Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Head's Power Amp To Power A Pod Hd?

mikemorgenroth56

I hope this isn't a noob question, but I still don't understand how to hook up the Pod HD to my head and only use its power amp section to power the Pod. I have tried the "4 cable method," and all I ended up with was a barely audible guitar sound. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know. What is the proper way of doing this? Also, is there a way to get rid of mic emulation and cab emulation like on the Axe FX? I am confused and I really dig the tone of my Pod HD Pro X, and I have been dying to use it with my 4x12. What do I need to do to get it sounding best and to get all my connections right?

I hope this isn't a noob question, but I still don't understand how to hook up the Pod HD to my head and only use its power amp section to power the Pod. 

4CM is only if you want to use your amps pre-amp.

You only need 2 leads,

Guitar> Guitar In

1/4 L out > your amp's 'return' or 'power amp in' socket.

Your amp's front panel knobs will then not work and your POD's 'Master' knob becomes your volume knob.

s

You have to turn on/place the FX loop block in your pod signal path for your FX send to the amp's input to be heard.  

Only if you use the 4CM, that is correct.

The OP wants to use the POD as a preamp, then he only needs 2 cables and not worry about FX loops.

s

Only if you use the 4CM, I believe he wants to use the POD as a preamp, then he only needs 2 cables and not worry about FX loops.

s

My friend.  Read his original post.  I'm responding to this quote of him not hearing anything in his 4CM attempt.  "I have tried the "4 cable method," and all I ended up with was a barely audible guitar sound."  Thanks though.  LOL.  

Hi folks, the "barely audible guitar sound" problem may be a result of the amp's FX loop type. If the amp has a series loop, then there should be no problem at all; try playing with the amp's Master Vol (if it has one) and the HD500's Master Vol. If your amp has a parallel loop then you may have an issue, as you will have signal leakage to earth through the amp volume control's preceding the FX return (even if you're not using 4CM). In this case try using the HD500's Master Vol and see if it helps.

FYI I have this issue; I have a Blackstar Series One and a Laney Lionheart, both great amps.

The Blackstar has a series loop with the Master Vol after the FX return. It can use either 4CM or just straight into the FX return from the HD500 and it works great. I have a massive range of top tones available to me.

The Laney has a parallel loop and no master volume; basically I get the same symptoms as you, and can really only use the HD500 as a pedalboard infront of the amp. You can of course get a tech to mod the amp; apparently on most amps it's not hard if you know what you're doing.

Let us know what amp you're using.

• Upvote 1