Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing Machine Heads On Jtv59 To Locking - Problem

I decided to swap out my JTV59 stock tuners for some locking ones to make string changing that much easier.

The replacements arrived today and they appear to be an exact match - certainly the holes line and the size is correct.

Changed out the first machine head for the low E (6th) - no problem.

Moved on to the A string (5th) - removed string, unscrewed bush, put screw driver in screw to remove the tiny holding screw and one turn and the screw head snapped off.   :(

Removed the machine head BUT now I have the body of the small screw embedded in my headstock - so I can't even replace it with a new screw.

So what can I do?   How can I fix it?  Shall I put the new machine head on without the retaining screw - or will it just move around?

Plus can I risk replacing the others now?

:(

And just to add to my worries - I need the guitar ready for a gig tomorrow night!   Didn't imagine that the screw heads would snap off the first time I tried to undo them!

I decided to swap out my JTV59 stock tuners for some locking ones to make string changing that much easier.

The replacements arrived today and they appear to be an exact match - certainly the holes line and the size is correct.

Changed out the first machine head for the low E (6th) - no problem.

Moved on to the A string (5th) - removed string, unscrewed bush, put screw driver in screw to remove the tiny holding screw and one turn and the screw head snapped off.   :(

Removed the machine head BUT now I have the body of the small screw embedded in my headstock - so I can't even replace it with a new screw.

So what can I do?   How can I fix it?  Shall I put the new machine head on without the retaining screw - or will it just move around?

Plus can I risk replacing the others now?

:(

And just to add to my worries - I need the guitar ready for a gig tomorrow night!   Didn't imagine that the screw heads would snap off the first time I tried to undo them!

Wow...quality is just oozing out of the hardware on these things, ain't it?

I have just gone ahead and put the new machine heads on.  I have left the broken screw in place and that machine head is being held secure just by the bush and washer - so far it seems solid - but I would feel much better if it had the small placement screw in place to ensure it cannot swivel!

It's not all that uncommon. I found a few videos showing a few methods just with a quick search. There are a few different ways to go about it with larger screws, but with a small screw like this, you're probably looking at something like this:

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for all your replies!

I spoke to my luthier who has said he can create a drill bit especially for extracting the screw and then patch the hole after - he says in the 30 plus years he has been working on guitars I am the first person who has had this happen, so he doesn't think he will get much use out of the drill bit but he says he won't charge me for that part of the work as he will benefit from having the extraction tool to use, if anybody else ever comes to him with the same problem.

However, from what you guys say, in the bigger world it has happened to far more than just me and is a problem that people know how to overcome.

For now the bush is holding it tight so fortunately no rush needed to get it fixed - but I will ensure I have a spare guitar at gigs until I get it sorted, just in case.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

@Edstar1960, which locking tuners did you end up using?  I'd like to do the same with my JTV59 but haven't had tome to find the right size without having to bore the headstock holes or drill new screw locations.

Thanks.

@Edstar1960, which locking tuners did you end up using?  I'd like to do the same with my JTV59 but haven't had tome to find the right size without having to bore the headstock holes or drill new screw locations.

Thanks.

I bought these unbranded tuners which are a perfect fit:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Rear-Disc-Locking-Single-Hole-Machine-Heads-p/jn013x3.htm

I understand that Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners are also a perfect match but they are over double the cost of the ones I found at axesrus.

• Upvote 1

I bought these unbranded tuners which are a perfect fit:http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Rear-Disc-Locking-Single-Hole-Machine-Heads-p/jn013x3.htm

I understand that Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners are also a perfect match but they are over double the cost of the ones I found at axesrus.

I've had 'em all...Schaller, Sperzel, Gotoh...but the Planet Waves auto-trims are the most satisfying invention ever. Don't need wire cutters or the clipper thing on the end of the peg-winder, neither of which I can ever manage to find when I sit down to change the strings. But with these things, changing strings is totally painless. Thread the string through, twist and the end just falls off. Best thing ever. They're not the prettiest tuners I've ever seen, but certainly not hideous and the convenience is priceless.