Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Usb Dongle Wich One?

I have asked almost the same question before and got the answer to buy Apples gear. When I went to an Apple store i found out that 1/ you have to have a router an USB to.......adapter..... 2/ The cost is almost like hireing a "soundman".

When looking at the brillinat video of how to connect the Ipad and the mixer he uses only 1 (one) USB dongle. That is what I want. The problem is that the dongles that are mentioned in the advanced guide are long by gone. They stoped manufacuring them years ago.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT DONGLE TO BUY (that still are on the market). Would be great if I can have an alternative one also. I live in Europe wich might be a problem. HELLLLLP!

Not sure why no response to your question - maybe as it's Saturday, people are out running their systems!

I'm afraid I don't have much to help with - I went with the Apple USB to Ethernet adaptor to an Apple Airport Express. It wasn't all that expensive as such things go - here in the US the adaptor is $29 and the Airport Express was $99. One could also do a generic USB to Ethernet adaptor and then use a Belkin 600 router - that would be a little cheaper.

What sold me on the Apple solution was not only the pretty solid connection one gets, but ALSO you can take a 3.5mm stereo cable and go out of the Airport Express and into the M20d and using Airplay you can play music through the Line 6 system. So, not only can you control the mixer from the iPad, but you can play music as well, using the same wireless setup... THAT is way cool. 

Coming from the Presonus digital mixer world, just getting the iPad to connect to the mixer was truly a pain  -you needed a laptop with a firewire port - and it had to have exactly the right chipset to work consistently - My Core i7 Sony Vaio, the only laptop I could find with firewire 3 years ago had the wrong chipset - constant issues!!! Hooking the M20d up took me quite literally 5 minutes.

I was considering getting a WiFi dongle initially and read about some issues with them, and as you say, the list is a little old. Perhaps try one of the same brand as recommended and return it if it doesn't work.

Hope you get it to work - but I'd honestly recommend the Apple solution.

Let us know how it works out for you -

Larry

I Have the EnGenius EUB9801 one I found it on ebay for 23 bucks B) , I think someone on here said once that they used one that was not on the list it worked but that is not the "recommended choice" :unsure:

Here is one for $33

http://www.cableyourworld.com/proddetail.php?prod=EUB9801

looks like they take paypal as well.

but you can play music as well, using the same wireless setup... THAT is way cool. 

You can play music with the way I connect as well but you must have (music) it on a usb stick in a hub with the dongle plugged in the same time or on the sd card.

what is unique about the airport is you can play from your itunes or whatever you use on the iPad itself

Thanks for answering. The EBay and the internet shops is of course an option. But it is much easier going to a shop buying an USB and returning it the same day as most of them doesn't work with the StageScape. I have tryed 4 different USB dongles. Same brands (latest versionen) of what Line6 suggests but they don't work. I'm not even shure that EnGenius is availeble in Europe.

I had hoped that someone from the Line6 staff would be kind enough to let me (and everybody else) know what to use.

Please publish a list of USB dongles.

Thanks L.

• Upvote 1

I cant see how its much easier to go to a shop, figure out that it doesnt work and the go back to return and get a new one....4 times.. :blink: .

I dont want to be a smartass or anything, but youre taking the long route to a solution thats already found :).

The way I see it is, you paid a nice amount of gold for this great mixer, but when it comes to the options for it you want to take the "cheap" way, to save a couple of bucks? its really not worth the hazzle. :)

But I would like to suggest that you think about using an external router.  The dongles are not as powerful and because you often set them at desk height that can easily be blocked out by the audience.  Yes it's more expensive but you'll get much better performance.

i can't recall which dongle i was originally using. But it was a pain to get it working. And it worked intermittently. Switched to airport express and ALL the problems disappeared. And setup was easy. Plus i got the added benefit of playing music from my iPhone or iPad wirelessly through the M20D using AirPlay.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not a big fan of Apple Products so............ It looked so good in the Line6 video to just put a small USB in to the M20. Not connecting "a lot of" boxes and cables. Anyway, thank you for replying. I'll see what I'll do :)

Thanks for your advice. I'm not a big fan of Apple Products so............ It looked so good in the Line6 video to just put a small USB in to the M20. Not connecting "a lot of" boxes and cables. Anyway, thank you for replying. I'll see what I'll do :)

I think you'll find a hearty "ditto" from a great number of people regarding not being a fan of apple products... I count myself in that camp too, but as with most things in life, the simplest path is the best to choose if you want a straightforward and predictable outcome, even if that simpler path costs a few quid more in the end and you have to compromise on a prior boycott of a certain conglomerates products! It's a real shame that there isn't an android option but I do understand the limitations that mean that, for now at least, the iPad is the only viable remote control method.

I gave up on the dongle idea pretty quickly as it seemed almost impossible to locate any of the ones on the recommended list in the UK. I tried to sweeten the situation by choosing a cheaper usb to Ethernet adapter, unsuccessfully and then just went ahead reluctantly and picked up the apple adapter and router. It works flawlessly every time. Plus, I have an entire Northern Soul playlist on my ipad which we stream to the M20 whilst we're not playing, so there is that one massive advantage that kind of compensates for the two additional cables and one extra box.

I do however agree that the video showing a dongle being plugged in and off you go is very appealing!

• 2 months later...

Reviving this because I can also report excellent performance with the Samsung dongle. Solid connection and strong signal.

One problem can be the signal being blocked due to the proximity of equipment cases, sheilded devices, etc. To get the best possible signal raising the dongle away from the M20D can help a lot. I took some signal strength measurements before and after connecting with a simple 1.5 M USB extender cable (I found one with a plastic base that made it easy to pop it on top of something with clear view of the audience). The difference in signal strengh and distribution in the room was quite dramatic.

Tablets also seem to differ quite a bit in their antenna sensitivity. My wife has an iPad, while I normally use a Samsung Galaxy. The Galaxy will lock onto even quite weak networks where the iPad can struggle. It would be nice if there was an Android version of the M20D control app....

"It would be nice if there was an Android version of the M20D control app...."

I would give a +1 to this, but that would be a bit disingenuous because I don't have a M20D. I would like one though, can't justify it.

Lots of requests for an Android control App for Amplify which is much worse than for M20D because you can't do a lot with it without an iDevice.  Despite the fact that Apple exclusivity is costing Line 6 sales (my purchase of an Amplify for my daughter is a definite example) and it being the No1 request on IdeaScale there appears to be absolutely nothing happening on that count.

I don't expect much change with Yamaha as owners either - they provide iDevice Apps for their high-end keyboards which similarly are just simple control interfaces with no real-time audio and they don't offer Android versions either.

There are lots of ideas from IdeaScale that are being looked at and worked on. Some will end up in new products and some will be added to existing products. It just appears that nothing is happening because it can take many months or even a couple of years to implement it and fully test it. Only then will it revealed.

• 2 months later...

The Samsung dongle does work - however... on multiple tests with several iPads (3rd Gen, 4th Gen, Air and Mini) connection speed and reliability is greatly improved by getting the dongle a short distance from the mixer casing. An extension USB cable does this very effectively. This mixer has a very heavy steel casing, and depending on the dongle's antenna and the siting of the mixer, I suspect that this close proximity could be an issue. Certainly moving the dongle away from the mixer casing solved all of our connectivity problems at a stroke.

I Tried 7 different types of dongles none of which work.

SOLUTION:

Then called tech support left a message and got a call back in 15-30 min. was instructed to use the following:

1, Apple USB ethernet Adaptor $29.00

1, Short Cat 5e ethernet cable ($5.00 IF YOU MAKE IT YOURSELF 15.00 IF YOU BUY ALREADY MADE) 

1, Apple airport Express $99.00 

- Follow instructions, if you can operate the M20d you can setup an airport express.

This Works Great!! Awesome range even through walls and downstairs with the A. P. E. module buried in behind the mixer and all kinds of cables.

Tech support experience was outstanding!! 

• 3 months later...

My stagescape-wifi interfers with de signal on mij V75 microfoons. All 14 signals are 'occupied' as soon as I plug in the (Samsung) dongle on my stagscape. I tried all wifi channels on the mixer but je problem remains the same. Continuous drop out of the mics as a result so I can't use mij Ipad during performance.

the use of a p180 signal amp. did not solve this problem

How can I solve this problem?

T. Veldhuizen, Netherlands

I managed to find the EnGenius EUB9801LFP but have had mixed results with a lot of drop outs so having seen this post and as I have a spare Apple Express I'm going to try that route.

Just an observation but I don't understand all the negativity towards having to use an Apple product that costs (in the UK) probably a 10th of what the mixer costs. Yes you need an iPad but you can pick one (that'll do the job) up in Cash converters for £99. I managed to get a refurb with Apple warranty for £280! When I look at alternative mixers and I then have to have a laptop that meets certain criteria to work with them, then the Apple option is way cheaper....and though I, as yet have no experience of it'd performance, I'll put money on its being a doddle to set up and it'll work. It's definitely cheaper than hiring a sound engineer for 3 gigs at the weekend and the interface is so intuitive, my Mrs can work it!!

I think we need to remember there are plenty of people out there who see us Line 6 devotees as the "Apple" guys of the sound world.....just sayin'

• Upvote 2

My stagescape-wifi interfers with de signal on mij V75 microfoons. All 14 signals are 'occupied' as soon as I plug in the (Samsung) dongle on my stagscape. I tried all wifi channels on the mixer but je problem remains the same. Continuous drop out of the mics as a result so I can't use mij Ipad during performance.

the use of a p180 signal amp. did not solve this problem

How can I solve this problem?

T. Veldhuizen, Netherlands

That doesn't sound right. Which RF mode are you running in? You should probably run in RF 1 mode.

That said, if you moved the paddle antennas a few meters away from the dongle it should nt be having any effect on performance. That would make me think you might have a different problem.

The sure fix would be to use an external router and run it on 5G ONLY. A Belkin N600 router (not dongle) or similar would be a good choice.

• 3 months later...

Just in case, there is a newer dongle solution: Samsung WIS12ABGNX

Hi there, I'm having a problem getting the iPad app to "see" the m20D.

You see, I have bought this USB dongle and the first time I connected it to the mixer it worked like a charm. Then the second time I tried to use it for one of my band's performance it connected fine but it said the connection was interrupted. And from there on, I was unable to connect it again.

The issue was not interference or distance as I was next to the mixer desk. Just beside it.

I tried to test it today again at home with nothing on but just the dongle and my guitar and iPad. The iPad was set beside the mixer ON THE SAME TABLE! I was able to find the mixer using the wifi settings on the iPad and the settings on the mixer say that wifi is active and tried different channels! Everything worked fine except The app is unable to find the mixer.

This is getting frustrating, first I had the grounding issue (which is now resolved) and then this. Not very happy with the multiple issues with this mixer. I purchased the dongle because it is recommended in your official forums. Can somebody help?

Hey Rick, if Nitroflash is using a dongle, that's all he needs, so long as it is a supported one. The dongle performs the same function as the router BUT experience has told us that a router performs the task more reliably.

Dongles don't have such a strong signal and, as such, appear far more prone to interference.

Before you give up on it Nitroflash, try adding a length of USB extension between the dongle and M20d and try to get the Dongle up to around head height if at all possible (higher if you can)