Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Questions On Amp Vs Line

hifiman

I had the HD500 and now have the 500x. I also have a Fender Twin 65 Reissue with no FX loop. So my only option is to plug in to the front of the amp. I don't use the amp or cabinet modeling and only use for effects on the HD. I am trying to get as close as I can to the natural sound of the Twin as well as the same volume settings. I did this by going to an unused patch. It seems I get the closest to both Volume and tone by using Studio instead of Combo in the settings and by using line instead of amp on the switch on top. Questions. Is this ok to run it this way especially using line vs amp? Is this the preferred way? I just don't want to hurt the HD or my amp but want the best sound with most dynamics and least loss of natural tone. Note: I did try using the line/amp switch on amp but had to use a FX loop in the HD chain and increase the return to about 7 to match the volume of my Twin when I am plugged up without the HD. Hope all that made since? The 70s were rough:) Oh and also I don't gig out live but only use for home playing. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

You should not need to use Line going into the front of your amp.  The signal is too big and it will overload your preamp.  The input on your amp is expecting Instrument (Guitar) levels.  You can use any of the output modes based on what sounds best to you but don't use Line Levels.

• 2 weeks later...

You should not need to use Line going into the front of your amp.  The signal is too big and it will overload your preamp.  The input on your amp is expecting Instrument (Guitar) levels. 

I'm sure I've read of others doing this. When you say overload, do you mean detrimental overload that will kill the amp or just clipping?

Also, with other effects racks and stomp boxes that are sent to amp input, are they all set to 'guitar levels' I thought they had a bit of additional 'juice'.

I use Line going into the 'power amp in' and it sounds more alive.

Is this okay to do?

s

Line level is much higher.  It should not hurt your amp but it may sound like crap.

Cheers.

I'm finding that it sounds 'brighter' and I prefer the tone but at the moment it's going into a Gorilla practice amp; not an amp of any significant reputation but it does the job.

Is there a way to achieve this same brightness in 'amp' mode, is it just a matter of increased volume or does it add some EQ to prepare it for the pre-amp?

s

Since pedals are also line level devices stating not to use line level outputs is a bit draconian.

There is absolutely zero issues in using the line level outputs. If you have a SS amp (and the OP does not), you can use the volume control to get the best s/n ratio, and if you have a tube amp, you can use the volume knob as a clean boost.

Of course, if you wish to peg the volume into a SS amp then it will sound yuck, but that would also apply if you maxed the output on an OD, Dist or boost pedal.

Nope.

Pedals are spec'd to at least -10dBv consumer line level. Whether they give all that signal out is a function of the pedal. A clean boost (say) that can give 20dB of clean gain is clearly up to and may even surpass consumer line level specs.

In addition, FX loops are all at line level. Mostly consumer line level, but some are +4dbu pro line level...and pedals go into the loop, ergo they must be at line level.

At the end of the day, I simply stated that there is a volume knob on the POD.. restricting the device output to "instrument level" could easily give a lower output than pedals and lose the ability to use clean boost as an overdrive.

• Upvote 1