Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First Jam With New Jtv-59

I play in a semi (OK, rarely)-working band featuring female lead vocals and R&B slant.  I play rhytm thru a HD500X and Fender 4-10 Deville for room, and balanced L/R to the board. I previously switched between real acoustic and LP standard, with four nice well-sorted voices for each guitar. After reading the forum for the last month, I bought the -59 a couple weeks ago and kinda got it figured out after hours of study - and thanks to all you forum posers. Previously, I'd switch guitars and had all the levels nicely balanced thru the 500.  I'm running HD V2.0 in the -59 with ethernet cable, but have read the pro/con posts on previous JTV firmware versions.

So, here are my very first impressions in a real studio (yeah, converted garage) playing environment, where my mates generally scoff at digital anarchy.  And as mentioned, I'm pretty much a newbie at guitar models, but have loved the evolution of L6 pedalboards and amp models for years.  Pretty sure that I've fine-tuned the warmth of the LP and presense of the acoustic, with only ocassional leads.

Guitar models

I am positively thrilled at the Lester model, it feels and sounds so familiar, I kept returning to it for our familiar tunes.  I know it is louder than the other electric models, but loved it.  I suspect that I'll workbench it back to the other electrics over time, but it was just an excellent model on each toggle - and on the -59 it felt like my favorite home axe. I dabbled with the spank and Tele voices and found them faithful in the room thru the 4-10.  I'ver not had time to show off most of the other electric voices.  Now, the acoustic voices were well-received by my mates - even thru the flat 4-10 room amp (with a bit of treble push).  The trick to acoustic playing is well documented in the forum and really true....man, you have to pretty much switch to feather-lite pick and lighten up.  But the rewards are worth it.  This was my first time in a lively room and I quickly adapted, but will probably workbench the models UP in level. Hey- there was no body resonance or feedback in a loud room as with dreadnought acoustic - an unadvertised feature.  I tried out the spanky 12-string models, and they were well received, but I don't quite know how to fit them into the setlist at this time; maybe some EQ will smooth out the over-brightness of those octave strings.  Overall, I was very happy withe the -59 models, although I stayed in Lester land a lot of the time.

And I did see how to toggle between the Lester and acoustic voices in the forum - will set that up in the future.  This was the first jam/rehersal where 80% of the time you are working on the band's overall soundscape.

A few unwanted noises

What is up with the pop/snap when stroking the tuning knob?  Is this a -59 3-way toggle issue that does not exist with other 5-way toggles? It seemed associated with acoustic models, and I recall something about taming it with a 5300hz notch, or will this be fixed with future L6 firmware?  It was really audible, but I guess it was rare, or manageable, when you know where the setlist is going....  Other than that pop, all was deathly quiet thru the ethernet-connected 500X, 1/4'd to the Fender amp.  Nice.

Action

I've lowered the bridge over a couple of steps, but maybe I shave the nut to get a more slinky action with the stock '10s.  My fingers are ageing,

I think I love this guitar.  It'll take a few more rehearsals to know for sure. 

Welcome aboard! I'm in a similar situation; band fronted by female vocals, sort of a blend of 80's New Wave with a touch of funk. We try to play about once a month. I've got the 59P, the HD500, and a DT25. Since adding the 59P, I've been exploring all kinds of tonal options. Even though I was a strat player before, I've settled in on a combo of the Tele and Lester models for most songs.

I use the acoustic models a bit and have not experienced what you described although I've seen others mention it.

In contrast, the action on the 59P is a bit too low for me as delivered. I might have raise it a bit. (I've got some old hands as well but prefer the action higher).

We record a fair amount too and I'm anxious to try out the Variax in our next session.

Thanks for reply.  Sounds like we are similar musical situations, and we are also good customers of L6.  For now, I'll focus a question regarding the acoustic voices from the -59, thru the 500X amp models and to the room.  I've not played thru the DT amps, or any real full range PA for that matter.  Some of our covers, like Bonnie Raitt and Cheryl Crow demand acoustic presense that my 4-10 probably fails to deliver in the room.  I'd like to hear that faithfull presense in the room during rehearsals (that often include full drums and full percussion sets in a too-small room).  I'm leaning into my amp to heart myself often - OK well maybe the ears are not what they used to be.

So I'm asking if a DT25 would hold up to my room needs.  Geez I dont want to lug any more gear (just carry one guitar now - yay!), but what full-range amp will meet my needs?  Of course the question goes out to the whole community, but be specific,  I'm not an experienced gear head, but may need an amp that better fits the amazing JTV acoustic models in a small live room. 

Then....more questions.  Thanks.

The DT25 is more a guitar amp than a full range speaker.  It is configured to work very well with the HD500 but also is a guitar amp in it's own right.  What I think you're looking for is something from the Stagesource line they have.  Full range powered speakers.  They are relatively expensive and given Line 6's lack of support for older products, you may be taking a bit of a risk but it seems the majority of people who try them like them alot.  I think they might actually "talk" with the HD500 via Link output.  Not sure about that though.  Here's their website.

http://line6.com/stagesource-l2m/