Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500x

jjgimlour

Hi guys, not been here for a while. Need some opinions because I've been reading some mixed reviews on this unit. My son has taken up guitar and keeps stealing my bloody HD500, so I promised I would give it to him when I buy a new unit. I'm going to get said unit tomorrow, and the natural choice would be the 500X as I have used L6 products for a lot of years now and in general love them. What's worrying me is have the bugs been ironed out? If they haven't I'm just going to keep the 500 and buy my son something else, maybe even another 500 2nd hand. Thoughts?

Cheers

never mind the bollocks... get the 500X.  There will undoubtedly be a firmware update somewhere down the line.  The extra DSP and improved FS are worth the price of admission.  Honestly, I know there are a few bugs, I wish the EQ was different, but I would buy this again in a heartbeat and if I was going to upgrade I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 500X...

3, 2, 1, ... let the haters begin... lol...

• Upvote 1

I recently went from an HD500 to HD500X and was pleasantly surprised at the usefulness of that extra 20% dsp. As others have said, the other difference is better footswitches.

Something is different about the power supply also. The 500X has a green light, the 500 has (I can't remember, but not green). The 500X turns on almost immediately, whereas the 500 usually has a one or two second pause before turning on. That could suggest different circuitry.