Photo

Would A Matched Pair Of Electro Harmonix 6ca7 Tubes Be Ok In The Dt50 Head?

Best Answer radatats , 06 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

while they MAY be compatible, they may also be different. apparently original 6CA7's were identical to EL-3s but today's 6CA7 version is a beam tetrode whereas the EL-34 is a pentode.

Bottom line, I would not swap them out as too many other things can go wrong in that dark hole of mystery known as a DT amp... Stick with EL-34s...

Did you swap out the 12AX7s first?  It may just be the Phase Inverter tube... worth a shot and no biasing involved...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Was wondering if it would be ok to use these tubes in my dt50 head permanently or at least to just test and see if my original power tubes are blown 'cause today the amp went cold. I have a new matched set of Electro Harminix 6CA7 tubes on hand.

DT50 Head output just went silent, any ideas why?

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist" "And Ya Know It"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#2 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:53 AM   Best Answer

while they MAY be compatible, they may also be different. apparently original 6CA7's were identical to EL-3s but today's 6CA7 version is a beam tetrode whereas the EL-34 is a pentode.

Bottom line, I would not swap them out as too many other things can go wrong in that dark hole of mystery known as a DT amp... Stick with EL-34s...

Did you swap out the 12AX7s first?  It may just be the Phase Inverter tube... worth a shot and no biasing involved...

Picture4.png

#3 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Did you swap out the 12AX7s first? It may just be the Phase Inverter tube... worth a shot and no biasing involved...

I'm going to heed your advice. I should've added to my previous post that when I bought these the description specifically said EL34/6CA7 and will fit in amps that use EL34 tubes but I also understand about the "DT's Mystery", lol.

• FAT BOTTLE EL34/6CA7 - Rugged Construction Big Tone
  • Handles high voltage well - Works great in all EL34 amps, both guitar and tube hi-fi
  • Gold-Plated Control Grid and high vacuum for long life and great sound
  • Huge Dynamics and great bass control. Much better than other EL34s
  • Sold in Match Pairs

Edited by Brazzy, 06 April 2014 - 12:32 PM.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist" "And Ya Know It"

#4 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I replaced both 12AX7's with New Originals and still nothing/same way. Just 'cause I could, I used all the originals in a Jet City Picovalve Amp to see if they would work and they did work well indeed, but I also understand that this test may not be conclusive.

#5 robyone

robyone

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

take a look here;

http://www.thetubest...onix-EH6CA7-HPC

... i use Tung sol el34b,  love them....

#6 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

take a look here;

http://www.thetubest...onix-EH6CA7-HPC

... i use Tung sol el34b,  love them....

Now I that was more informative than the info I had, lol. Thumbs up !!!

#7 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

Sorry I never thanked ya for that info. they never left the box I'll save them for another application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users