4 replies to this topic

#1 rhenry412

rhenry412

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey, not sure if im posting this in the right area, but i was wondering if its a terrible idea to record through just the head of the amp without the cab? Wasnt sure if that would also destroy the head

#2 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

No harm will come to the head if you have no speakers plugged in and only have the headphone/DI output in use.  Most people keep the speakers plugged in all the time to ensure the amp is not accidentally damaged due to an uneven load (note that you should never plug into only 1 of the speaker outputs as this will unbalance the amp and could cause damage).

#3 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

No harm will come to the head if you have no speakers plugged in and only have the headphone/DI output in use.  Most people keep the speakers plugged in all the time to ensure the amp is not accidentally damaged due to an uneven load (note that you should never plug into only 1 of the speaker outputs as this will unbalance the amp and could cause damage).

Then what is one supposed to do with a mono rig with only one speaker cab?

#4 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

You need to rewire the cabinet, or get a second cabinet.  The load should be 8 ohms (or greater) on each speaker output.

#5 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

I received an email notice that you had quoted my last reply and argued with it, but looks like you deleted it.  I dont' want you to damage yoru amp, that's why I told you that you need to have speakers plugged into both left and right speaker outputs.  This is a stereo amp, designed to be run in stereo.  Hopefully you found the FAQ or other posts here that confirm what I said.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recording, spider head, hd150

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users