7 replies to this topic

#1 tomt6257

tomt6257

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

The volume control on my JTV-69 is scratchy and I am not enthused about having to remove the pickguard and guts to get to it to clean or replace.  My concern is disturbing the electronics/wiring.

Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to try this myself or have a tech do it( none of which I found have Variax specific experience) or send it back to Line 6.?

Thanks

#2 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

I've never looked under there, but one would hope that you could just spray some contact cleaner in there without too much drama. You should never have to ship a guitar anywhere to deal with a scratchy pot...if it needs to be replaced, I suppose that may be more complicated with these guitars. I think I've only had one volume pot die completely over the years, so hopefully that's not necessary. Dirty/scratchy pots are a frequent problem, however, and if the only way to deal with it is to ship it to L6, they've set themselves up for a whole lot of headaches for a problem that should take 0.84 seconds to solve with an aeresol can.

#3 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I agree with cruisinon2.  If the pot is scratchy I would not send the guitar for repair.  Ask for a replacement pot and do it yourself if you can.  Much less risk than shipping it.  (Or try contact cleaner but make sure you use the right stuff)

#4 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

I would strongly advise against anything labeled "Control Cleaner", as many of these leave a horrible oily residue that tends to get everywhere (and in my experience does not really protect things in the long term).  A very small shot of non-residue electronics cleaner should do the trick.  Spray it in an opening on the pot and immediately run the control back and forth through its full range a few times.  Watch your eyes when you push the button!  That stuff can come roaring back out at you :-)  

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#5 tomt6257

tomt6257

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the great replies.    Upon further investigation the scratchiness only occurs when in the modeling mode.This has been covered (but not completely resolved) in another thread.  So its something software based rather than dirt/grit in the pot.

#6 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

On my 500 I get that when connected to workbench.  My JTV pots are silent when connected to my Pod500x.

#7 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

On my 500 I get that when connected to workbench.  My JTV pots are silent when connected to my Pod500x.

I've noticed that with the JTV, too. Odd, but never happens without being connected to Workbench, so I can deal with it while tweaking things...as long as its quiet through the amp.

#8 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

The noise is the communication between the PC and the Variax over USB.  The older variax does that too.  Every time you turn the knob, there is info sent between  the Variax and WB running on the PC.  Don't worry about this since it only does it when running WB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users