Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Issue Recording Via Usb With Pod Hd

GuerillaGorilla

So I've had my POD HD500 for a while now and love the tones I'm getting, but I'm having an issue recording in Reaper via the USB cable. I'll be able to record for a bit (the amount varies, usually 30-45 seconds worth), but then my computer will stop recognizing the POD HD properly and won't register the POD HD as outputting sound. Restarting Reaper, restarting the POD HD500, and trying different cables all don't fix the issue and if I try using POD HD500 Edit it comes up with the error message:

"There was an issue transferring one or more patches.

If this error keeps occurring, quit POD HD500 edit[...etc.]

(Code 8000000a) Operation timed out."

The only thing that fixes the issue is restarting my computer, but eventually the same problem happens as before. I've tried updating my drivers and BIOS to no avail. I've even gotten the blue screen of death happen a few times hours after trying to record (one time it actually happened as soon as I plugged in my POD HD500 to my computer), but that might be an unrelated issue. I can post those blue screen error logs if that will help.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

That error message/code indicates an issue with the usb connection. Try all usb ports on your computer. Avoid using any usb hubs.

Make sure Reaper is configured to use the HD500 and its ASIO driver as the audio device.

Also, to avoid potential usb communication conflicts it is best not to use HD500 Edit while running Reaper.

I'll try to do that, I'm never consitent with which USB port I plug into so I'll try to figure out if there's a faulty one. I'm using a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1440) so I'm not using a USB hub. I'm already using ASIO configured for the HD500 and I don't run HD500 Edit while running Reaper, I just ran it after closing Reaper to make sure the problem wasn't in Reaper itself.

You might want to look at the usb connection on the pod itself. I've noticed it can lose it's physical connection quite easliy. When recording or using the pod are you using the footswitches and/or expression pedal? If so, you might be jarring the pod just enough to mess with the connection.

Or maybe it's the actual cable?

If that doesn't help, you could try enabling 'don't tell me about usb errors' in windows device manager/universal serial bus controllers/(whaterever your usb controller is called). Double click that and look under the advanced tab to see this option. Although I doubt very much if this would solve the problem.

I'm just keeping the POD on a flat surface, not touching it at all. And I tried a different cable, same results- works for a bit in Reaper then stops being read by the computer.

One thing I did find out is that when looking for that option you were talking about, I noticed that in device manager under the USB Controllers section there is a "Generic USB Hub," a bunch of "Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller" items, a "USB Composite Device," and a bunch of "USB Root Hub" items. Does this mean that my laptop uses a USB hub for my USB ports and is the root of my issues?

In any case it looks like I'll be saving up for a recording interface, this issue is just too much of a pain to deal with.

I wouldn't worry about the usb hub thing because all usb ports have to go through a hub. In your case, it's the motherboard of your laptop.

Any other usb devices connected while using the pod, perhaps interferring somehow?

Maybe look at some of the options for the audio device within Reaper.

You could also look to see on your laptop if there is a way to get in the bios during boot and look if there any options pertaining to usb.

I guess I'm not sure what you'd be looking for either. Most of the options in reaper have a short explanation when you move the cursor over the option. The manual might provide some more info. Before changing anything in the computer bios, I would write down what the options are and try to find out more about what they might do.

As far as what the problem might be, assuming there is nothing physically wrong, could be a plethora of things; something with the usb controller, the drivers controlling the usb in the operating system, or maybe even a unique combination of things? It sounds like there's some buffers somewhere in the chain that are getting corrupted or just stop functioning for whatever (unknown) reason.

If you'd want to rule out anything with the pod itself, try it on a completely different computer, not necessarily even a laptop.

I think I may have fixed this issue, thanks to Line 6's troubleshooting guide on USB Audio Troubleshooting (http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282). I updated my drivers again using the program Line 6 recommended and increased the buffer in the Line 6 Audio and MIDI Devices tool in the control panel. So far I've been recording without fault longer than I have before.

Nevermind, spoke too soon. Literally right after I posted that and went back to Reaper the audio cut out again. Any ideas?

Edit: Turning off my wi-fi actually seems to be helping so far, I'll report back if the error happens again.

Edit 2: Turning wi-fi has NOT resolved the problem. Not sure what else to do.