#1 nikoniablue

nikoniablue

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSt Albans, England

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

I'd like to build a patch for a DT25 and HD500 combo that really maxes out the responsiveness, so that I can use how hard I play on the guitar to balance a gentle clean tone with quite a full distortion for single lines.  A bit like Larry Carlton does - where his amp is highly responsive to his playing dynamics.  Any suggestions of starting points for amp & other settings?  I'm playing a Gibson Midtown Custom by the way which has Burstbuckers (PAF style humbuckers).  I do have a JTV-59 but it's a bit unreliable.  I'm not really trying to copy Carlton's tone, more wanting to get the most from that technique.  Thanks in advance for your ideas...

#2 malnack

malnack

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

My main patch does this for me. I have a HD500, DT25, and a JTV-59P. I believe I started with the AC30 type preamp. I think changed the cabinet and mic on it until I got what I was looking for. For the guitar model, I mainly use the Tele. If I dial back the volume control on the JTV about 15%, I get a really nice clean when I play lightly. The further I dig into it the more natural breakup I get. There are a couple songs in our set that I use this to my advantage, clean and quiet in the verse, a bit more bite in the chorus and full out attack by the end.

I'd be happy to share my patch. I'm at work right now so I don't have access.

#3 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Mic choice has no impact when connected via L6 link to a DT amp for future reference. Cabs do, but mic emulation is only enabled in studio/direct mode, so that should help eliminate one variable. I messed with them a lot when I first got my Pod until I was told the same thing.

My main patch does this for me. I have a HD500, DT25, and a JTV-59P. I believe I started with the AC30 type preamp. I think changed the cabinet and mic on it until I got what I was looking for. For the guitar model, I mainly use the Tele. If I dial back the volume control on the JTV about 15%, I get a really nice clean when I play lightly. The further I dig into it the more natural breakup I get. There are a couple songs in our set that I use this to my advantage, clean and quiet in the verse, a bit more bite in the chorus and full out attack by the end.

#4 malnack

malnack

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Thanks! Wasn't aware of that.

#5 nikoniablue

nikoniablue

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

I'd be interested to see the patch.  Thanks

#6 ice9mike

ice9mike

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Definitely start with the AC30 as it is class A and has the most dynamics. I have a tube driver boost in front of it to make sure it breaks up when I play harder.

You could also try switching a marshall plexi or jtm 45 to class A and see how that works out.

#7 malnack

malnack

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Here is the current version of my tone. I guess I switched the preamp about a month ago. I do have the previous AC30 based one as well. Give this a try and remember to dial your volume back about 15-20%.

http://line6.com/cus...ne/tone/275611/

I've assigned a Chorus to 1, a Delay to 2, a tube overdrive to 3, and a swell to 4.

#8 chrishlp

chrishlp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Try the gibson EH-185.  It runs Class A so tends to be responsive.  I run full model sims from my HD500 and adjust the sim drive and master volume to get the right balance between preamp drive and power amp saturation.  Have a play around with the sag control as well.  Goes great with a strat!

#9 nikoniablue

nikoniablue

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Here is the current version of my tone. I guess I switched the preamp about a month ago. I do have the previous AC30 based one as well. Give this a try and remember to dial your volume back about 15-20%.

http://line6.com/cus...ne/tone/275611/

I've assigned a Chorus to 1, a Delay to 2, a tube overdrive to 3, and a swell to 4.

Yeah - tried it and liked it - thank you.  Prefer it with the AC30 TB Pre rather than the J45. I set it to my taste with about 65% drive.  Yummy!

Thanks to Chris also for suggestion of the EH185.  Not as responsive as the Vox but a good sound nevertheless. I don't think its possible to use the sag control with the Pre only settings I like to use with the DT25 unfortunately.

Forgot to mention, the Treadplate is actually very responsive if you keep the volume and gain backed off a bit.

#10 malnack

malnack

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Yeah - tried it and liked it - thank you.  Prefer it with the AC30 TB Pre rather than the J45. I set it to my taste with about 65% drive.  Yummy!

Thanks to Chris also for suggestion of the EH185.  Not as responsive as the Vox but a good sound nevertheless. I don't think its possible to use the sag control with the Pre only settings I like to use with the DT25 unfortunately.

Forgot to mention, the Treadplate is actually very responsive if you keep the volume and gain backed off a bit.

Thanks! I can't remember why I switched away from the AC30. I'll have to try that version again. I really love the breakup in it and when I need the crunch using the Les Paul model with the overdrive activated is just what I need. What is strange is that at our rehearsal volume (which is fairly loud), the level sounds about right when I engage the overdrive (FS3). However, at our last gig when I hit the overdrive it seemed significantly louder. It kinda freaked me out as I felt like I was blowing out the rest of the band.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tone, larry carlton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users