#21 charlyg

charlyg

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWest Hills, Ca

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'll go bring the amp out in a bit and see but I very much doubt it. I did hook an Eleven Rack up today thru the aux in. It works and sounds great, but a little limited on volume. I did use the output to amp vs the main output. I don't  know if that will make a difference. I don;t recall the vol being limited whenI hooked the HD bean to it. But alas, I no longer have the bean.

Guitars - '93 Epi Sheraton II, cheap Maestro hotrodded LPjr  Bass - '94 Epi NR Tbird V
Amps - AMPLIFi 150, Tweaker 15(head)>ADA SS(JBLs), Yamaha THR10, Ampeg MicroVR>PB-212
Pedals - Eleven Rack w/FCB1010(PROM2), Soul Food(JHS), 5 iStomp
Recording - iPad mini ,iTrack Solo, Sonic Port

#22 mjc02865

mjc02865

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

I thought he said USB port to DAW -- can't remember for sure but that was my distinct impression was USB. I can't remember where I saw it but pretty sure it was a comment under a review or YouTube video. Later tonight I'll try to do some back-tracking to find it.

#23 charlyg

charlyg

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWest Hills, Ca

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Ok, the Win 8 laptop sees the USB, it does the little ding thingy.... However, when you go into control panel, you see an orange triangle. Basically, it must have power but no "connection"  programmed.

Guitars - '93 Epi Sheraton II, cheap Maestro hotrodded LPjr  Bass - '94 Epi NR Tbird V
Amps - AMPLIFi 150, Tweaker 15(head)>ADA SS(JBLs), Yamaha THR10, Ampeg MicroVR>PB-212

#24 archtopeddy

archtopeddy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I read somewhere that some kid (it was his father who wrote the comment) was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

Here's what I think you were thinking about.  This quote is from a posting on this forum by a father about the amp and his son. It's under the topic/thread Good Review: 

"...agree with the idea of having a dedicated output port as my son has already figured out how to route the output to his input device to the DAW."   AE

#25 luisgarciaalanis

luisgarciaalanis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Ok, the Win 8 laptop sees the USB, it does the little ding thingy.... However, when you go into control panel, you see an orange triangle. Basically, it must have power but no "connection"  programmed.

It means the device was found but Windows does not know what to do with it, it does not recognize it as anything it knows about. This means either we are missing a driver or a firmware update to the Amplifi will make the USB port appear to windows as a input device (mic that sends sounds).

#26 charlyg

charlyg

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWest Hills, Ca

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

I was tryin to be non technical in my post :) (retired desktop tech)

#27 sonny666

sonny666

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland UK

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Ok.....thank you for all the great advice people. I finally took the plunge and went for the Amplifi 150. I must admit I thought long and hard and took everyone's advice into consideration. 

I just play now and again when I get the chance and thought the 150 would fit my needs perfectly. Like I have already mentioned I don't gig or have much time to home record anymore ( still have my Yamaha AW16G from a few years back gathering dust ) so just wanted it really to get back into the guitar and have some fun. The reason I was looking at the Hd500x in the first instance was to get the best quality for my money which I think I would of gone with if I was going to spend more time and effort with the guitar and the Hd500x.

So therefore with that in mind I purchased the 150 for ease of use and the tone match capabilities to jam along with.

Ok first impressions...........I tried the amp as a music speaker.......WOW....bloomin fantastic. I can honestly say it really does sound impressive and it's very loud.

I know......I know  it's a guitar amp and I should be really testing that feature first but I could not resist the temptation of seeing what it could do with the neighbors out and family out shopping!!!

Right down to the amp, like I say it is loud and yes loud enough to gig with. Now its no Marshall TSL 2000 with a1960A 4x12 cab but still its going to get a job done.

The app works fine and is so easy to use, very good on the phone but is alot more fun to use on ipad, purely down to the screen size and layout.

The amp itself is quite small, well smaller than I expected and if im honest looks a little plasticity, but it is actually very solid and could take a knock or two. Ok now for the tones...................

The tone match part will obviously get better over time as more people publish tones but at the moment you can get lucky and your chosen song might have alot of published tones to choose from. On the other hand it may not and you will end up with a few tones that hang around on every street corner!

The only issue Im finding at moment is getting a tone to sound.......well........not muffled. What  I mean by this is well no matter what I try the tone still sounds as if its been played in the next room (slight exaggeration) or with a blanket over the amp. 

It just does not have that sparkle to cleans or that bite to distortions. I have messed around with eq's, presets,parameters the lot but still I cannot get that dirty, gritty sound I would expect from say a marshall. It just don't seems to, how should I put this, feel alive.....maybe it's just me and im expecting too much.

I know these are not the real deal amps and just digital copies but there just is something missing.........HD perhaps ..lol.

There is no denying the amount thats on offer for the price is fantastic and im sure I will end up loving this amp,  just hope I can get the tones to feel more alive (well to my ears ) in the future.                                                           

#28 archtopeddy

archtopeddy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

I read somewhere that some kid (it was his father who wrote the comment) was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

Here's what the statement from the earlier post said.

(This quote is from a posting on this forum by a father about the amp and his son. It's under the topic/thread Good Review)

"...agree with the idea of having a dedicated output port as my son has already figured out how to route the output to his input device to the DAW."

I think it sounds like he might have used the headphone jack.   AE

#29 Tmidiman

Tmidiman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

I say go with Amplifi. You will not be disappointed with the tones you archive and the ease of use.

#30 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

The only issue Im finding at moment is getting a tone to sound.......well........not muffled. What  I mean by this is well no matter what I try the tone still sounds as if its been played in the next room (slight exaggeration) or with a blanket over the amp.

I would expect this nuance is likely because the AMPLIFi does not have 'output' modes; not at least that I know of. I know it has that 'blend' knob, to dial between clean vs processed tone.

The 'other room' sound is actually exactly how I think about using the HD500 in 'studio/direct' mode. I think of it as my amp is in an isolation room, and I am in the control room. I am thinking about it as hearing the amp+microphone+room > into a mixer, through full range / flat response speakers.

I would imagine as L6 has more time to tweak the control function of the iOS and Android app interface, we will likely see an improved response to adjusting tone. As it is now, it seems like they intentionally left off the majority of standard tone controls, so as to not need a two way link between amp and app.

For example, when using L6link between a DT and an HD500, the tone controls on either device adjust settings on the other device. Turn a knob on the DT and you see it turn on screen on the HD500.

For the ease and quality of function, I'd imagine that type of back and forth isn't pratical / possible with Bluetooth and an app. I guess if it was, we'd already have wireless VDI and wireless L6Link!

I'd know what to say to help you get proper tone from the gear I am familiar with, but with this gear, it's all a new frontier.

Dang, though now you made me want to try one out at Guitar Center!!! :)

"Searching for a distant star, Heading off to Iscandar

Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amplifi, hd500x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users