Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-69 Middle Pickup Woes

My JTV-69's middle pickup has quit working.  :(

I opened her up to see if there was a loose wire that had become disconnected, but couldn't see any problem.

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem with your magnetic pickups?

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone strolls by,  my experience with this same issue turned out to be with the 5-pos switch. The 3rd position was the problem. Contact cleaner dripped in there will fix it for a while.

• 3 years later...

Also reviving an old thread but I had the same problem and I think I have a good fix. Like Kevbo4, the problem was the 5 way selector switch affecting the middle pickup. The switch assembly comprises the mechanical part and a small narrow pcb that the pickup wiring is soldered to. The pcb is connected to the mechanical switch via tiny crimps - like rivets. Those rivets corrode and make a bad contact with the copper on the switch. Fortunately, after unscrewing the switch assembly from the scratch plate, the bad joint was just visible and accessible without unsoldering any of the wiring. I was able to flow a tiny amount of solder over the bad joint, hopefully resulting in a permanent fix. Other similar joints were not accessible so I guess it's only a matter of time until another joint goes bad. Time will tell. I recommend using a good quality soldering iron with a small tip (eg. for electronics work) and good quality solder (also for electronics work) with a flux that will cut through the corrosion. Maybe this will help someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

To quote: "magnetics have a limited frequency response with emphasis in mid range, while piezo has a wide, flat response, from 10hz-100Khz"

Like I said, it's better to get as much of the natural tone of the strings, before the magnetic pickups rolls off the high and low end, but like I said, piezo pickups just have too much of a difference in dynamics in reacting to the string

String tension to piezo is key to the piezo having good mechanical to electric transfer. Optimum string set gauges are 10's and 11's.

After string tension and piezos, the rest is DSP. Workbench HD is good for adjusting things where you want it.