Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Potential Issues With My New Jtv59p?

I got my new JTV59P today and I have not been able to get any decent guitar sound of it. I am hoping it's user error and need to confirm that else send it back:

1) There was no Li ion battery included. Is that normal? Do I have to get that separate?

2) In non-standard tunings there is a delayed signal that I hear from my right headphone via HD500. If I record and playback it sounds fine but during live play it sounds really bad

3) I had created some custom patches using my Epiphone Les Paul standard. If I load that patch and set the variax to Lester (same pickup) it sounds very different. Now I understand it's a different model but what I really mean here is that while I get a good distorted signal via my Epi, the variax sounds like clean/slightly crunchy guitar. I have to increase the gain a lot to make it sound as distorted.

I am wondering if I'm missing any technical setup or is the guitar bad. I am connected to the HD500 using the vdi cable. I have also tried the guitar input but no diffrence

Thanks for your help in advance!

1. not normal.

2. not normal

3. not normal.

I would honestly try an exchange if that's an option.

If that's a pain in the rear...  or you'd rather try other options first... reflash the firmware.  (assuming the variax interface was included as it should be)

Well somebody owes you a battery no matter what happens...as far as the other stuff goes, I would definitely try reflashing the firmware first. Its quick and easy (usually), and it isnt likely to make things any worse. Browse thru the forum and you'll see numerous reports of all kinds of weird issues that can be remedied with reflashing the guitar. Anecdotal evidence suggests that sometimes reflashing several times is necessary...no one knows why and it makes little sense, but it has apparently made a difference in more than a few cases. Good luck.

Definitely sounds like something is wrong. On the Lester setting, my 59P is significantly hotter than the other models and responds similarly to my son's Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III.

Battery (and charger) should've been included, along with the USB interface, a gig bag, and a Variax cable.

That's strange, I also just received a goldtop scratch and dent, that doesn't sound like sweetwater,they say they are supposed to do a55 point inspection, mine came with a sealed battery and interface cables looked brand new also, sounds like you got a demo unit

I have a 59 that doesn't have p90 pickups, and it's better made, frets are in better shape no glue residue on frets, I suspect what these are, are units that couldn't pass inspection as brand new, cause as I say my purchased new unit is a better made guitar, if that makes sense.... I've been buying from sweetwater for years and they are a top notch business , so iam sure they will make it right

They should make it right.  I bought a "Demo" JTV 69S from Sweetwater and it was perfect when I received it.  I asked them to put 2.0 on  it and they did that for me.  Everything was packaged properly and I was very pleased with their service.  My next purchase will be from them based on my experience.

I asked them to put 2.0 on it and they did that for me

Mine came with 1.8, so I wonder how old the guitar was, I was thinking it would come with 2.0 , iam gonna put some slinky 10's on tomorrow , it sure seems like 9's right now , anyway almost have price is sweet deal

I have had great luck with Sweetwater over the years.  Heck, knock on wood, I have had great service with MusiciansFriend, Music123 and Zzounds.

Although, Sweetwater are the only ones that send me candy.  Nothing like a little Bit O Honey while messing with new gear.  They also usually call me a couple days after I receive it to make sure everything is ok. 

Actually, I don't think I have ever had a bad experience on almost anything I have  bought musicianly related.   

Guitar center , Musician friend, your right I have been treated well by all of them, sometimes the salesman are not well  versed on the product I want, but when you figure with how many different people they deal with it, that's understandable, I do like Sweetwater because you deal with the same person and I think that is a plus.....

So I did get the replacement and even though it wasn't missing any part I can't get the guitar to sound good as expected. And since "expected" is a very relative term what I actually mean is that when I load up presets on my HD500 that I created using my much cheaper guitars (Squires and Epi), I can't even get the JTV to sound anywhere close to those guitars. e.g. the distortion and sustain on the lester comes no where close the Epi LP standard. Same with comparing between the Spank model and my Squier Standard (with Seymour Duncan pickups). The tele and the acoustic are the only models that sound decent. The guitar came loaded with 2.0 FW. 

I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

So I did get the replacement and even though it wasn't missing any part I can't get the guitar to sound good as expected. And since "expected" is a very relative term what I actually mean is that when I load up presets on my HD500 that I created using my much cheaper guitars (Squires and Epi), I can't even get the JTV to sound anywhere close to those guitars. e.g. the distortion and sustain on the lester comes no where close the Epi LP standard. Same with comparing between the Spank model and my Squier Standard (with Seymour Duncan pickups). The tele and the acoustic are the only models that sound decent. The guitar came loaded with 2.0 FW. 

I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

Relative prices of the other guitars have nothing to do with it. If you had three different Strats in front of you, they will not all sound identicle. Ditto for any other kind of guitar...so don't waste any more time comparing it to other guitars.

If you already know the ins and outs of the 500, then you're probably not doing anything wrong...the JTV is  just a different guitar, actually a very different guitar.

Let the tweaking being...Right out of the box, mine sounded much like what a boiled landfill would smell like. You'll need to spend some time with it to get it to sound the way you want.

I would start directly into your amp (or with the 500 using no amp) with the JTV.  It should sound very good on all models.  If it doesn't there is something very wrong.  Mine sounds as good as my other guitars that way. (Better than most)  It should also sound very good with the Mag pickups.

So I am directly plugged into the HD500 and monitoring via headphones. No amp involved. I tried re-flashing once and I don't hear any change. I will try re-flashing a couple more times and see if it does anything. While I do agree that different guitars will sound different, I am not expecting the variax models to sound identical to my existing guitars. All I am expecting is to sound as good as the ones I have or even better. Actually I am expecting the latter, to be honest. I can tell when a guitar sounds good and that is where my gripe with this instrument has been so far. 

So I am directly plugged into the HD500 and monitoring via headphones. No amp involved. I tried re-flashing once and I don't hear any change. I will try re-flashing a couple more times and see if it does anything. While I do agree that different guitars will sound different, I am not expecting the variax models to sound identical to my existing guitars. All I am expecting is to sound as good as the ones I have or even better. Actually I am expecting the latter, to be honest. I can tell when a guitar sounds good and that is where my gripe with this instrument has been so far.

2.0 seems to be a bit flakey. Rolling back to 1.9 is worth trying too, as some have reported night and day differences. Why is anybody's guess.

• Upvote 1

I would go to 1.9 and give it some time, I don't have a hd 500, so I don't have and suggestions, but I do know this, I bought a second variax so I could play 1.9 and 2.0 without having to continually flashing firmware. I play mostly uptempo southern gospel at church and the ability to transpose makes it well worth it for me alone, but last night my new guitar on ver 2.0 did not cut it, it sounded thin and the transpose features didn't even sound right, at the house playing alone, ver 2.0 sounded fine, So now I have two guitars with ver 1.9, in my opinion there is not a great difference in some of the models so that may be what you are hearing

I am running 2.0 on a J-59 ( going thru the 500 with JUST a Marshall amp / speaker sim ) and playing back thru a FRFR QSC K-10. It sounds great. Granted any patches I have done for my Jackson Soloist SL1 USA need to be altered since they are different guitars and technology.

My instinct tells me these are operator related issues.

I rolled back the FW to 1.9 and it sounds much better. I am starting to like it now.The acoustics and tele did sound better on 2.0 but everything else sounds much better in 1.9. My opinion of course. 

I have done the same thing rolling back to 1.9.  2.0 has issues that needs to be fixed and addressed by Line6. IMHO.