Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking About Buying A Pod Hd 500x

ericdawelder

I'm considering purchasing a POD 500x.  But before I pull the trigger, I need to know f there is any latency when switching presets.  For example, If i wanted to go from blackface cleans on the verse to recto gain on the chorus, would there be any drop out?  I intend to use this in a live setting.

I've thrown out the words "latency" and "drop out."  Can anyone answer this question as to both potential problems I might have with this unit.

These issues are super serial deal breakers for me.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There's a small gap when changing presets, but I think in a transition from a verse to a chorus, it would work OK. I think someone measured it here before. I'm not sure what it was. It's pretty small.

Thanks for the replies.  

But what about changing settings within a preset?  For example, can i roll back the "drive" on an amp model to clean up the sound, and then max it out at the push of a button?  If so, will there be any latency or drop out?

To approach my questions another way, does the hd500x model the traditional clean/overdrive channel switching without latency or drop-out?

There are many ways of doing something on the hd500x, and I guess that would be one of its strengths. It's very flexible. You could control the drive of an amp with the expression pedal, but I don't think you can with a button. You could have two amps (in the same preset) and switch between them at the push of a button.

When controlling a preset with pedals and buttons, there is no latency in those actions.

Thanks for the replies.  

But what about changing settings within a preset?  For example, can i roll back the "drive" on an amp model to clean up the sound, and then max it out at the push of a button?  If so, will there be any latency or drop out?

To approach my questions another way, does the hd500x model the traditional clean/overdrive channel switching without latency or drop-out?

I'm not sure how you're using the terms "latency" and "dropout". To me, in this context they both mean the same thing. Are you thinking of them as different things in some way?

But if you want to go from a clean to an overdriven tone, you could do that a number of ways. One way would be going to another preset. Another way would be using a dual amp setup within a patch if you have enough DSP available to make it work. The other way would be to use an overdrive effect in the preset.

The basic thing is that there is a small gap when switching presets. Anything you do within the preset will not have that gap.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how you're using the terms "latency" and "dropout". To me, in this context they both mean the same thing. Are you thinking of them as different things in some way?

But if you want to go from a clean to an overdriven tone, you could do that a number of ways. One way would be going to another preset. Another way would be using a dual amp setup within a patch if you have enough DSP available to make it work. The other way would be to use an overdrive effect in the preset.

The basic thing is that there is a small gap when switching presets. Anything you do within the preset will not have that gap.

That, exactly. Well put.

good answers there.  Additionally, you can set up a dual amp path and use the expression pedal to morph between them by assigning the amp volumes to the pedal.  One pedal can control up to 50 different parameters so as you morph you can also be controlling all your effects too.  For instance changing delay feedback and reverb mix, noise gate thresholds, compressor settings, distortion pedal drive, etc...  You may find that morphing from clean to dirty on the recto sounds pretty damn awesome too...

imo you should probably forget about changing presets mid song. There is a noticeable delay, and with FX tails getting shut off dead can easily sound unnatural

you can :

a) use a footswitch (FS) to switch on an overdrive

b.  use a pedal for the amp drive (gain) level

c) combine a number of fx on/off into one FS.. so for example, can turn OD off, Chorus off, Distortion on, EQ on all with one FS

There are plenty ways to get the effect you desire