fr2632

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hey guys,

Question: what is the different between the jacks and XLR cable ? I have a mixer connected to the PC but I was wondering the difference between those two connections.

Has XLR better quality or something ? Can I connect my HD500X to the mixer with those cables ? 

Thank you in advance.

fr2632

#2 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2775 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

i believe the difference is the length of the cable run. jacks for short and xlr's for long.

google;  http://sound.stackex...jacks-and-three

I'M SO HAPPY!

#3 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

XLR is Balanced - much better for ground loop reduction especially if the device is not plugged into the same power strip.  Use XLR if your amp / PA supports it.

#4 davidb7170

davidb7170

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

It is true that XLR is better at noise rejection, but the down side of the 500 & 500X is that the XLR cannot be switched between mic & line level output, like the 1/4" output can. I run my 500 & 500X straight into a Crown XL1000 amp, but when I tried the XLR (which I would prefer to do), found it could not provide line level signal that the amp needed to drive properly. With the 1/4" set to Line level, the amp gets what it needs to get proper signal out. I have been using the 1/4" out with a standard good quality 20 foot guitar cable with no bad affects.

From what I understand, the rack-mounted Pro & Pro X have the ability to send line level via the XLR, but I don't consider that a viable product for me, as other than a couple of differences between the 500 and the Pro, I'd need a rack, a Pro, and a foot controller added on, for a significantly higher price tage to achieve the same outcome from what I have now. If the XLR noise vs 1/4" was a biggie, I probably would have gone the Pro direction, but it has not been the case.

For mic level signals to a PA or something else with a pre-amp, XLR will be the best, as signal to noise levels are way more noticable at that volume level.

Note -- I do send to our soundman's board via the XLR out and I always lift the ground with the switch to avoid ground loop issues as Charlie pointed out...

My 2 cents.

Dave

#5 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

At least with Line Level it's a little less sensitive to ground loop noise. 

#6 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Just confirming that I got from Line6 themselves that the XLR's are designed to be used for mic level output signals only.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xlr, cables, hd500x, jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users