Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Solo Boost

Paultm

Hi, Has anyone got a good solo boost to suggest?

I have tried a few compressors & boost comp but can get a decent boost without effecting the tone especially one overdriven patches.

Cheers

Paul

Vetta Juice on of my favorites now. I find I have to use less of it to get my desired effect..... Buuuutttt..... I have now also been using a Fulltone Ocd in my pods fx loop and it is phenomenal. But try Vetta Juice. Tube comp with threshold in mid 90s and level below about 13 works on some patches for me too.

Make a separate channel to be your lead channel and make the amp volume a bit louder

That used to work before the 2.0 JTV update...in fact it's worked for me on just about every rig I've owned over the last 20 years. But now the dreaded "click" that accompanies each patch change makes this a cringe-worthy experience depending on the tune...

I have 4 main sounds clean, crunch, overdrive & heavy overdrive which use F5 to F8. So another Chanel doesn't work for me. But thanks for the reply.

Yeah, my 4 tones are A1:clean, A2:scooped high gain, A3:lead, and A4:crunch. That's all I need for most songs but if there's another song that needs something different I just create another 'set of four' for that song in the B's, C's, D's, etc.

That used to work before the 2.0 JTV update...in fact it's worked for me on just about every rig I've owned over the last 20 years. But now the dreaded "click" that accompanies each patch change makes this a cringe-worthy experience depending on the tune...

That sucks, remind me not to do a firmware update lol

I use Studio EQ, too. Leave everything at it's default setting except the gain. +4-5dB is about right for me as well. All you get is clean gain. No EQ. No dynamics coloration.. The problem with using the FX Loop is you go thru another set of ADCs and DACs which degrades signal integrity. It uses an FX Block and footswitch so there's nothing to be gained by using it over the Studio EQ other than loss of signal quality. Once you're in the digital domain you should leave it there for as long as possible.

Volume knob/pedal?  I'm being serious.  Not every time, of course, but with the real amp-like behavior of the HD, I like to keep the volume in reserve and just twist it up a lot of the time when I needed to cut through a bit.  I tend to use the OD/compressor/distortion effects more for color, so even when I switch them in, it's not much of a volume change, so having something left in the tank is necessary.  Of course, I'm working with a more limited 400 - if I had another channel to kick in at a higher level, I'd probably do that!

I use Studio EQ, too...the problem with using the FX Loop is you go thru another set of ADCs and DACs which degrades signal integrity....once you're in the digital domain you should leave it there for as long as possible.

Great perspective.  I agree and will try it.

It uses an FX Block and footswitch so there's nothing to be gained by using it over the Studio EQ other than loss of signal quality.

You lost me.  The Studio EQ and FX loop both require an available FX block, but the Studio EQ is more resource-intensive than the FX loop (DAC-to-ADC conversion aside).  For example, I've been able to drop the FX loop into complex dual-cab tones when it seemed that nothing else would "fit" in terms of available processing power.

And ...... isn't the idea to have an FB footswitch assigned, so that you can tap the lead boost on and off as necessary?

You can also assign the EXPRESSION pedal to control the amp volume parameter (as well as pretty much any other parameter), so you can have a min and max volume of the amp controlled by the pedal - just toe down for your volume boost.  Or just use the EXPRESSION pedal as a VOLUME pedal and set a suitable MIN value then toe down to have the MAX at full volume as per the amp channel volume control.

• Upvote 1

Xpanmanx, sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was they both require an FX block and they both require a footswitch, so why not use the Studio EQ over the FX Loop? You bring up a very good point. The Studio EQ does use more DSP resources than the FX Loop. They both have disadvantages. The FX Loop degrades signal integrity while the Studio EQ uses more DSP resources.

BTW, I use the expression pedal to morph between clean and crunch, so that idea is not available to me, but otherwise that would be a good option. I could use an external expression pedal for that, I suppose, but I don't use dual-amp configurations (with the older HD500 there just isn't enough MIPS left for me) so the Studio EQ works fine for me. This is a good topic and I like considering the other options being brought up.

• Upvote 1