Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig - What To Do Next?

I have just setup a new Dream Rig.  Nice.   Anyway - I want to be a productive as possible with the rig and so far have done basic setup of hardware and software and downloaded and synced some tones from the customtone.com and found the tones I can work with.  

My efforts for the last ten years have focused on rhythm and chord progressions (jazz pop rock), and building a repertoire.    I have recently been working with a looper and have now been focusing on accompaniment (guitar guitar and guitar other instruments).   I have been working on the Rock House method "Modes Demystified" (music theory/scales) for the last year.  

I went with the Dream Rig because of the sonic possibilities.   It goes way beyond my lollipop RP100 which I have had for years.   Actually, the Dream Rig it really is what they hype it to be.

So.... how should I focus my efforts with this new beast?  Keep on in the music theory direction - or branch off and do something additional?   Understand that I have between one half hour to one hour per day to dedicate to playing and I don't want to spread myself too thin.

Any advice would be helpful.

So.... how should I focus my efforts with this new beast?  Keep on in the music theory direction - or branch off and do something additional?   

Not quite sure what you mean. Studying music theory and learning how to get the most out of your new Dream Rig is not an either/or. I assume you will do both. Sometimes you will practice guitar and other times you will turn some knobs on your gear. 

If you want guidance on how to get the most out of the Pod portion of your dream rig, I would start here

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Which amp did you get?

Which JTV did you get?

Which POD did you get?

Great! You've got some work cut out for you. 

I would first got to the empty slots on one of the user banks and start with the first amp model. I think its the Blackface DBL. Make it sound good, save it and move on to the next.

Some tips I have found useful:

*Use Pre amp models

*Turn off the Cab sim

*Make the amp sound good clean first. Then decide what type of distortion you want. If you want any at all.

*Each amp model behaves differently. Take time to learn those differences

*Tweak your patches and amp settings with a specific guitar model. For example a patch and amp setup may sound fantastic with the magnetic pickups and sound lousy when using the Lester guitar model. Even if plug a Tele straight into the front of an amp, you are going to have to make adjustments to that amp when you plug in your Les Paul.

Same rules apply.

Have fun!