Photo

Variax Ghost Notes In Alternate Tunings With Newest Workbench.

variax alt tunings workbench

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dkeefer

dkeefer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hello,

Im interested in seeing if anyone else is having these problems. I've seen some older posts but no answers.

I have a couple of variax guitars, a 300 and a 700 that have worked flawlessly for years. When I upgraded workbench (I had to for OS 10.8 mac) I went in and edited some alternate tunings on both guitars. Now both guitars are sounding ghost notes (I'm hearing the altered pitch and the regular string).

I am absolutely positive that I am not hearing the strings from the guitar itself as I cranked it through headphones and also recorded direct.

I contacted Line6 but have not heard back (it's been a few days). They said they had to research and get back with me. In the meantime they told me to re-flash one of the variax. This didn't solve the problem.

It seems to me that it is a software issue as both guitars started mis-behaving only after editing with the upgraded workbench.

I tried to open an older workbench but it freezes up.

Has anyone else had this problem. Any fixes?   Thanks!

Variax 300

Variax 700

throughh pod xt live

Mac intel OS 10.8.5

#2 65jaguar

65jaguar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hello,

Im interested in seeing if anyone else is having these problems. I've seen some older posts but no answers.

I have a couple of variax guitars, a 300 and a 700 that have worked flawlessly for years. When I upgraded workbench (I had to for OS 10.8 mac) I went in and edited some alternate tunings on both guitars. Now both guitars are sounding ghost notes (I'm hearing the altered pitch and the regular string).

I am absolutely positive that I am not hearing the strings from the guitar itself as I cranked it through headphones and also recorded direct.

I contacted Line6 but have not heard back (it's been a few days). They said they had to research and get back with me. In the meantime they told me to re-flash one of the variax. This didn't solve the problem.

It seems to me that it is a software issue as both guitars started mis-behaving only after editing with the upgraded workbench.

I tried to open an older workbench but it freezes up.

Has anyone else had this problem. Any fixes?   Thanks!

Variax 300

Variax 700

throughh pod xt live

Mac intel OS 10.8.5

Variax 600 through Pod/xt Pro win XP  I gave up trying to solve this problem in Sept 2011. I got tired of arguing about whether or not i was hearing the unamplified strings through my headphones even when the sounds were blasting away in my ears. It is a sometimes its there sometimes it's not problem. I just don't used the alternate tuning that day and maybe the next time I try it it works without the ghost sounds. Or I use a real kapo when I want  it.  

What version of Workbench are you using? Are you usiing OS Mountain Lion? The reason I ask is that I just got a new Macbook Pro and from what I have read here it seems workbench will not work in Mavericks. in another thread i received a response saying there would be no further development of workbench to work in Mavericks. I am unhappy!!!  

#3 dkeefer

dkeefer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

I am using mountain lion. 
The trouble started when I upgraded to workbench 1.75 .I tried to go back to an older version but it would not work.  

It seems I may have found a solution for now. I borrowed a friends PC and installed an older version of workbench. So far it seems like it's working but to tell the truth I have become so annoyed with it I haven't sat down and  tested it.

I used to be a big fan of Line6. I own 3 variaxes and a pod xt and enjoyed using all of them without a problem.

The main reason I use them is for the alternate tunings so I guess my "old technology" is destined for craigslist.

One variax is listed on ebay right now.

#4 dkeefer

dkeefer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Variax 600 through Pod/xt Pro win XP  I gave up trying to solve this problem in Sept 2011. I got tired of arguing about whether or not i was hearing the unamplified strings through my headphones even when the sounds were blasting away in my ears. It is a sometimes its there sometimes it's not problem. I just don't used the alternate tuning that day and maybe the next time I try it it works without the ghost sounds. Or I use a real kapo when I want  it.  

What version of Workbench are you using? Are you usiing OS Mountain Lion? The reason I ask is that I just got a new Macbook Pro and from what I have read here it seems workbench will not work in Mavericks. in another thread i received a response saying there would be no further development of workbench to work in Mavericks. I am unhappy!!!  

I am using mountain lion. 
The trouble started when I upgraded to workbench 1.75 .I tried to go back to an older version but it would not work.  

It seems I may have found a solution for now. I borrowed a friends PC and installed an older version of workbench. So far it seems like it's working but to tell the truth I have become so annoyed with it I haven't sat down and  tested it.

I used to be a big fan of Line6. I own 3 variaxes and a pod xt and enjoyed using all of them without a problem.

The main reason I use them is for the alternate tunings so I guess my "old technology" is destined for craigslist.

One variax is listed on ebay right now.

#5 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

I am having the same problem with a Variax 700.  I was trying to enter a Drop D tuning with both E strings.  Curiously, there's a ghost note of the original E only on the high E string, but not on the low one.  I'm using a Mac with Mavericks.  If it's true that there will be no Mavericks upgrade, that would be a lousy move on Line 6's part, in my opinion.  The Variax guitars are not THAT old that they deserved to become unsupported.  I hope help is on the way.

#6 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

I have the same problem - two distinct notes being heard on only the first E string. Not THAT discernable when playing a chord, but absolutely distinct when playing only the first E. I don't use alt tunings THAT much, but it's definitely an issue.

In the past I don't recall it being an issue, but recently (since latest workbench update), I am conscious of it. I have a couple of transplants (from both 300 and 600), and they both display the same problem.

#7 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Correction: there are ghost notes on both the high and low E strings, and I checked the default open tunings, and it doesn't seem to matter which string: if the string is tuned to anything other than the standard note for that string, you get the ghost of that standard note along with your alternate tuned note.

I was able to find an old version of the Variax Workbench software, but it didn't fix the problem (still running off of Mavericks, though).  Both the old and new versions of the software use the same modeling files, it seems, so maybe the problem lies there?  I don't want to go too far out on that limb, since I don't know what I'm talking about.  I would like a fix, though, because the alternate tunings are now completely useless.  Can't say I'm happy about that.

#8 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Now I've also reflashed the 700, but to no avail: ghost notes are there on the alternate tunings on Custom 2.  This is very frustrating. It would be nice if Line 6 would come online and at least acknowledge the problem and assure us that a fix is on the way.

#9 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Now I've also reflashed the 700, but to no avail: ghost notes are there on the alternate tunings on Custom 2.  This is very frustrating. It would be nice if Line 6 would come online and at least acknowledge the problem and assure us that a fix is on the way.

I sympathize...the only thing I can offer as a suggestion is to check and see if perhaps the mags somehow got blended with the models accidentally in Workbench. I suspect that those who have this problem, even if Workbench indicates that no blending is going on, I think that's what's happening in the bowels of the electronics anyway. Obviously this is not the user's fault, but it's the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

With alt. tunings I absolutely hear my strings ringing acoustically, even with headphones, esp. with a clean tone (I have open back cans, which let a lot of ambient sound in...you could easily have a conversation with them on your head when nothing's playing) If I blast myself into next week with the volume, then it will drown it out...JTVs really ring like a bell. I've also recorded in the alt tunings, and there's never any obnoxious dissonance in the playback, so what I'm hearing is definitely the gutiar itself.

Would be nice if this got sorted out somehow...but I'm not entirely sure anybody really knows what's causing it.

#10 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11386 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

This thread talks about the older Variax models - the 300/700. They have no magnetic pickups - just modeling.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#11 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the note, cruisinon2, but you lost me with "mags somehow got blended with the models".  Do you mean magnets?  What  magnets?  I'm not a tech, I just play the thing.  

I have isolation headphones, I don't hear much of anything with them on, so I know that I'm not hearing the strings ring acoustically.  In addition, I had someone pluck the strings while I was standing about six feet away from the guitar, and the ghost notes were in the headphones.  Acoustic ringing is most definitely not the problem.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me some thoughts on the topic. Cheers.

#12 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Ah, silverhead shines some light into a dark corner: the JTV's have physical pickups in addition to the models, hence the magnets reference.  Thanks!

#13 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Ah, silverhead shines some light into a dark corner: the JTV's have physical pickups in addition to the models, hence the magnets reference.  Thanks!

Sorry...you did say you have the older Variax...my bad, I ran right past that.

#14 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I doubt that it's a FW problem since not everyone is complaining about it.  These are obsolete products so Line6 is unlikely to release any changes to them.

#15 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

I'll add that I bought this guitar in 2007 and was perfectly happy with it.  I had one custom tuned guitar set up, and it worked beautifully all these years.  Then I tried to add another this week, and that's where things took a turn for the worse.  Now all the alternate tunings, including my custom one and the factory ones, have the ghost notes, rendering the alternate tunings portion of the guitar useless to me.  I can still use the different models, as long as they do not vary from the physical tuning of the guitar.  But one of the main reasons I used the guitar was for the quick switch to alternate tunings.

So what changed in the setup?  Well, the operating system on the Mac, and the software supplied by Line 6.  Everything else is the same.  Now I know that Mavericks (the latest operating system incarnation) changed some things about how audio is handled on the Mac, making some software like Wiretap Everywhere give up the ghost, but I'm not sure if that's what the issue is.

Next up is to try the approach taken by dkeefer, above: find a PC and an old version of the software.  I can find the former, where do I get the latter?

Thanks to everyone (but Line 6) for the help and thoughts thus far. Cheers.

#16 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Go back to your old FW and SW and see if they go away.

#17 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11386 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Next up is to try the approach taken by dkeefer, above: find a PC and an old version of the software.  I can find the former, where do I get the latter?

You can still download the software from this website, under the Support -> Downloads tabs. Just select Variax (or Variax 300/600) as the Product.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#18 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

You can still download the software from this website, under the Support -> Downloads tabs. Just select Variax (or Variax 300/600) as the Product.

Thanks, I'll do that.  Once I have tried it, I'll post how it went and whether it fixed the issue.

#19 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have now spent all day reflashing, reinstalling, using different combinations and versions of the firmware, Workbench, and the Mac operating system (haven't gotten my hands on a PC yet), all to no avail.  I rolled the firmware back to version 3.05 (next version is the current 3.10, apparently), I used Workbench going back to version 1.51, and Mac OS X back to 10.6.8

I have done all I can, I think.  Even the factory default alternate tunings on Custom 2 have the ghost notes, where they did not before.  And no, they are NOT acoustically ringing (I used the isolation headphones).

I bought the 700 in 2007, and have had no problems with it at all until now.  I like playing it, and hope functionality regarding the alternate tunings will be restored soon via a firmware update or something.

I'm open to suggestions at this point. Thanks to everyone posting here.

#20 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

If the old FW does it and it was fine before it's not a FW problem!  Line6 isn't going to ever release new FW for a 700.  You can send it to them for repair since something has gone wrong with it.

#21 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

The old FW doesn't do it (at least the 3.05 didn't).  I just found a CD with the 3.0 firmware on it, I'll give that a try.

#22 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Then you will have to use the old FW that doesn't do it.

#23 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

What I meant by "doesn't do it" was "doesn't alleviate the problem", not "doesn't exhibit the problem".  I should have been less ambiguous.  Meanwhile, the flash memory indicator in Monkey says "Unknown" under the installed column, and it won't update the flash anymore, saying that a timeout has occurred.  Grr.

#24 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

You are the one that said the old FW doesn't do it.  I assumed you meant that it doesn't have ghost notes with the old FW.  If that is not the case then a FW fix isn't what you need.  You need a HW fix.

#25 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

You're right, Charlie, I said it, and I noticed after your comment that my statement about "doesn't do it" was ambiguous, and could be interpreted another way, so I wanted to clear up what I meant.  The FW rollback to 3.05 did not fix it, nor did the rollback to the 3.00 version.  And now the Monkey says the FW version is "unknown", and the guitar has a single crappy sounding model available, and I can't update the FW at all.  You may be right, it may be a hardware issue at this point.

#26 roger111

roger111

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

I've tried pretty much everything now to get my 700 running again: different computers, different versions of the operating system, different cables, different versions of firmware and Monkey.  The only thing left is the interface.  I have a USB Variax interface.  Can anyone tell me if I can hook up a 700 to the computer through an HD 500 and/or 500X?  I'd be willing to invest in one, since I was considering getting one anyway.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: variax, alt tunings, workbench

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users