Photo

Line Inputs Recordings Failed Since 1.10 Update

Best Answer davec69 , 04 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Success.  We were able to make a recording tonight of both the Main Outputs and the Line Inputs.  

We tried a bunch of things, including deleting folders on the PC, re-formatting the SD card, and nothing helped.   The SD card wasn't being recognized by the M20d. 

The fix for us was to create a brand new Setup from scratch.  I then added all of the instruments and microphones to the Stage again, did the usual auto trim.  After we did this, the SD card was recognized, and the recording was successful.

I have updated my support ticket with the steps that i went through.  Maybe someone smarter than me will chime and tell us what's going on.  All I can suggest is to try creating a new setup from scratch, if you are having problems with the M20d recognizing your SD card, or if your recordings are not working correctly.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Nothing new to add to this yet, but I just wanted to add myself to the list of people having this issue.  I wasted a lot of time last night (first time using the M20 with the full PA setup), before giving up in frustration.

I hope the L6 SW guys are working hard on finding a fix for this!  I'll try some of the suggestions in this thread when I get a chance, and will report back...

#62 KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Okay, I've just had another try.  Not looking good....

I created a new setup with just one acoustic guitar going direct to input 13.  Same problem.  I tried creating a new folder on the SD card, and I also tried recording to a USB hard drive.  It was recognised, and I could create a folder there too, but had the same problem with blank recorded files.

So, it seems this isn't specific to SD cards - any external storage media seems to have the same issue.

Quick Capture works flawlessly with the same settings, so I know it's not user error...

#63 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

When you play back on the M20d make sure that you are using the setup you made the recording with or that you have input channels on stage that correspond to the recording. For example if you recorded a channel assigned to input 13 there needs to be an input channel assigned to input 13. Also please make sure that you have the option "record inputs" or "record inputs and main mix" active.

If you take the SD card out or change it or if you change the setup you need to open the correct folder on the SD card using the menu in the upper left corner. If there is a question mark the recording path is not correct.

When the card is pulled out without pressing the stop button the files can be corrupted and seem "empty."

#64 KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi Arne

I'm trying to replay the recordings as soon as they've been created.  So, nothing has changed in the setup between recording and playback.  I always use "record inputs and main mix".

The recording path is correct, and I've not disconnected anything prior to pressing stop.

In short, I've done everything according to the instructions.  It simply isn't working

#65 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

That seems very strange. Please contact our customer service to find out what is going on there.

Call Line 6 Technical Support
To help us better assist you, please register your product and complete your support profile.

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 3), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

#66 KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

Unfortunately their opening hours coincide exactly with my work hours (understandable I guess), which means that's the one time of day I won't be able to have the unit in front of me to test out any suggestions.   :wacko:

Can I submit a ticket online?  

#67 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

So,

today we did a complete band session and tried to record again. And surprise: Recording was working very well. For all lines and main mix. My fault was that I didn´t crank up the master volume of the M20d to 0 dB last time we tried. We just had our active speakers turned up. So, we reduced volume of the speakers and turned the master volume up on the M20d.

The tip with navigating to the root of the SD card was superb. First it didn´t recognize the SD card, but was fine when I navigated to the root of the file explorer on the M20d and then clicked on the SD card.

#68 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

That's great news baseman...

#69 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

This is really becoming a problem. I hope someone at Line 6 is working on this problem. If we at least know what's causing the problem, we can avoid doing that.

After several successful attempts at recording, (we though we had solved the problem) we got a bunch of blank files again last night. Our M20D is setup in our rehearsal space. Same as last time. No changes. This time.....nothing, just 16 blank 843mb audio files.

I started the recording by going to the root of the SD card and creating a new folder, which worked previously. Not this time.

Fortunately our drummer has become leery of relying on the M20D for recording, and setup his little Zoom handheld recorder beside it. If it wasn't for that, we would have been screwed. We have an important gig coming up and everyone is cramming to learn the new tunes that we added. These rehearsal recordings really help in between band get together s.

What's going on with this thing?

#70 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

If there are files with a size that seems right but a computer does not play the files this looks like the file could not be completed because the card was pulled out or the mixer was powered off before stopping the recording.

#71 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

The recording was definitely stopped.  

We even tried listening back to it a couple times after rehearsal, and heard nothing.  We didn't record the Main Outs, only the Line Inputs this time, so I was hoping that was why we were not hearing anything.

Tonight, I got around to importing the tracks into my DAW, and sure enough, they are all blank.  I even tried importing individual tracks into Sound Forge.  They are all just flat line.  

If shutting down prematurely is a problem, maybe you guys can incorporate a 10 or 15 second shutdown delay countdown timer upon Power Off.  With a flashing message that reads "Please Make Sure You Stopped Your Recording"   this will at least give people time to turn the power switch back on and it stop their recording before they lose it.    

If there are files with a size that seems right but a computer does not play the files this looks like the file could not be completed because the card was pulled out or the mixer was powered off before stopping the recording.

#72 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Sadly, our M20D again provided us with some very large 1gb blank tracks after our rehearsal last night.  This time, we triple checked everything.  Then triple checked that the recording was stopped after the recording.  Still nothing.  Just 16 blank tracks.

We've given into the fact that the recording feature on the M20D is broken, so we always have another recorder running alongside it now.  Hopefully, Line 6 will fix the problems.

Maybe while they're at it, they can add some metering to the recording process.  The recording interface leaves much to be desired. The square blocks with barely discernible green flashing lights say's nothing about what's going on with the recording.

We put in another support ticket last night.  Nothing yet.

#73 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

I think one issue might be the way the SD card sits in the slot.  There is a spring mechanism but it doesn't lock the card in place.  In other words you don't need to push down on the card again to get the card out  of the slot, you can just lift it out.  So conceivably the card could lift from being seated properly just from vibrations.  Which would be the same as lifting the card out before the recording is stopped.  I've been lucky so far with my recordings, and I haven't tried recording to a usb drive. so i don't know if it's any more robust than the SD card.

#74 DethFiesta

DethFiesta

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Just wanted to weigh in on this thread with my $.02

I've also experienced the blank wave file issue, but the next time I recorded rehearsal I created a new setup and all of my Mic and Line inputs recorded as expected, except once when only a single track turned out blank. So -- I have no idea what is causing this issue for me, it seems to happen intermittently, but it hasn't occurred for a while. 

I'm now having an equally painful issue with recording -- within about 45 seconds of starting to record, I receive an error message saying that the SD card couldn't keep up and the recoding is aborted!  This is with a brand new, Samsung Class 10 card that recorded the same number of tracks in the past.  I'm recording 9 Mic Inputs and 3 Line inputs when this occurs.  Frustrating to say the least.  I will try recording directly to PC via USB next week and see how it goes.

#75 davec69

davec69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Since we updated to the latest firmware, we have not had the problem occur.  Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.

#76 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

I too think that the SD card slot is too "flimsy", I could easily imagine it vibrating in and out of contact while recording. 

I'll be trying my first recording tonight. So far tests have shown it to be working, I get audio in the SD card files no problem..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users