Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Midi Issue

sko1270

Hi to all ,

I just purchased a DT25 head and I am trying to connect it to Monkey to see what firmware I have.  I first tried using a cheap Chinese ebay cable and I was getting no lights on the midi side.  I went out today and bought a hosa midi to usb converter and I am having the same issue.  No lights on the Midi side, just on the usb side.  I connected Midi in of converter to Midi out on the amp and vice versa for the Out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks again.

Thanks again.  

I doubled checked all of that.  No lights on the midi end.  I am just worried the midi ports are no good on the amp.  

I am going to drag the amp upstairs and hook it up to my mac.  Maybe the midilogger will see something.  

Thanks again.  

I doubled checked all of that.  No lights on the midi end.  I am just worried the midi ports are no good on the amp.  

I am going to drag the amp upstairs and hook it up to my mac.  Maybe the midilogger will see something.  

Reverse the Midi connections at the back of the DT just to see if that changes anything.  Won't hurt to try.

I downloaded DTEdit (link from a sticky forum message) and verified that DTEdit could see see the DT, and I could make a change on the DTEdit screen (like Pentode to Triode for example), and also see the DT respond via front panel.  Also to flip the switch on the DT front panel and see the DTEdit screen update.  Once I saw that I knew I had the interface connections correct, and that Monkey should have worked.

You could have a bad Hosa USB/Midi interface.  I think I would suspect that before the DT.

I used a M-Audio M-Track as a Midi Interface (in place of the Hosa I had been trying to make work) and the firmware update went flawlessly.  I would not trust the Hosa.

Also I put the DT in Safe Mode when I performed the firmware update, which is:  DT Power off, Channel Select A/B switch - Hold down to Channel B and turn power on, hold at Channel B for approx. 15 seconds, then let go.  DT Midi will respond to firmware update with a "good" USB/Midi interface.  Firmware will flash and process will reboot the DT along the way.

-Gary K

I dislike the phrases 'good interface' and 'known good' interface. This makes it seem like its the interface which is at fault. It is not, it is line 6 monkey and/or dt amp which are at fault.

I have two usb midi interfaces, both work flawlessly in every situation (including complex sysex dumps to transfer patch banks between synths and host and back), multiple devices, mtc and clock sequencing, heavy midi traFfic loads,.. basically anything I can throw at them. But one never works with the dt amp, the other works in windows l6 monkey but not on mac l6 monkey.

Please be fair and put the blame in the right place; line6 monkey is bloody awful and very finiky. Instead of calling it a 'good interface' how about the term 'interface whigh can handle line6s non-spec crappy midi implementation'

I'm with you on this one. Never owned a product that only plays nice in a very particular set of circumstances as often as L6 gear.

"Don't use a hub, did you try a factory reset, did you save file to disk instead of live download, did you swap cables, try a different USB port even if you aren't using a hub, try safe mode, try reflashing again, try reflashing again, uninstall all drivers and reinstall them, try it again. Didn't work? You must be doing something wrong... "

I dislike the phrases 'good interface' and 'known good' interface. This makes it seem like its the interface which is at fault. It is not, it is line 6 monkey and/or dt amp which are at fault.

I have two usb midi interfaces, both work flawlessly in every situation (including complex sysex dumps to transfer patch banks between synths and host and back), multiple devices, mtc and clock sequencing, heavy midi traFfic loads,.. basically anything I can throw at them. But one never works with the dt amp, the other works in windows l6 monkey but not on mac l6 monkey.

Please be fair and put the blame in the right place; line6 monkey is bloody awful and very finiky. Instead of calling it a 'good interface' how about the term 'interface whigh can handle line6s non-spec crappy midi implementation'

Not really... It's the interface. The cheaper ones use the default Windows or Mac MIDI drivers, and they simply can't handle the streaming of large sysex files very well. I've heard the same thing from other companies who do firmware updates via MIDI. They all recommend using an interface with robust drivers that can handle the sysex streaming.

Is there a rock solid procedure to do this firmware upgrade with the m-audio uno adapter?  I would rather not waste hours doing it incorrectly. lol

I have a mac running 10.6.8 or a windows 7 laptop I can use.  If there are procedures for both that would be great, my new adapter should be on my stoop when I get home. :)

Thanks in advance.

get and install the drivers from m-audio's site for the uno... reboot if prompted...

make sure that in goes to out and out goes to in (pay attention to labels... sometimes the are labeled "to midi in" rather than simply "midi out")

get the latest version of monkey: http://line6.com/software/

i would recommend getting the flash file from that link also and doing flash from file... not required, but tends to be a little more reliable.

if that doesn't work or you get any kind of error...

try with only the mid out on the uno to the midi in on the DT amp...

So why are there so many issues with their USB stuff as well? Hell, even their chosen USB PORTS have issues (eg: HD series USB ports breaking)

Not trying to lollipop in anyone's cornflakes, but call a spade a spade. Line 6 has issues with software, especially in the recent past.

Not really... It's the interface. The cheaper ones use the default Windows or Mac MIDI drivers, and they simply can't handle the streaming of large sysex files very well. I've heard the same thing from other companies who do firmware updates via MIDI. They all recommend using an interface with robust drivers that can handle the sysex streaming.

Hey guys,

I got my new m-audio uno interface.  Added latest drivers to both my windows 7 laptop and my mac.  Still zero midi lights on the interface and Monkey still does not see the amp.  This is very disheartening.  I think I am going to have to return the amp.  Anyway here is what midi logger shows when Monkey tries to find devices.  

I have tried 3 cables and two computers.  

F0 7E 7F 06 02 00 01 0C 08 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 F7

try a reset on the DT50 first? pinch and hold the pentode and topology switches together, when you power on... once the lights flash and do their little dance release...

the amp will be back to factory defaults try again...

although the no lights thing on the interface sounds like a potential issue that doesn't have anything to do with the amp....

Hey guys,

I got my new m-audio uno interface.  Added latest drivers to both my windows 7 laptop and my mac.  Still zero midi lights on the interface and Monkey still does not see the amp.  This is very disheartening.  I think I am going to have to return the amp.  Anyway here is what midi logger shows when Monkey tries to find devices.  

I have tried 3 cables and two computers.  

F0 7E 7F 06 02 00 01 0C 08 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 F7

My cheapo generic has no trouble doing sysex dumps to/from my td12 and my access virus, yet won't work with dt25. There's nothing wrong with the interface that I can see, if you can recommend some kind of midi compliance test software I'd be glad to give it a whirl.

the fact that the user tried so many things... i think he had a bad amp, more so than a bad interface....

i've had reasonable success with the UNO, and the common cheap interface as well.

the UNO does more things more reliably and has a more robust and musician targeted driver package... 

that's a fact... doesn't mean that the basic functionality of the cheaper one will never work...

just when doing stuff like sysex updates and firmware updates i wouldn't want to risk relying on the cheaper one.

in some instances its not simply a matter of pushing the data bits forward...

it's timing, formatting, synchronization, etc the types of things that a driver can affect...

how much time do you think microsoft invested in their default midi driver?

and in what context? was it just the most basic of midi playback and recording?

do you think they bothered testing any outboard hardware?

the answers are pretty obvious...

but the basic midi spec that they surely followed covers alot of ground... and it does work for some of those things...

just good to have these thoughts and temper your expectations.

I think after spending so much time on this board and seeing so many folks have the same issue with the same products I'd temper my expectations of what Line 6 is capable of. Modeling? Pretty good. Software interface and implementation? Meh...

the fact that the user tried so many things... i think he had a bad amp, more so than a bad interface....

i've had reasonable success with the UNO, and the common cheap interface as well.

the UNO does more things more reliably and has a more robust and musician targeted driver package...

that's a fact... doesn't mean that the basic functionality of the cheaper one will never work...

just when doing stuff like sysex updates and firmware updates i wouldn't want to risk relying on the cheaper one.

in some instances its not simply a matter of pushing the data bits forward...

it's timing, formatting, synchronization, etc the types of things that a driver can affect...

how much time do you think microsoft invested in their default midi driver?

and in what context? was it just the most basic of midi playback and recording?

do you think they bothered testing any outboard hardware?

the answers are pretty obvious...

but the basic midi spec that they surely followed covers alot of ground... and it does work for some of those things...

just good to have these thoughts and temper your expectations.