#1 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

I just bought 2 P180 antenna to use for my line6 XD-V75 system. I am using six XD-V75 for a church in RF2 mode. I put the antenna on mic stands and raised around head level. I put them side by side pointing to the stage from right side of the stage. The "front" (which is written on the fin) side of the antennas are pointing to the stage. It has been working fine until 3 weeks ago, ever since we installed a new wireless alarm system, the signal has been dropping out constantly on 4/6 of them. Now, I moved 1 of the antenna to either side of the stage with distance about 15 feet to the center of the stage l -----O----- l like that.

I also have tried to use RF1 mode on all of them, but it makes the sounds distort so much that we decided to revert back to RF2 mode. I boosted the antenna to 23db and the mics are on high power. May this be a problem to the distortion?

We also only have 2 Wifi on our church with both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz.

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2751 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Switching modes won't cause distortion. Remember you are only dealing with digital data and not audio itself. Something else must have changed when you switched if you and now hearing distortion.

Depending on what wi-fi channels are operation and which Line 6 channels are running you may have difficulties running in RF2 mode. Ideally you should not run more than 1 wi-fi channel when operation in RF2 mode. That way you should be able to run 8 Line 6 channels.

If possible you should align your antennas with your WAPs on the dead side of the antennas and your wireless mics on the live sides. You don't want to use any more gain than necessary as it can overload the receivers' front end and you may get dropouts.

#3 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yesterday after service, I have changed back to RF1 mode to all of the mics and also switch the gain on the antenna to the lowest setting and also switch the power to low on the mic. So far, the sound is clean with no distortion (I think it is due to the gain being too high) and there are little to no drop outs on the signal. We will see how it goes next week, hopefully everything is working fine next week in the service. Will report back next week.

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2751 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

You could get distortion by setting the receiver's output gain too high.  I would recommend that you not boost it at all unless you have no other means. Boosting the output cuts down on headroom (same as just about every other piece of gear).  You'd be much better off to just turn up the gain on the mic preamp.  You are running into a mic input (and not a line input) on your mixer aren't you?

#5 Sheriton

Sheriton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

I suspect the word "distortion" is being used in a very broad sense here. For example, an analogue radio mic suffering from intermod issues could be described as distorting, which although technically true, is very different from the distortion caused by audio signal overload.

Perhaps Voicemaster could elaborate on what this distortion sounds like - is it the type of effect you get when running a signal too hot? Or something else? Perhaps posting up a small recording would help us pinpoint the problem.

#6 sdevino

sdevino

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

When using directional paddles it is just as important that the paddles be pointed AWAY from interfering sources as it is having them point towards the transmitters.  On pro tours we recommend using boom stands with the boom on an angle. Set the Paddle above head height and angle it so the paddle points towards the performers and away from anything overhead. 

#7 sdevino

sdevino

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

See the photo below for how we configured the paddles for the last Black Sabbath Tour.

Attached Files

#8 sdevino

sdevino

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

More Paddle focusing ideas

Attached Files

#9 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

*update:

The handhelds are pretty solid in 4 to 5 bar, but the belt pack still dropping pretty badly especially if the signal is blocked by the speaker's body, it will drop to 0 bar.

So it is better to set it on an angle with boom stand rather than straight up using regular mic stand? I might try the ideas and see which one works the best.

I suspect the distortion might be coming from the E6 mic that we use. It only happened when someone is talking through the mic and it sounds like the sound is breaking faintly but noticeable when talking normally. Any recommendation for wireless mic for the belt pack besides E6? 

#10 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

By the way, I saw in 1 of the pictures that you can have more than 2 paddle antennas. How do you do that? 

#11 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2751 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Are you still running in lo-power mode. If you are not getting signal then you must move up to high power. Are you running in RF1 mode?

#12 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

For the handhelds, I run on power saver mode and they are fine that way. I run RF1 for all 5 of them now and it works great, even if the signal do drop sometimes but it only drop to 4 bars most of the time. The only problem is with the belt pack which still has drop outs in some occasions. 

#13 sdevino

sdevino

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

You can run 4 paddles or antennas with the G90 receiver. 

#14 Flexwell

Flexwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I am playing with 10 Line 6 XD-V75. I have 7 of them who are linked to the XD-AD8 Antenna Distribution Unit. I have a play called Coup Fatal a play with 14 Congolese it is a play with 6 likembes (this are small hand guitar with a jack input and so I have jacks on my line 6 and 1 mic for a balafon.) I have placed my antennas on the stage right and placed them 5 m of each other to try to have to whole stage. But I still have some drops at some points. Is it maybe better to place them stage left and stage right because they walk around on whole the stage. 

I also have 3 line6 on stage with the amps of the bass and guitar players what is the best way to place the antennas?

And you are talking about the RF1 and RF2 but I can't find it how can you change it?

Thanks in advance,

Max 

#15 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2751 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Switching RF modes

#16 voicemaster

voicemaster

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

Just a quick update on the topic. Everything works fine for now after switching to RF1 mode, but I encountered a drop in signal when the speaker/singer is holding the handheld at the back/end of the mic. I know the transmitter in the V75's handheld is on the back end of the mic, but I am using a directional antenna that is not even 25ft (more like 15ft) away from the handheld. Is the transmitter on the V75's handheld so sensitive that even a slight blockage can drop the signal to the receiver? I am using the "power save" mode because the length of the transmitter and receiver never goes beyond 50ft. Otherwise, the wireless system sounds really good and clear. 

#17 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2751 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

When you are in low power mode you are effectively dropping the output power from 10mW down to 3.6mW. So if someone is also covering the antenna you don't have a lot leftover. Just switch the power back to normal and you should be fine.

#18 sdevino

sdevino

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

Just a quick update on the topic. Everything works fine for now after switching to RF1 mode, but I encountered a drop in signal when the speaker/singer is holding the handheld at the back/end of the mic. I know the transmitter in the V75's handheld is on the back end of the mic, but I am using a directional antenna that is not even 25ft (more like 15ft) away from the handheld. Is the transmitter on the V75's handheld so sensitive that even a slight blockage can drop the signal to the receiver? I am using the "power save" mode because the length of the transmitter and receiver never goes beyond 50ft. Otherwise, the wireless system sounds really good and clear. 

The problem with covering the antenna with your hand is not just reduced power, it also effective changes the shape and size of the antenna. In other words your hand becomes part of the antenna and your hand is not designed to be a good 2.4 GHz antenna. This is an equal problem for all wireless. In technical terms we say you are de-tuning the antenna. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users