Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper Always Sends Through Effects, Hd500

Tyguy7

I've read that the looper will ignore your selected effects if you record your loop in "POST" mode.  This isn't true for me.  No matter what mode I record a loop in, it ALWAYS takes on the patch that I have selected.  If I record pre, it just records my dry signal, and then when I switch back to normal effects mode, it sends that loop through my effects along with my live guitar input.  If I record in POST, it records my signal with all engaged effects, and then when I switch back to normal mode, it passes that EFFECTED signal through the effects AGAIN.  Distortion X2.

This makes the looper pretty much useless to me.  I can't seem to find any posts regarding the same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I've read that the looper will ignore your selected effects if you record your loop in "POST" mode.

Well, if you did read that somewhere, it's wrong.

Pre and post refers to where the looper is in the signal chain, and if you're in the signal chain view, you'll see it move when you hit the pre/post switch. Everything you said regarding the loop being recorded with or without effects is true. If you have the looper set to pre, it will record the loop dry. If you change it to post after you've recorded a loop, it will still be your dry track being looped, and it won't sound very good most likely. The pre setting is useful if you want to experiment with different effects or amp models in your tone. In a live situation, it could possible be useful if you wanted to play the same part with different effects applied to it at different time. The post setting is probably more useful, though, because it records the track with the effects and amp modeling applied, and once you stop recording that track won't change. If you want to record a clean track and play over it, the best way to do it is to keep the looper in post position throughout the whole time. You can either turn the effects off in the patch you're in, record a clean track, and then turn on effects for overdubs, or you could switch to a different patch altogether.