Photo

Malcolm Young "jailbreak" Tone

malcolm young variax 700 hd500 single input approach gretsch silver jet marshall plexi

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

The picking technique is important. I tend to hit the strings hard so I was surprised I couldn't get the sound of one of my recordings, using the same patch... until I've realized that was because I was playing softer in that one! I think Malcom is a heavy hitter too. About the 100% perfectly equal tones, I don't get what is the point of NOT trying to be 100% close to the original! Where is the fun of being 80% close if you really really like that tone? :)

#22 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

..Please don't take my lack of enthusiasm about your tone as meaning I don't like it! In a lot of ways it's clearly better than I've managed to attain. But now you've given me the incentive to "nail it". When I get something better I'll link it again.

May only take me a couple of years.... :lol:

don't worry! :)

I really appreciate the sincerity, especially when it comes to music..

I'm curious to see your next results ..
if I'll still be alive :lol:

be careful not to make your head explode
;)

#23 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

..I think Malcom is a heavy hitter too...

the Malcom strings are 0.12..

that says it all..

About the 100% perfectly equal tones, I don't get what is the point of NOT trying to be 100% close to the original! Where is the fun of being 80% close if you really really like that tone? :)

IMHO at the end, it's much more important how you play a given song than the gear/patch you are using..

(obviously doesn't mean that the gear/patch isn't important, surely it could make a big difference)..

this doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to get 100% close to the originals tones, if you can, do it..

I said that personally the 100% equal tone goal doesn't make much sense for me, that to me is more important that the sounds are enough good to enjoy them when I'm playing certain songs..

when I play any song I rely more on my technique and touch, and I expect that there is always something of myself that emerges in the results, even when I try to imitate someone else, that's a natural and welcome thing for me..

this is my sense of reality

although sometimes I have fun imitating the stars sounds, surely this is not my musical goal, which is rather to have a personal sound and style

#24 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2715 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

definitely got the SG tone

I'M SO HAPPY!

#25 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

@ Ian

I think I found the missing "that"

I don't know if it should considered the "THAT" you are looking for, but it seems at least a very good "that"

when I'll find the time I'll post the results

call me mad.. yes, probably I am

#26 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

definitely got the SG tone

thanks toneman...

in reality it's a Gretsch Silver Jet with a Plexi, but it's part of the typical AC/DC group sound..

-----------

you came back to the wintry avatar?

#27 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

..Ha ha - yeah I'm probably being pretty picky about getting "THAT" tone... but it IS a unique tone he has on that recording.

I'm going to dedicate some time to applying eq (and cleaning up the tone by changing the inputs) so my challenge to myself is to get closer to "THAT" elusive tone than either of us have done so far..

what do you think of this updated version?

https://soundcloud.c...o/jailbreak-bis

I added a parametric eq before the amp, and consequently I turned up the amp drive

---------------

I realized now that I've slightly customized the main riff in the last recording, but never mind, the important thing is the tone

#28 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

what do you think of this updated version?

https://soundcloud.c...o/jailbreak-bis

I added a parametric eq before the amp, and consequently I turned up the amp drive

---------------

I realized now that I've slightly customized the main riff in the last recording, but never mind, the important thing is the tone

Viva Italia!

Nice work again Mr Nico Sir.

It's definitely gotten a lot closer with the parametric in the loop.

And I totally agree about the difficulty with all the variables involved in the guitarist's gear - and then there's studio equipment including mic pre-amps, compressors, and engineer know-how (not to mention the "happy accidents" where someone does something that's maybe "wrong", or  "not in the manual" and some magic happens with tone!

I love the story (whether true or not - I know he loves to make lollipop up), about Billy Gibbons building a "house of amps" (4 speaker cabs facing each other, and another on the top like a roof) with one (or more) mic in the centre capturing the magic.

Now for the next generation of Pod which includes the "tone matching" they have in the Axe FX.

The technology must be there already (otherwise how could they emulate valve amps now?), but they probably preferred to keep it under their belt for a while.....

I guess my main aim for trying to really capture the essence of the tone is so it can be used live. I play in a duo where I try to capture not only the notes played, but also the tone - cos that's what people know and want to hear. I figure I'm being paid to do a job and I may as well try as hard as I can to do it as best I can.

The second (and maybe more important) aim is to learn more about how this equipment works, and how much I can get out of it. Being able to link the vax and HD500 to create a patch covering the guitar,amp,cab etc to match tone is amazing to me - it DOES cause my brain to hurt sometimes, but hey - no pain definitely means no gain.

Footnote:

I had pain at last night's gig - my first public performance with THAT dreaded feedback problem. Took me a minute to come to grips with what was happening. Quickly pulled the power and plugged back in and luckily just in time for the solo - Belissima!

Adios amigo.

PS

It's OK Nico, we're all mad I'm sure! :blink:

#29 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2715 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

in reality it's a Gretsch Silver Jet with a Plexi, but it's part of the typical AC/DC group sound..

-----------

you came back to the wintry avatar?

oh...yeah! uh,that's what i meant!

but honestly, that tone you got is so close to ac/dc that if didn't know it was you, l would have mistaken it for malcom

nah, the eagles ticked me off at the very end of the year  :angry:  ;)

I'M SO HAPPY!

#30 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Footnote:

I had pain at last night's gig - my first public performance with THAT dreaded feedback problem. Took me a minute to come to grips with what was happening. Quickly pulled the power and plugged back in and luckily just in time for the solo - Belissima!..

you should open a support ticket for that problem, and also add your voice in this thread: http://line6.com/sup...happened-to-me/ since it seems that Line6 is looking also there to get useful infos from the customers who had the same problem..

hope that Line6 will find a solution because knowing that you can have that problem from time to time causes a bit of anxiety, and could be also dangerous for someone soon or later..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: malcolm young, variax 700, hd500, single input approach, gretsch silver jet, marshall plexi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users