Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Model Knob Came Apart

Had a JTV69 for less than a month now.

Right out of the box there was an issue with the model selector knob.  The LED backlight didn't shine through the T-model and Custom 1 setting even when it was on.  Worked fine for all the other settings.  I was going to get around to getting it fixed but have been out of town.

Last night played my first gig with the guitar and when we were cleaning up, someone brought a shiny knob to me that they found on the floor.  Lo and behold, the "chrome" cap on the model selector came off sometime during the gig and won't stick back on.  I'm guessing it's glued on and the glue just wasn't enough?  I was lucky someone found it in the dark in the grass next to our stage in an outdoor gig.

So my question is, can I just get the entire knob sent to me and pop a new one in?  I could probably glue the old cap back on my self but I'm not exactly sure that's how it should be, plus I'd love to have a new knob that the LED worked properly on.

I have no huge desire to drop my guitar off for servicing, as this seems like a simple fix and I've found some of the local service centers to be "black holes" for equipment and money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd love to jump on the L6 hate-fest bandwagon but after about 15 minutes on hold, the nice man at Line6 support is sending me a new model selector knob.

If it gets here and all works fine, I'm a happy camper.

For the record, I had a similar thing happen with my original Vx700, and they sent me a new pickup selector 5 way, no questions asked.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to jump on the L6 hate-fest bandwagon but after about 15 minutes on hold, the nice man at Line6 support is sending me a new model selector knob.

If it gets here and all works fine, I'm a happy camper.

For the record, I had a similar thing happen with my original Vx700, and they sent me a new pickup selector 5 way, no questions asked.

Oh no kidding? I'd kill for a new 5 way switch on my 600, it makes me upset sometimes.

Maybe they don't make them but Line6 owns the QC of everything that goes into their product.  It's a risk to use custom parts like switches and such.  They are not as simple as they may seem.  For example, switch contacts must be designed for the actual voltages and currents that are switched.  Low voltage / low current contacts are very difficult because they can build up oxides and become flaky.  It's not enough to stay below max voltage / current.

• Upvote 1

You're right...QC is L6's problem. But in the end, the bottom line drives all decision making. No matter who makes the knobs, if its cheaper to just replace the failed ones than to make them better quality in the first place, then that's what happens.

True but most unfortunate...

Also my washburn HB30 made in china, is better build and quality than my JTV 69s... Bought only for 270 euro...

I mean, come on guys, even a B-class guitar is better quality than a JTV??