Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New To Pod Life And Amplification Options...

spawn2031

ok guys, I apologize ahead of time if I toss too much out here at once so I will try to keep it short.  just recently got a 500x and love it minus a few issues with getting the sounds right.  Currently I am running into a Mustang II v2 combo amp.  No effects loop on this thing so I have to run direct into the inputs.  After reading through the posts here I changed a few things with my setups...

1) made sure that input 1 is guitar and input 2 is variax (read a few posts that said having both inputs set to guitar can cause issues)

2) Set the output settings from direct to combo amp.

Doing #1 definitely lowered the noise in the line.  Doing #2 actually made the tones worse.  So I put it back to direct.  I play Metal mostly so I like a beefy tone to my guitar and setting it to combo amp seemed to really cut out the low end. So I've got a good tone coming out of my amp and I love the tone I hear coming out of my headphones (when I use them).  I hope all of that made sense...

So I now that I have the pod I am looking into getting a better rig for it.  Since everything that I have read says you should try not to color the tone coming out of the pod, I have my eye on a Behinger iNuke power amp and a 4x12 Marshall cab but after my experiment with the output settings I am not sure if that is best way for me to go.

I will certainly want my tones to sound like they do right now, just louder for gigging.  If I keep my output as it is (direct) and run into the iNuke can I expect to hear what I get out of my amp right now (even though it's going through 2 preamps now) or should it sound like what I hear in my headphones (since this doesn't go through a 2nd preamp).

Any info on this would be very helpful as I want to make sure and get the right stuff 

no matter what you do you will have to make adjustments for new gear and more importantly for volume... what you think sounds great at practice level will probably need adjusting at stage level...  Is your heart set on that particular amp/cab setup?  You might consider a pair of quality powered 12" monitors to really put the POD through its paces or if your wallet will allow, one of the L series speakers, maybe the L2t or its big brother the L3t or even a DT25/50 head.  Another option is the soon to be released Behringer KXD12 keyboard amp.  Its a 700 watt full range amp with built in mixer for about $350.  Start with one and get a second for real stereo... Food for thought...

• Upvote 1

ok guys, I apologize ahead of time if I toss too much out here at once so I will try to keep it short. just recently got a 500x and love it minus a few issues with getting the sounds right. Currently I am running into a Mustang II v2 combo amp. No effects loop on this thing so I have to run direct into the inputs. After reading through the posts here I changed a few things with my setups...

1) made sure that input 1 is guitar and input 2 is variax (read a few posts that said having both inputs set to guitar can cause issues)

2) Set the output settings from direct to combo amp.

Doing #1 definitely lowered the noise in the line. Doing #2 actually made the tones worse. So I put it back to direct. I play Metal mostly so I like a beefy tone to my guitar and setting it to combo amp seemed to really cut out the low end. So I've got a good tone coming out of my amp and I love the tone I hear coming out of my headphones (when I use them). I hope all of that made sense...

You're not alone with the output settings...combo/front, stack/front, etc are all just different EQ curves being applied to approximate what you'd want for a given set-up, but its never gonna work for every amp out there. You can also experiment with using full amps vs. pre-amp only models, as well as changing cabinet models, or turning cab sims off altogether. Many ways to set things up, and none of them are 'right' or 'wrong'. The deep edit parameters (sag, bias, early relflection, etc) will also color your tone significantly. Tends to be a learning curve for the 500x...mess around with everything.

As far as amp choices, as was already said above, it won't matter what you get, you will have to tweak things all over again regardless of what you choose. The simplest choice, in terms of maintaining consistency with your tones from headphones, to recording direct, to playing live, will be an FRFR set-up. Lots of options for that too, depending on how much $$ you want to spend. Happy hunting!

Thanks for the quick response quys, That's what I was hoping to hear.  When I started messing around with the output options and realized that the supposed option that I would use going into a power amp sounded the best through my little combo I began to worry that I would never get that kind of sound out of it again once I ditched the combo.  Anyway, Seeing as this will be my first time upgrading to anymore more than a combo amp I guess I am a little under informed on what options are out there for me.  I am kind of limited by my budget.  I am trying to stay near the $500 range.  I am not worried about something with massive amounts of power, I'm looking for something good for gigging and playing small places (I'm 38, pretty much have given up the idea of being a rock star... this is just for fun now), if I need to get louder I can always mic my cab or run direct into the PA.

So it seems that the Behinger iNuke head and the 120w Marshall cab is the best bang for my buck at this point unless I am totally missing something truly awesome out there.  I am also a bit of a purest, I just like the look and feel of a nice cab behind me.. okay maybe I haven't lost the rock star in me totally yet

Thanks for the quick response quys, That's what I was hoping to hear.  When I started messing around with the output options and realized that the supposed option that I would use going into a power amp sounded the best through my little combo I began to worry that I would never get that kind of sound out of it again once I ditched the combo.  Anyway, Seeing as this will be my first time upgrading to anymore more than a combo amp I guess I am a little under informed on what options are out there for me.  I am kind of limited by my budget.  I am trying to stay near the $500 range.  I am not worried about something with massive amounts of power, I'm looking for something good for gigging and playing small places (I'm 38, pretty much have given up the idea of being a rock star... this is just for fun now), if I need to get louder I can always mic my cab or run direct into the PA.

So it seems that the Behinger iNuke head and the 120w Marshall cab is the best bang for my buck at this point unless I am totally missing something truly awesome out there.  I am also a bit of a purest, I just like the look and feel of a nice cab behind me.. okay maybe I haven't lost the rock star in me totally yet

Nothing wrong with going that route...just know that you will end up with 3 or more sets of patches: headphones, amp at bedroom volume, and gig volume. Everything will need to be dialed in, and they likely won't be interchangable.