Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Amp Models When Using Hd500x

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wouldn't know how to start searching for the answer.

I have just purchased a "dream rig" consisting of a DT25, HD500x & a JTV69.  I have watched several line6 videos about creating patches but they all sound different out of my amp because I'm not sure what settings to have the amp on.

I don't have the line6 cable for connecting the HD500x to the DT25 so how do I know which amp model to have selected on the amp. Obviously, having the wrong amp and settings selected defeats the object of the patch.

If you have the line 6 connector, do you have to tell the editor all the amp settings so it selects them every time or does it switch the DT25 settings out and use the amp models settings.

This probably sounds like mumbo jumbo but I am very confused!

Do you have to buy a expensive line6 cable or will any microphone lead do?

thanks in advance for any advice

Just completed the Dream Rig myself, so it's all pretty new to me too.

I'm using an AES/EBU cable, cost me around £10 on eBay, seems to be working fine.

I think the thing to do with patches is make sure you're using the pre-amp model on the HD500, then from what I can gather, the amp does the rest.

Thanks for the reply Goooner.

So when you create a patch, all your effects have to be on the left hand side?

Still can't get my head round selecting an amp in the patch but then playing it out of another amp.

You can probably tell that I'm a bit of a novice (to say the least!)

Played around with the line 6 "Brown Sugar" patch today and that sounded awesome :D

The POD will send the MIDI signals to the amp (with the AES/EBU cable) and will select whatever you set up on the POD.  If you have no cable, you will have to download one of the editors (i.e., DT Edit, available via search of these forums) in order to send the amp changes.

You're in good company, I'm a complete novice at it too, still trying to get my head around it all.

I don't think it matters which side of the the amp you put the effects, although some sound better before it and others after it, experiment and see what sounds good. You can even have two different amps, one on the top bit and one on the bottom and switch between them.

It really is an incredible bit of kit, the amp sounds brilliant on it's own too.

The Brown Sugar patch is great isn't it? :)

the topologies on the DT amps are NOT amp models in and of themselves...

they represent configurations of the power amp....

when using the amp standalone, a specific pre-amp is loaded which gives you the amp model...

when using with a pod via L6LINK, the preamp and other amp configuration details are sent from the pod.

(the topology that the amp switches to does not indicate any specific amp model selected)

Yes Goooner but what won't sink into my thick skull is the fact that you select say a Plexi Lead 100 Nrm amp in the patch and then play it through a British Crunch amp on the DT25

fellas, you can use any standard 3 pin XLR cable to connect using L6 link.  If you can get a good AES or DMX 3 pin cable even better, especially for long cables.  When you are using the POD and the DT together, just forget that the DT has any preamps in it and set up everything in your POD.  The DT will only provide the power section in this setup.

The POD does not send anything by midi, it is a unique digital signal that tells the DT how to configure its power section according to what you have in the POD.

The POD will AUTOMATICALLY reconfigure its output settings when connected by L6 link and you can't change it. Therefore, patches made for the DT with L6 link should GENERALLY use the PRE models only rather than the FULL models.

For starters, place all your tone shaping effects (Wah, compressors, distortion,) in front of the amp and your time based (chorus, delays, reverbs) after the mixer.  Once you get comfortable with how they interact you can begin to rearrange them to see how they interract and what differenct things you can accomplish.

Without the L6 link, you can just run your POD output into the FX return on your DT but you will lose the reconfiguration aspedt that you get with L6 link.  You probably won't even notice it but you should be aware anyways.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 4

I would most certainly recommend it!

but you can use a regular XLR microphone cable to try it out if you have one.

you can also use it forever if it's a high quality cable and sounds good.

lower quality cables can produce hum or other artifacts....

but you can very easily get a DMX cable or AES/EBU digital cable.

(you don't have to get the L6LINK line6 branded versions)

Thanks Uber Guru, so I definitely need an L6Link to complete my setup?

• Upvote 1

As Zap mentioned, there are some excellent options for the cables you will need. Nothing against the L6 brand, I think they are made in China. In particular, the Line6 VDI cable, for connecting your JTV to your HD500 is not the best.

Some other kind users here in the forums, in other posts, turned me on to a company called Best-Tronics, they assemble custom cable lengths in the USA, and they are quite good - Belden cabling, Neutrik connectors, decent prices.

I've ended up ordering a slew of additional cables from them since I had them make me a nice VDI cable, including AES/EBU for use as Line6Link, and some various lengths of XLR cables for mics.

At the moment, their web store is being overhauled, but they will still take orders via phone and email until the new web store launches this Saturday,

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Hi

I've just connected my HD500X to my DT25 with a regular XLR microphone cable but nothing seems to be happening.  When you change patches, should the lights on top of the amp change?  How do I know if the link is working because I've read that some cables don't work

thanks

Don't remember if the lifts change on the amp or not, if nobody else answers in the meantime, I'll check next time I play it.

If the pod is connected to the DT solely by the L6 link and you're getting sound from the amp, then it's working isn't it? Not being sarcastic by the way :)

I've no idea how you tell if the L6 link is working it's magic, except by listening.

Of course you could connect the pod to the front of the amp with a normal cable, listen to the same patch that way and compare it with the L6.

nope... only cable to the amp is line6link cable thats it. no 1/4"'s needed

So if I connect the HD500X to the DT25 with a link connector, I don't need to use the 1/4 jack lead from the 1/4 out L/mono on the HD500X to the top input on the DT25?

thanks