#1 dethpoi

dethpoi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hi Folks,

I know that this was discussed before but I can't seem to find a conclusion of how to replace the variax connector on the 300. I have one that works intermittently. Push the  cat 5 cable toward the narrow end and it works, toward the wide end and it doesn't. I am assuming that it is finally wearing out.  Can someone suggest the easiest way to replace  or maybe adjust this for  novice? I don't want to send it to a service center since I am in Hawaii. I was hoping for a simple DIY solution. 

#2 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

See if any of the pins look  bent or damaged.  You may be able to straighten a bent pin.  Common cause of damage on these is accidentally trying to plug the 1/4 inch plug into that jack.  It happened a lot on the old Variax's.  Everyone loses the rubber  plug that comes with it to cover the jack.  The JTV has a hinged cover - much safer.

#3 dethpoi

dethpoi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

When you say the pins do you mean inside the guitar or just looking down the barrel of the jack from the outside. 

#4 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11377 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

If you are unable to fix the jack, a replacement part is available. The plastic piece that houses the 1/4" jack and the VDI jack can be removed and replaced. It's simple - a few screws outside and a plug-type connector inside. You will also need to remove the pickguard (another few screws) to access the plug connector inside.

Call Line 6 (see Contact Us at the foot of this page) and ask them to refer you to your nearest Line 6 parts supplier. They should be able to mail it to you.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#5 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

The pins are inside the plug on the guitar.  They can get bent and not make good contact with the plug.

#6 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Note also if you replace the entire jackplate assembly, the new ones (I guess designed for the JTVs) are slightly longer and you'll need to attack the body of your 300 with a chisel and hammer in order to remove some timber allowing it to fit properly.

#7 Blues_man001

Blues_man001

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

http://www.fullcompa...uct/431850.html

#8 DarrellM5

DarrellM5

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

I see that one fits the Variax Bass and the 300, 600 and 700.  Does anything fit the 500?  My input jack is getting worn out (side to side play between the cable and the jack).

#9 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

I see that one fits the Variax Bass and the 300, 600 and 700.  Does anything fit the 500?  My input jack is getting worn out (side to side play between the cable and the jack).

Most likely the same as for 300 etc.

Contact distributor - I reckon the unit they produce to replace faulty units on the JTV's will be used on older vaxes now, as the two I received appear to be the same as on the new JTV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users