoint, and hearing your examples, I changed my pod to "aux" for 2nd input, but because all patches were set up using "same", a lot of my cleaner patches I use for live use ended up too "limp" for want of a better description - ie thin and no sustain at all.

So until I go through all (over 120) patches and modify them for single input, I have dual input. I should make time soon eh!

I'll try this weekend, even just to re-do those two "Malcolm" tones for comparison.

And of course your version is pretty good, but "THAT" tone is still missing (it seems really mid frequency specific), which I put down to maybe multi-micing on the original, or a real specific eq curve we haven't found yet. And also his technique is fundamental too! Maybe I dig in too hard for the graphtechs?

Thanks for all your input, and advice - information really is power!

ciao for now,

Ian.

#17 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

And of course your version is pretty good, but "THAT" tone is still missing (it seems really mid frequency specific), which I put down to maybe multi-micing on the original, or a real specific eq curve we haven't found yet. And also his technique is fundamental too! Maybe I dig in too hard for the graphtechs?

at least I found a "good" tone.. good luck to find the missing "THAT" ;)

#18 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

at least I found a "good" tone.. good luck to find the missing "THAT" ;)

Ha ha - yeah I'm probably being pretty picky about getting "THAT" tone... but it IS a unique tone he has on that recording.

I'm going to dedicate some time to applying eq (and cleaning up the tone by changing the inputs) so my challenge to myself is to get closer to "THAT" elusive tone than either of us have done so far.

Please don't take my lack of enthusiasm about your tone as meaning I don't like it! In a lot of ways it's clearly better than I've managed to attain. But now you've given me the incentive to "nail it". When I get something better I'll link it again.

May only take me a couple of years.... :lol:

#19 brue58ski

brue58ski

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

It is interesting that one of the tones I always thought would be one of the easiest to get based on the rawness I hear, turns out to be one of the hardest if not impossible.  Impossible for me anyway.  I still haven't heard it (except, of course, on their recordings).  I keep trying about once or twice a year but it's never quite there.  Then ya got Rush, whom I thought would be one of the most difficult, turns out to be not so hard.

#20 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

IMHO to get exactly 100% identical tones to the originals is probably nearly impossible..

there are too many variables involved, and just to name a few:

- personal touch

- guitar

- strings

- pick or fingers

- amps, cabs and mics

- settings

- effects

- eventual double or triple trackings

- etc.etc..

personally I don't think that makes much sense trying to get 100% carbon copies of the originals..

it takes too much time and probably at the end of every possible effort there will be still something missing..

when I'm inspired by someone else sounds I try to get very close to, but mainly to get some new good sounding and very usable tones, to play specific songs or others more or less in a given style..

and I never expect to get 100% perfectly equal tones, when I get quite close to the originals tones and mainly when I get some good enjoyable sounds, I stop tweaking, and I pass the remaining time playing which is most important thing for me..

it's always difficult and nearly impossibile to copy at 100% someone else sound, even if he/she is not a star..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: malcolm young, variax 700, hd500, single input approach, gretsch silver jet, marshall plexi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users