Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Home Recording: - Speakers. Noob Questions

StephenSLR

Hi all,

I want to do some home recording and looking for advice on speaker set up.

I’m considering downloading Reaper as the programme.

From my understanding to get the best sound: POD HD500 > USB cable > Laptop (or PC)

The HD500 then becomes the sound card and I have to connect speakers to the ¼ inch  L Mono & R Mono outputs of the POD and not the Laptop speaker output.

I’m after some cheap speakers just so I can hear while I’m playing and how the effects sound while I’m recording.

Do I need to get an active set of speakers that I have to plug into a power board or can I get passive speakers that run off the POD?

Since I’m only interested in getting song ideas do I have to get both L& R speakers or is it just best to get both? I can always hear what I’ve recorded later on the laptop from the earphone jack.

The pod has ¼ inch outputs are there many speakers on the market with ¼ inch jacks or do I have to get adapters?

s

You need powered speakers that have either guitar or line level inputs.

Speakers with guitar inputs?

Any recommendations?

So I have to get cables that run from POD to speakers?

Can I use my guitar leads?

s

Yeah, you got it. The key, as you noted, is that the audio output to the speakers is connected to the POD. It will route the same signal to the 1/4", the headphone, and the XLR outs.

In a pinch, if you have a guitar amp with an FX return, just hook it up to that.

Or, get some nice KRK powered monitors! Though, any powered speaker system will do. Heck, plug it into any stereo receiver with an AUX input.

I have some XLR to RCA cables I use for recording, or as your image shows, really anything will do.

For home recording purposes I strongly recommend a pair of active (powered) studio monitors. Your old computer speakers will work but they will seriously colour the sound coming from the POD. That means after you have spent countless hours tweaking things so the sound from these little speakers is as good as it gets to your ears, you will then likely want to create a WAV or MP3 file and play your recording back on other devices like a home stereo system, your car stereo, your iOS device, ..... whatever. At that point you won't believe how bad it sounds, and how different from your recording environment.

That's because studio monitors are designed to be Full Range, Flat Response (FRFR) speakers. This means that these monitors reproduce the incoming sound faithfully, adding as little EQ (sound colouration) as possible. Typical playback devices (like the things listed above as well as your computer speakers) are expecting to receive an FRFR-controlled signal as input. Each of these non-FRFR devices then applies their own specific EQ and perhaps other processing to the input. So playing back a non-FRFR-controlled input signal (the one you tweaked in your recording so that it sounded OK when played back through your computer speakers) through another EQ'ing device typically sounds like, well.... lollipop.

Do yourself a favour and get studio monitors, at least 5" cone and preferably larger, limited by your budget. If you don't want to do this (at least not now) then understand that your recording will not likely sound good when played on any other equipment.

Do yourself a favour and get studio monitors, at least 5" cone and preferably larger, limited by your budget. If you don't want to do this (at least not now) then understand that your recording will not likely sound good when played on any other equipment.

Excellent, thanks.

s

Just doing a quick search, I could get a pair of Samson Resolv A5's they're within my budget.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/695436-samson-resolv-a5-active-studio-monitors.html

It states: 

1/4-inch balanced inputs as well as unbalanced RCA inputs 

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced, would these be suitable?

s

Just doing a quick search, I could get a pair of these within my budget.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/695436-samson-resolv-a5-active-studio-monitors.html

It states: 

1/4-inch balanced inputs as well as unbalanced RCA inputs 

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced, would these be suitable?

s

Funny you should mention those monitors; they're the ones I've been using for recording for several years. They work well for me. Only one caution: because they are only 5" I managed to blow one by playing a bass guitar a bit loud while recording one day........... :( My bad, but still cost me some repair $$. That's why I recommend at LEAST 5" - preferably bigger.

As for balanced and unbalanced, you really won't notice a difference with the short cable lengths involved in home studio recording. At live venues with cable lengths of 30' and more it can be an issue; balanced is better.

For the purpose of monitors for home recording I don't think there's any real disadvantage to not having XLRs unless you plan to use the HD500 XLR outputs to connect your monitors. In that case the disadvantage is the need for adapters or cables that are XLR one end and RCA/1/4" on the other.

For 5" studio monitors I would base my decision more on comparisons of price, reliability, and customer reviews than whether or not it has XLR inputs.

It's entirely up to you. You've already made a good choice by abandoning the idea of using your old computer speakers. You'll be happy with any of your candidates.

I use my Laptop with my HD500x all the time because it's much easier to change patches and select things with the EDIT program.  Much easier to see what is going on on the Laptop rather than on the display that is on the HD500x.  My eyes don't see down on the floor with a sh$t.

Yes, as long as they are plugged in to the power outlet and connected to the HD500 outputs. Your PC no longer plays any role in this setup unless you also want to use HD500 Edit.

Awesome, I may sell my practice amp and trade it in on the speakers, lol.

My eyes don't see down on the floor with a sh$t.

I'm usually sitting on the floor cross legged editing it, can only take half an hour at a time so that'd be welcome relief.

s

Anyone have any experience / opinions about Behringer monitors? They have a couple options in the 8" and 8.75" speaker size, for between $200-$250/each.

Behringer Truth B2031A 

Behringer Truth B1031A

Behringer Truth B3031A

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B3031A.aspx

Or, in a similar price point, M-Audio: (this one is new from NAMM 2014)

M-Audio BX8 Carbon

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/BX8Carbon.html

review:

M-Audio BX-8

press release:

M-Audio BX-8

Seems like a multitude of options for around $250/each, KRK has an option as well:

KRK Rokit 8

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-8.html

review:

KRK Rokit 8 (G3)

review:

Rokit5 G3

JBL also has a similar option:

JBL LSR308 8" Active Studio Monitor

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr308

JBL press release:

JBL LSR308

review:

JBL LSR308

Anyone have any experience / opinions about Behringer monitors? 

Yes, we did an outdoor show and it was sponsored by a music store that supplied the PA, foldback speakers, etc. The gear was all Behringer, we were one song in and the gear started sizzling for a bit before wisps of smoke started appearing from it.  It was reasonably quicky replaced while we stood on stage in the hot sun. After the gear was exchanged we got part way through another song and same thing happened with the replacement gear. We stood on stage for even longer in the hot sun and after that gear was replaced our set time was over and there were some upset fans who didn't get to hear us play.  We pretty much left straight after so not sure how the rest of the show went.

Quick impression:

Crash_Zeppelin_LZ18_%28LII%29.jpg

:(  I will never use Behringer.

s

Yeah, my experience with Behringer stage gear is not as epic; we used a Behringer 16 channel mixer and a pair of those powered speakers. Everything worked, it just was never great. The mixer has developed some channel inputs over time, but it held up for the most part.

I realized that $250/each price point for the studio monitors is a pretty even playing field. They for the most part have around 8" speakers, seems to vary from brand to brand in terms of power, and tweeters. Kevlar for the most part.

I was wondering, in terms of quality comparison ; What is a ribbon tweeter vs. silk dome?

I will have to add Samson to my compare list; they also have an 8" woofer speaker for $200/ea. Woven carbon fiber woofer, not sure how that compares to Kevlar?

Samson Resolv - SE8 8"

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/studio-monitors/resolv/resolvse8/

PreSonus also has one for $250/ea (kevlar 8" woofer)

PreSonus Eris E8

https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris

review:

Eris E8

Dang, too many options! Mackie: (polypropylene woofer)

Mackie MR8mk3

http://www.mackie.com/downloads/mrmk3/manuals/MR8mk3_OM.pdf

I just found these; still creeping up in price, and was wondering if they are worth the extra$$?

Yamaha HS8

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/speakers/hs_series/hs8/?mode=model

review:

http://www.musicvilla.com/yamaha-hs-series-powered-studio-monitors/

review:

Yamaha HS8

Last post, gotta do some research on my own - but for what it's worth, Zzounds is doing a cool little bundle for the KRK's:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP8G3

scroll down, on the right side they have a bundle option, $550 for two KRK's

and some other stuff - Nady mic, Samson mic, two mic stands, two XLR cables, and Nady headphones.

Cheers everyone!!

For the purpose of monitors for home recording I don't think there's any real disadvantage to not having XLRs unless you plan to use the HD500 XLR outputs to connect your monitors. In that case the disadvantage is the need for adapters or cables that are XLR one end and RCA/1/4" on the other.

I might be mistaken, but isn't the pods XLR out mic level? Which means they'll be much quieter than the 1/4" sockets...

Anyone have any experience / opinions about Behringer monitors? They have a couple options in the 8" and 8.75" speaker size, for between $200-$250/each.

I bought B2031A's as my first monitors. They were a bit cold and lifeless. One failed after about a year, just something in the power supply made a Pop! and a burning smell. The second failed after another 6 months, I just turned it on one day and it was totally dead. Both lasted just long enough so they weren't under guarantee anymore.

My Behringer 1832fx mixer suddenly died after 3 years of sitting on my table. Two of the channels were dead at that point.

All my non-behringer gear is in great shape. DO NOT fall for the 'Well, it's cheap, so I'll buy another if it fails!' scam that Behringer survive upon. You'll just suffer for years with poor sounding gear that eventually craps out at a bad time, then you'll suffer through another few years of the same bad gear all over again. Behringer is not money saving, it's cheap, nasty, junk.

Generally speaking, the more expensive gear holds its resale value much better (no one will buy used behringer). Since basically everything in your studio will be going through your monitors, do not be afraid to invest heavily in them. The only piece of gear in your studio which will get more use than your speakers, is your chair, so invest in a good one of those too :)

I agree with you 99%.

Behringer is almost all crap gear. But!

My bassist picked up a Behringer 300w bass head for $80 from a buddy, and it is still going strong as his backup. He's had an Ampeg head fail, and his Mark Bass head is giving him fits now. Intermittent silence when turned on etc..

When he found out his wife was divorcing him, he threw the Behringer through a TV and it still works.

Moral of the story: my bass player is unlucky.

I bought B2031A's as my first monitors. They were a bit cold and lifeless. One failed after about a year, just something in the power supply made a Pop! and a burning smell. The second failed after another 6 months, I just turned it on one day and it was totally dead. Both lasted just long enough so they weren't under guarantee anymore.

My Behringer 1832fx mixer suddenly died after 3 years of sitting on my table. Two of the channels were dead at that point.

All my non-behringer gear is in great shape. DO NOT fall for the 'Well, it's cheap, so I'll buy another if it fails!' scam that Behringer survive upon. You'll just suffer for years with poor sounding gear that eventually craps out at a bad time, then you'll suffer through another few years of the same bad gear all over again. Behringer is not money saving, it's cheap, nasty, junk.

Generally speaking, the more expensive gear holds its resale value much better (no one will buy used behringer). Since basically everything in your studio will be going through your monitors, do not be afraid to invest heavily in them. The only piece of gear in your studio which will get more use than your speakers, is your chair, so invest in a good one of those too :)

Funny you should mention those monitors; they're the ones I've been using for recording for several years. They work well for me.

Just got it delivered, they only sent one (Samson A5).  I should've checked the ad properly.

If it does the job I'm okay with it but is there any advantage of having two monitors versus one?

I guess for a band recording you do need both left and right channel but for personal use it should be okay right?

Also do you need two powerpoints for two speakers or do they link?

s

The advantage of the second speaker is that you will hear stereo - useful if you use any of the HD500 stereo FX. Yes, you will need a second electrical supply to the second monitor. A standard power bar will do the trick.

If you only use one monitor make sure your HD500 output is summed to mono. Use the L/MONO 1/4" output from the HD500.

I've given them a go and I'll have to do some more tweaking but I like the sounds.

There is one very annoying thing, I downtune to D and when I palm mute the open D string (C note) or palm mute other C notes, the C5 on the A string or even high on the E string I get a rather boomy 'honk'.

I think it's hitting the resonant frequency of the unit.  Do any of you experience this?

I'm on the verge of returning it, would a larger speaker have the same issue?

s

I've spoken to my dealer (no not that one) and I'm okay to return them and upgrade.

In my budget are KRK Rockit 5's and Mackie MR5's.

I'm reading on other forums and although subjective the Mackie's tend to get the more votes.

For all I know these guys are mixing dance music so any opinions on which to compliment the HD500?

s

I exchanged the Samson and picked up a pair of Mackie MR5 Mk.3's.  It's a vast improvement.

I still get the honking sound when I palm mute the open D string or D's elsewhere on the fretboard, I imagine the likelihood both brands have the same natural frequency that it must be the natural frequency of the guitar?

I notice if I barely mute further back on the bridge it eases off a little, not sure if I can EQ it out, any suggestions?

s