Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Come Back To Us, Prodigal Company. An Open Letter.

scheater5

Did you guys see it! Oh I'm so excited....They just put up a new outside-device tethered modeler with ten year old modeling! Things are looking up 1 (SARCASM)

Maybe you need to look into Fractal Audio's Axe Fx II as more of a pro level setup?  Get's good press anyway....

That would be nice....As soon as people start wanting to pay original metal bands, maybe I can afford an AxeFX. Until then I'm stuck with reasonably priced options. If Roland/Boss is gonna actually start supporting their products after release I might have to check out a GT-100.

Could you image Apple releasing an iPhone with a ten year old OS? 

That would be nice....As soon as people start wanting to pay original metal bands, maybe I can afford an AxeFX. Until then I'm stuck with reasonably priced options. If Roland/Boss is gonna actually start supporting their products after release I might have to check out a GT-100.

Could you image Apple releasing an iPhone with a ten year old OS? 

Roland/Boss do not even make computer apps to do patch librarian tasks.  What exactly is wrong with your Line6 gear again?  Not being a smart Alec, just curious....

As an Android user, I was impressed when Apple released iOS 7 because they'd finally reached near Android OS capabilities...

I can't do two different output options, requiring exterior devices for in-ear monitor and micing for the FOH, even with a user-written guide I F**KING HATE the EQs, some of the effects clip so easily it require OTHER effects to adjust volume, I have to compromise on all of my ambient patches cause I can't stack stuff the way I want without running into the DSP limit, along with some randomly wierd looper behavior (playing a sound back before I hit play, playing something that I recorded before I shut the unit down, starting to loop at random; I've only had each of these things happen maybe twice in the last year, so its VERY intermittent).

Otherwise I love the amp modeling and the form factor.

and actually, Boss just released (or is about to) a PC editor as well as a Firmware update, along with a desktop GT!

Well now there's news.

I am pretty sure my experimentation with modeling is about done now that I have the HD500 and a JTV59.  I would never use this setup at a paying gig because it gets too wonky at times, like screeching noises, random pops, slow patch switching and my string levels on the guitar get out of whack..  Moreover, what I play doesn't require anything really complex anyway.  bacically a decent clean amp with some light compression, overdirve and a bit of delay.  I do have a couple of overdrives available to use separately or to stack if needs be, along with my swirly pedal (a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe) and a bone simple looper made by TC Electronics called the Ditto.  Plus I have a "vintage" Yamaha FG-365s I've had since I bought it new in 1979 if I want acoustic sounds.

I honestly do like my POD rig, don't get me wrong.  When I want to try things that I can't easily do elsewhere, it is a ton of fun to play with.  But I like my other gear way more and I have been doing it this way for a pretty long time and the comfort level is just higher for me.

http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/1965_amp_catalog3.jpg

the amp on the left is my first. don't ask me what happened to it. my old man got it for 50 bucks. and it wasn't even my birthday

Way cool...love those kinds of things myself!

Don't know whose Flickr this is, but it took me back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/with/2983603730

that console tv 4 rows down was in the living room! how 'bout that?

I think we might have as well, although I seem to remember Zenith TVs mostly.  I remember taking tubes down to the Five & Dime to test them on the tube tester there.  That is when I first got interested in tubes because they truly seemed magical to me at age 8 or 9.  When I was in the Air Force, I worked on KC-135 MC-1 autopilot systems and I had extensive tube theory in school for that, and it only made me feel more like they are magical devices.  Yeah, I know that solid state circuits and now digital modeling are pretty amazing too, but damn if I don't still feel like tubes are magical whilst digital is trickery.

i still think vinyl is better than cd's. i don't care what anybody says.  :angry:

Neil Young is trying to fix the abysmal state of MP3 music, and return the level of fidelity to it's former glory.  Check out the PONO music effort he is founding, and all the recording engineers, producers, executives and artists who are on board for this.  Seriously, this could change everything -- again.

http://www.ponomusic.com

Neil Young is trying to fix the abysmal state of MP3 music, and return the level of fidelity to it's former glory.  Check out the PONO music effort he is founding, and all the recording engineers, producers, executives and artists who are on board for this.  Seriously, this could change everything -- again.

http://www.ponomusic.com

I think this is a cool idea in theory, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around this ever becoming a popular standard. 90% (probably more like 95%) of listeners are casual at best and wouldn't know the difference between washy highs of a low quality MP3 or the clarity of higher resolution formats, and most of the people are gonna plug whatever device they have their music on into $10 ear buds, overcorrected sound docks, or stream via BT to a standard home stereo. Unless the hardware is very affordable or there is a huge shift in the market from quantity to quality, its gonna be an audiophile thing only. There are already high definition audio players out there

I think this is a cool idea in theory, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around this ever becoming a popular standard. 90% (probably more like 95%) of listeners are casual at best and wouldn't know the difference between washy highs of a low quality MP3 or the clarity of higher resolution formats, and most of the people are gonna plug whatever device they have their music on into $10 ear buds, overcorrected sound docks, or stream via BT to a standard home stereo. Unless the hardware is very affordable or there is a huge shift in the market from quantity to quality, its gonna be an audiophile thing only. There are already high definition audio players out there

Anyone can be part of a standard.  I will always choose to push the standard higher, even pushing it asaide if needs be, wherever and whenever I can.  Just my outlook on life in general.

That Fiio player looks nice as well.  MP3s suck at anything less than 192k in my opion, and they certainly aren't "hi fidelity".

Anyone can be part of a standard.  I will always choose to push the standard higher, even pushing it asaide if needs be, wherever and whenever I can.  Just my outlook on life in general.

That Fiio player looks nice as well.  MP3s suck at anything less than 192k in my opion, and they certainly aren't "hi fidelity".

I'm with you on pushing standards, and I would appreciate the higher fidelity. Having had several other discussions about this product in the last year with several people it seems some people (mostly mix engineers, go figure) think that this is going to, or should, replace everyone's iPods/Smartphones as everyday music players, and I don't see that ever happening. I think that it may reach enough of an audience to be a high-priced boutique digital option like the digital equivalent of a $5000 turntable.

I'm with you on pushing standards, and I would appreciate the higher fidelity. Having had several other discussions about this product in the last year with several people it seems some people (mostly mix engineers, go figure) think that this is going to, or should, replace everyone's iPods/Smartphones as everyday music players, and I don't see that ever happening. I think that it may reach enough of an audience to be a high-priced boutique digital option like the digital equivalent of a $5000 turntable.

Well, your point about the average music consumer is well taken too....most couldn't tell the difference in audio quality with a gun to their heads anyway.  Still, it's nice to know there are alternatives out there that are as convenient as MP3s without sacrificing all of the quality and dynamic range.  I have all my music (some 900+ CDs) ripped to Lossless WMA format at present so I already have a decent library to use with the FiiO player.  Do you have one of those, BTW?  Any opinion if so?

nope, I have used one that someone else, but with modest headphones so there wasn't a huge difference. I could definitely tell the difference listening to self-ripped vinyl vs. remastered CD quality, though. I'm fine with my earbuds and my iPod for my casual listening, and I use my interface and AKG cans at home for anything crucial. I do most of my listening at work or biking, so transportabiliy and disc volume are a deciding factor, I still keep my mp3 collection @ 320 kbps or VBR, though.

• 2 months later...

There have been a lot of negative posts in this thread and, by the sound of it (or maybe the lack of sound), they are well deserved. In the interests of some balance I have been using a JTV into an HD500 weekly for 2 and a half years with  no issues apart from not liking the JTV v2.00 update (rolled it back). Hell, I even spilled a full pint of beer into the HD500 once and it STILL worked!!

Just sayin'

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

computer junk.....

Went back to  REAL guitars and amps&analog effects.

Modeling will NEVER replace a well built axe, too many variables.

Done with the constant stuff associated  w/Line6, updates

& products and ???? support. Much more depth and body back to our sound without a MONKEY being involved....................

Now everything actually works! And I don't need an expert anymore, 'cause I ain't got no questions

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY !!!!!!

Gotta go.....We're booked solid.

See You On The Radio..............           Chuckie &

The Band