11 replies to this topic

#1 IzzyBlues93

IzzyBlues93

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hey guys, I recently got my UX2 and it's great stuff.

However, I have a pair of M-Audio DSM2 Studio Powered monitors hooked up to the L/R analog inputs with 1/4 cables to the UX2. I can't seem to get sound out of it. If I plug my headphones with a 3.5mm to a 1/4 adaptor into the headphone output, it works.

I understand I can try using a Y cable from my studio monitors and then plugging that into the headphone output on the UX2, but I have already spent $36 on two 1/4 cables, I'd rather not spend anymore on cables. If I can't get this to work, then I suppose I'll buy the Y cable as a last resort.

OK, on a second thought I thought I'd upload some pictures to help illustrate the situation.

----------------

OK, so this is a picture is of my current setup at the moment. You can clearly see my two studio monitors and my UX2.

http://i.imgur.com/EEMmryc.jpg

This second picture is of the 1/4 cables that are connected to the analog outs of the UX2. The cable that is connected to 2/R is connected to the speaker on the right hand side of my desk. The cable that is connected to 1/L is connected to the speaker that is on the left hand side of my desk which you can see in image one. Have I plugged this in correctly?

http://i.imgur.com/5dUVh6h.jpg

I have also tried setting "Speakers Line 6 UX2 Device" as the default device, you can see what I mean in the picture below.

http://i.imgur.com/Iu6wATR.png

Is there something I am missing? I would surely appreciate the help as I am a beginner for recording music. I've been playing guitar for years though.

Regards,

Izzy

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15374 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

check the line6 applet in the control panel to see if the outputs are muted there? can't recall if there's a setting like that there... but from the pictures you've looked at alot of the usual places.

#3 IzzyBlues93

IzzyBlues93

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

Could you tell me where that is? I can't find it.

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15374 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

go to the control panel on your computer, there should be a line6 audio midi icon...

it will only be there if you have the drivers etc installed...

also make sure that you are not using anything like ASIO4ALL.

#5 IzzyBlues93

IzzyBlues93

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

OK, well I just tried connecting it through SPDIF and it's working. Just not with the 1/4 cables.

#6 Triryche

Triryche

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4997 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Is it possible there is a setting on your monitors for analog vs SPDIF?

That is the case with my JBL's, I can toggle between different inputs.

#7 IzzyBlues93

IzzyBlues93

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm not sure to be honest. I'll test the sound out with SPDIF, but is there a difference in sound between having a SPDIF input and the 1/4 analog inputs from the speakers? I'd imagine there wouldn't be so?

#8 Triryche

Triryche

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4997 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Quality wise you would be hard pressed to hear the difference.

But if I remember correctly, with SPDIF there is no Master Output control from the Output knob of the UX2, but I am not 100% sure.

#9 Triryche

Triryche

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4997 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

There is an input select switch on the back.

Check out page2

http://www.m-audio.c...009Oct01_EN.pdf

I would confirm the analog outs work just to be sure there are no hardware issues with the UX2, especially if you are in a return window/warranty period.

#10 IzzyBlues93

IzzyBlues93

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'll check it out tommorow, but doesn't that mean if I select the analog switch on the speakers, I won't be able to listen to music from my computer (iTunes, etc)? My speakers are connected to my soundcard via SPDIF, so if I was to switch from digital to analog, the digital from my sound card won't register to the speakers?

The SPDIF connection works and if I select the UX2 as the default device, music plays through the speakers (iTunes, etc) and I am able to get sound out of Podfarm.

So essentially, I just wasted $36 for an option that isn't viable in my situation? lol

Considering there's hardly a difference in sound between analog and SPDIF, it's not worth switching the speakers every single time I wanted to use Podfarm.

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15374 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

the UX2 will become your soundcard and anything played on your computer would come through the analog outputs of the UX2... no switching anything....

#12 Triryche

Triryche

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4997 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Whether  you use digital or analog, when you use the UX2 as an audio interface it becomes your (external) sound card soit  will play all you computer sounds, i-Tunes, Youtube, ect.

So if you prefer to only plug your UX2 in via USB for jamming and your computer is connected via SPDIF, then yes, that is fine too. But I assuming you would b swapping out the SPDIF connection from computer to UX2, which I guess is easier than flipping a switch on the back of each monitor.

I doubt you wasted $36, a set of cables will come in handy sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users