Photo

Dt50 Head Output Just Went Silent, Any Ideas Why?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

Was playing for about a half hour in 50 watt mode, Master @ 50% when the output just faded out. No other noise associated with the dropout, just went silent. Switched the standby on to off to see if that would fix it. No go. Next with standby off I turned master volume down then switched from 50 watt mode to 25 watt mode and turned the volume up to 50% and output was back to normal. So I switched back to 50 watt mode and all was ok.

My rig was set up just taking the guitar and going into the front high input with a DT25 Cab. Anyone else have this behavior?

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "The Playlist"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#2 JSilver

JSilver

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

My DT25 combo did something similar tonight halfway through a gig! :(  Had to go direct to the PA for the second half of the gig.... I think I will go direct from now on! 

I don't know what it could be with mine... Possibly one of the valves is acting up or on the way out?

#3 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

I'm sure we're not the only ones who have experienced this. I kinda think it's a tube thing too since tubes seem to be the culprit most of time. That was the first time I've experienced this and since I haven't had a lick of problem and this amp is on and I'll play for at least 4 hours if not more, some days I'll play pretty much all day, lol.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "The Playlist"

#4 robyone

robyone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Hi; have you gave a look at fuses?

#5 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

Good question, I haven't looked at the fuses and I don't have any spares either. The reason I haven't is this rig doesn't leave home as of yet so it's not as important 'cause I don't gig with it. I suppose the fuse or a connection within a tube or the circuitry could expand during use and potentially break it's connection and as a mechanic I've seen this happen. This was certainly intermittent I feel it could be the firmware since this amp uses a sort of software for the amp models. It has only happened once in many hours of play and in one session I will have it singing for up to 4 hours at a time and sometimes up to 8 hours before I get tired or bored of playing, lol.

I should add I really like this amp even with minor issues like this 'cause problems can happen no matter what kind of equipment I use. That's my life experience talking.

#6 wowza

wowza

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

About a year ago right after I bought mine mine went out during a rehearsal but mine certainly didn't go out silently. It just started making a terrible screeching noise. I threw it into standby for a bit turned it back on and it started doing it again. I powered it off for a couple minutes and when I turned it back on I had nothing. I got really worried that my new amp had taken a digger lol. After about 10 minutes being powered off I powered it back on just for thrills and she acted normal like nothing ever happened. I haven't had a single issue since with her. I don't have anything to solve anything but it's like brazzy said I'm sure it's happened to other people one time or another. I dont worry about it to much I'll cross that bridge later if something happens to it.

#7 robyone

robyone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

...i have the dt50 212 from about three years now: for the first year all work fine, with hd500 via l6 link, play two or three gig at week in every situation...all work properly, no tube or fuse or other things problems, very satisfied with my rig....after....

i start have problem with strange sounds (sometimes thiny crackling friggin...)

and after fuses

and after tubes

and l6 link stop working (hd500 gone...)....

and friggin a capacitor inside chassis

and so on.....so on

now i use only the power section of this amp (via loop return) or the cabs (connect direct another amp head...)

after that i think the problem in this amp is the preamp section or the interaction between pre and power section...i don t now but surely, for play at gigs, now i use other things.

I am sorry because the versatility and the sound of this thing is awesome, but in terms of reliability.... :blink:

#8 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

A couple of hours ago I powered it up and no sound. Tried turning it off and on, resetting, Hi & Lo modes, channel changes, topo and other options still no sound not even the normal noise that comes with the hi gain stages.

I checked to see if the power amp section (fx return) works it doesn't then I looked back there to see if the tubes are glowing and it's cold back there. So I checked the fuses and they're ok. I guess I'm gong to be doing some investigating to see what I can do.

A thread about 6CA7/EL34 tubes by Electro Harmonix

Edited by Brazzy, 19 April 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#9 robyone

robyone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

have you checked the fuses? ALL the fuses ( two out of chassis and TWO inside?).

I remember one similar problem, a year ago, and the problem was a little fuse inside the chassis....

#10 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

have you checked the fuses? ALL the fuses ( two out of chassis and TWO inside?).

I remember one similar problem, a year ago, and the problem was a little fuse inside the chassis....

I haven't checked the 2 fuses inside the chassis as I didn't know about them, thanks for the important tip.

I was ready to get prepared to service the amp (Bias) when new power tubes needed installing. I had hopes of this amp lasting longer than this (new in Nov 2013) since it is in a climate controlled environment and used about 8 times a month for up to 8 hours a session.

What I did so far:

• Checked fuses on the rear of the amp, OK
  • Replaced the 12AX7's with new originals, OK
  • Removed the power tubes, inspected them and tried each one individually in a Jet City Picovalve, OK
  • Tried all the 12AX7's in the Jet City Picovalve, OK
  • Looked for other signs of burning without pulling the chassis, OK

I might try calling Line 6 if I find myself at dead end.

#11 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

I realized I forgot to mention that when powering up usually I'll hear a couple relays clicking which is normal, now I only hear one relay click. I would think that is an important symptom.

#12 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

I was reading this post and it sounds similar to my problem.

Thread Link

Re: DT50 finally fixed. Here's the steps I took....
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-12-26 10:01:15

Hi

The front end of the amp which controls the relays would work if the heater circuit fuse had blown.  Obviously the mains fuse is working, and you've checked the 32mm 500mA fuse in the back of the amp (tube protectiuon fuse)  is OK.  The heater circuit fuse is inside the amp chassis, and if this has blown for some reason you won't get any glow from the tubes.  The tubes should all have a faint glow when in Standby as they get heated in this mode to allow the electrons to flow when you apply the High Tension current (HT) by turning the Standby switch to On.  If there is no glow at all (you might struggle to see it in normal light, so it's best to check in a darkened room), it would indicate that the heater circuit isn't working, and a blown fuse would cause this.  It's unusual for the heater circuit fuse to blow, but if one of the tubes had experienced an internal momentary short between the HT side and the heater circuit for some reason the fuse would pop for sure.

It's expected that you will occasionally replace your power tubes as part of normal amp maintenance, and as you may know, replacing the power tubes requires the amp to be re-biased and this requires that the amp be removed from the combo case.  Provided you do this properly and you don't cause any damage, you should not give Line 6 cause to invalidate your warranty - they are more concerned with your personal safety as valve amps in particular can store up a electrical charge which will give you a nasty shock should you touch one of the smoothing capacitor pins and the chassis at the same time.  These normally discharge naturally over a few days.  More importantly tinkering around inside an amp's chassis whilst it's turned on is VERY DANGEROUS and potentially DEADLY if you don't know what you're doing.   However, if you need to check the state of your amp's fuses you have to take the chassis out to take a peek - there is no choice, other than to send your amp back as DOA or take it to a repair centre.

You could update the amp's firmware without the power amp being active.  I always do mine with the amp in Standby.  This is worth a try before you start tinkering with internal fuses.   I haven't personally experienced the firmware causing the amp to go silent and I've probably applied 6 or 7 different firmware updates at least.

Good luck

Nick

#13 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

After stepping back and thinking about this, letting things sink in, lol. Tracing my steps back, this problem didn't occur until after I moved the speaker and head. So I may have plugged into the wrong output port (by accident) in the 8 ohm section. I was looking at the back of the amp upside down as I was bent over when I did it. In the future I'm going to mark the correct port with tape so I have no problem when I'm in a bad position. I have a support ticket in progress.

I won't mark it solved until I know for certain what the deal is. The amp has been a very good experience for me thus far, I really do like the adaptibility of this amp and am going to keep it.

Attached Files

#14 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Finding it hard to believe that I plugged my speaker into the wrong port 'cause I'm always so careful with this equipment. I remember playing the amp for a couple of hours the night before and the day after the tubes never heated up when turned on so I let the amp sit for a day and then plugged it in with a 16 ohm cabinet into the 16 ohm output and low and behold it worked fine for about 15 minutes on "topo I" and when I switched to "topo IV" it worked for about another 5 minutes and the tubes went cold. I let the amp sit for quite a while to allow it to completely cool and it didn't heat up when powered back on. Then I switched back to the 8 ohm cabinet and all was fine for about 15 minutes approx. when it went cold again. Seems that switching the cabinet impedance gets it to work. Anyone have any input as to why?

#15 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

After letting it cool again. I went back at it with the 16 ohm cab and it worked great. I tried all the functions on the front the amp with no problems for about 30 minutes and powered down. Then I went right to the 8 ohm cab and did the same thing for about 30 minutes, having fun playing, changing channels and volumes, etc. Taking a break I powered down for about an hour and when I came back it wouldn't heat up again. Blasted, an intermittent problem. I tried the speaker cab change but no success.

#16 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

The two fuses inside are testing good also.

#17 filtertip

filtertip

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I have just had a similar problem with my DT50.  The only thing that has changed is that I upgraded the firmware on my HD500.  I powered up the amp and then plugged my HD500 in.  A few relay clicks later, the DT50 went silent.  I can just about hear it if I turn everything up full.  Bugger bugger bugger....

#18 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I have just had a similar problem with my DT50.  The only thing that has changed is that I upgraded the firmware on my HD500.  I powered up the amp and then plugged my HD500 in.  A few relay clicks later, the DT50 went silent.  I can just about hear it if I turn everything up full.  Bugger bugger bugger....

I guess your still trying to fix it? Have you tried to do the factory reset while powering up on HD500? After a reflash I think it's mandatory that you do this and recalibrate the pedal too. Save you patches before doing this though.

#19 filtertip

filtertip

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

My problem turned out to be cable issues - so absolutely nothing to do with the DT head at all.  Morale of this story is to make sure that you go back to absolute basics when fault finding!  Now I feel a bit dumb but at least everything works..

#20 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

My problem turned out to be cable issues - so absolutely nothing to do with the DT head at all.  Morale of this story is to make sure that you go back to absolute basics when fault finding!  Now I feel a bit dumb but at least everything works.

Thanks for the tip. I did check the wires and they checked good with the Spider Jam here, also swapped guitars. I don't play like a gigging musician so the equipment I have stays put and no one else uses it. I try very hard to keep this stuff in tip top condition so it works when I want it too. More than a few times I used it for 4 hours took an hour or more break and came back for another 4 hours. Using in conjunction with the HD500 via the L6 Link, plugging in the front, and using the midi all to learn and get a feel for it all.

The power tubes are not lighting up for sure but the power light is on along with the dash light. It was acting intermittent, power tubes lit up and would go out so I would turn it off wait a while and come back it work for a bit then it stop working and when I look back the tubes where not lit and cooling. After that I stopped using it, in between I checked fuses, wires, guitars, changed the preamp tubes with new 12AX7 EH's and pulled the power tubes to check them in another amp, looked at the pins, they were clean and carefully put them back in. Power tubes worked in my other amp, but I don't know if that's conclusive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users