Photo

Line Inputs Recordings Failed Since 1.10 Update

Best Answer davec69 , 04 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Success.  We were able to make a recording tonight of both the Main Outputs and the Line Inputs.  

We tried a bunch of things, including deleting folders on the PC, re-formatting the SD card, and nothing helped.   The SD card wasn't being recognized by the M20d. 

The fix for us was to create a brand new Setup from scratch.  I then added all of the instruments and microphones to the Stage again, did the usual auto trim.  After we did this, the SD card was recognized, and the recording was successful.

I have updated my support ticket with the steps that i went through.  Maybe someone smarter than me will chime and tell us what's going on.  All I can suggest is to try creating a new setup from scratch, if you are having problems with the M20d recognizing your SD card, or if your recordings are not working correctly.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Maybe that's our problem.   I have never saved anything after recording at a gig.  

Now that I think about it, I can't even remember stopping the recording after a show.  

Out of habit, I usually just quickly reach around and turn off the power before the other brainiacs in the band start unplugging their gear.

I just assumed that a real time recording to SD card, would have the tracks saved already.  

I do know that during the last rehearsal recording, we started and stopped the recorder a couple times.  All 3 of those take folders contained blank tracks.

We're rehearsing tonight, so I Will try again, and make some tests.  Any suggestions?

#22 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

I always stop/start recording. Just don't save the scene... 

#23 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have never made any attempt to save anything after making a recording, and my material is always there.  When you press stop it saves it and pressing record again starts another file.  The only reason I could see for having to save a scene would be if you want to play those files back through the system as they sounded that night ie; with the same eq, levels and effects.  Now, that's not to say that there isn't still some processing going on after you stop the recording.  It could very well be that if you power down the M20d before pressing stop on the recorder you could lose everything, or even if you do press stop perhaps you need to give the M20d a little more processing time before powering down.  But I don't think you need to save a scene in order to keep the recording.

#24 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have only recorded two shows. I didn't stop the recording. I just turned off the board and then ejected the card. I did happen to save a scene, and set up. My recordings were perfect. All channels. Some plugged into 1-6 and some plugged in to 7-12. But again,I was not recording the main outs.

#25 emmebbi

emmebbi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

The mixer automatically remember into its flash memory the last setup and scene used even if you did not save them. It takes all data waiting to be saved. Even if you turn it off, you'll find the same setup/scene turning it on again. But if you, before saving, extract or change the sd card, or load a new setup, all data that were into the flash memory waiting to be saved 'll be lost.
In the previous forum this problem was discussed a lot and someone from line6 said that the solution was to have always at last one setup and one scene saved. He said that it is a good rule to do all sound and immediately save one setup and one scene.
Since I follow this suggestion I've never lost one track.

#26 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Any news or any more light on the subject? 

I have work coming up with the M20d and I would like to know what I'm doing wrong so I can correct it...

#27 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I've been doing some tests... 

Here is a video I've done: 

Excuse my English... The video is unlisted so that only people in this topic con find it. 

The PC is connected to the M20d by analog cable. Pc Phones out -> M20d Aux in  

#28 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I can report that I tried recording again at last nights rehearsal.  Basically, we had Bass, Drums, Guitar and Vocals last night.  Went through the usual auto trim routine.  

We tried just recording one song, then stopped to see if we actually recorded anything.  I was able to playback the Main Out channel using the Media Player.  There was sound.  I then tried loading one of the line input tracks into the media player, and nothing.  After a couple attempts, we just gave up.

I'll wait to hear from someone who can figure it out.

One question while waiting.   Does muting the channel have any affect on the recording?  I was under the impression that the recording was taken pre fader.  We rehearse in a small space, and cranking all the instruments through the PA, while we record is not feasible.

#29 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Din't try recording main out... 

I'm pretty sure that all recording is pre-fader

Did you see my video? I can't even use quick capture!  :(

#30 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yes, I watched your video.  Our  problem is a little different.  

We actually get activity indicators when we record.  We can see the little green light going on and off.  We just don't have anything recorded afterwards.

Have you run the Auto Trim, to set the recording levels?

Are the Channels Muted?

What do your level meters look like on the setup page?  Can you see the level indicator moving?

Din't try recording main out... 

I'm pretty sure that all recording is pre-fader

Did you see my video? I can't even use quick capture!  :(

#31 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

This test was done with the aux in that is line level so no need for auto trim. 

No, the channel was not muted and I had reading on the meter. Very near 0Db actually.

So it should result in a near normalized recording with the higher peaks reaching the top of the scale.

#32 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I can report that I tried recording again at last nights rehearsal.  Basically, we had Bass, Drums, Guitar and Vocals last night.  Went through the usual auto trim routine.  

We tried just recording one song, then stopped to see if we actually recorded anything.  I was able to playback the Main Out channel using the Media Player.  There was sound.  I then tried loading one of the line input tracks into the media player, and nothing.  After a couple attempts, we just gave up.

I'll wait to hear from someone who can figure it out.

One question while waiting.   Does muting the channel have any affect on the recording?  I was under the impression that the recording was taken pre fader.  We rehearse in a small space, and cranking all the instruments through the PA, while we record is not feasible.

The recording is pre fader so muting does not affect the recording. The media player plays only stereo files so the recorded input channel tracks will not play in the media player. The recording should play if you just press play in the recording page. Since there seems to be some real problem I think the best way way to resolve this would be to talk to our customer service and find out what is going on.

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 3), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

#33 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

This test was done with the aux in that is line level so no need for auto trim. 

No, the channel was not muted and I had reading on the meter. Very near 0Db actually.

So it should result in a near normalized recording with the higher peaks reaching the top of the scale.

When using the Quick Capture buttons on the perform or Tweak pages the Aux Input is not recorded and the input channels 1- 16 are recorded to the internal memory, not to the SD card. When using the Record page it should be recorded and play. It is strange that there is no input signal visible on the record page in your video. I think if you talk to our customer service on the phone it is easier to find out what is happening here and to do whatever is necessary to resolve this.

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 3), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

#34 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

I just did another test with with an acoustic guitar plugged to channel 1 and every thing worked perfectly.

:blink: And now its recording the aux as well. No problems  :wacko:

This can't be random! Computers do not have random behaviors.

I'll try to repeat the test the times necessary to spot what is causing this.

If I can understand I can replicate and it will always work when I want it to.

And, of course, I'll post the results here and maybe LIne6 can solve this on the next firmware up date... 

#35 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the response!!

Is it possible to get someone from support to monitor this forum and reply to users?  

This is much more convenient ........well.........forum........for some users.  Trying to get a hold of phone support is fine, but personally, I'd be ok with posting questions and getting responses here.  

The added benefit would be that, all M20D users could benefit.

The recording is pre fader so muting does not affect the recording. The media player plays only stereo files so the recorded input channel tracks will not play in the media player. The recording should play if you just press play in the recording page. Since there seems to be some real problem I think the best way way to resolve this would be to talk to our customer service and find out what is going on.

#36 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Great idea, Davec69.

As you say, if the responses are posted here... we all get to learn... so that would mean the Line6 support guys would have to handle fewer calls about the same issue.

#37 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14796 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Actually the wireless forums, and the stagescape, stagesource forums are already an exception to this, as they are actively monitored by the project manager. No offense to the support guys... but the guys monitoring the aforementioned forums, really know these inside and out... I think you're getting a way better deal.

Is it possible to get someone from support to monitor this forum and reply to users?  

#38 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

If the issue gets resolved, then I'll agree with you.  So, far I've just got messages telling me how good a deal it is, and messages telling me to call to get the problem resolved.

Any techs around that can actually assist with the problem?

Actually the wireless forums, and the stagescape, stagesource forums are already an exception to this, as they are actively monitored by the project manager. No offense to the support guys... but the guys monitoring the aforementioned forums, really know these inside and out... I think you're getting a way better deal.

#39 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

I'm on the verge of deciding whether to buy or not... but this recording issue is one that's making me hold back and consider other options.

Also wondering about overall reliability of the hardware... any comments?

#40 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14796 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

this is a user forum... no techs here...

get in contact here: http://line6.com/company/contact/

if you want a direct response from line6.

If the issue gets resolved, then I'll agree with you.  So, far I've just got messages telling me how good a deal it is, and messages telling me to call to get the problem resolved.

Any techs around that can actually assist with the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users