Photo

Jtv Replacement Battery Charger - Available At Batteries Plus, Amazon, Etc ... Cheap!

jtv battery charger replacement

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 thepler

thepler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

I recently purchased a used JTV-59. Of course it came with no battery charger or usb interface. After learning that the XTLive doesn't charge the battery, I googled a replacement charger. A user on one of these forums noted that the battery was similar to a Sony Handycam battery, model # NP-F570 camera.

I just picked a charger up at the local batteries plus yesterday for $30. In stock and works great!

Link: http://www.batteries...r-CAM10551.aspx

Also available much cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...np-f570 charger    (I didn't wanna wait)

Now, does anyone know if a generic Ethernet-to-USB adapter will work as a replacement for the USB interface?

Thanks,

T

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 17698 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA
  • Registered Products:16

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

there is no alternative to the usb interface... sorry.

#3 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois
  • Registered Products:12

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Line6 JTV battery charger

$49.99

#4 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts
  • Registered Products:6

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Now if we could just find a cheaper alternative battery that works in the JTV....   I would like a spare.

#5 snhirsch

snhirsch

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

Now if we could just find a cheaper alternative battery that works in the JTV....   I would like a spare.

If you modify the guitar to connect the + and - battery terminals to ground and ring of the 1/4" jack (instead of the internal PCB) I have to believe that any physically compatible 7V battery will work.  The OEM arrangement uses a digital handshake with the battery to ensure you have a gen-u-ine Line 6 battery, but since the guitar will power from 7V DC on the cable it ought to run from battery there as well.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this and do not intend to since my Line 6 batteries still hold a charge and I'll be moving to an XPS mini soon.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990)

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Fender / Roland GC-1 Guitar

Boss GP-10 13-pin Processor

Antares ATG-1 Autotune Pedal

Fender Mustang III.v2 Modeling Amp

#6 glaucofulco

glaucofulco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCotia - São Paulo - Brazil
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

I recently purchased a used JTV-59. Of course it came with no battery charger or usb interface. After learning that the XTLive doesn't charge the battery, I googled a replacement charger. A user on one of these forums noted that the battery was similar to a Sony Handycam battery, model # NP-F570 camera.

I just picked a charger up at the local batteries plus yesterday for $30. In stock and works great!

Link: http://www.batteries...r-CAM10551.aspx

Also available much cheaper on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...np-f570 charger    (I didn't wanna wait)

Now, does anyone know if a generic Ethernet-to-USB adapter will work as a replacement for the USB interface?

Thanks,

T

Thank You very much! Since I bought my JTV-89 I have no problems. But yesterday I left a guitar string touch the terminals and... BURNED something inside...
Then I found this post and it "saved my life". The generic charger (and batteries) costs half price from the original. And I can't found here in Brazil the original. Thank You very much!!!

#7 glaucofulco

glaucofulco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Again: Thank You very much!
Since I bought my JTV-89 I have no problems. But yesterday I left a guitar string touch the terminals and... BURNED something inside...
Then I found this post and it "saved my life".
The generic charger (and batteries) costs half price from the original.
And I can't found here in Brazil the original.
Thank You very much!!!

#8 stevekc

stevekc

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA USA (central coast)
  • Registered Products:14

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

. A user on one of these forums noted that the battery was similar to a Sony Handycam battery, model # NP-F570 camera.

That was my suggestion from a few years back 

But as we know the "official " Tyler Variax Battery uses a unique chip ID in the battery  - to verify its a genuine Line 6 Battery.

After many fires with other products a decade ago,  There are a host of new global UL/CE standards for Li-Ion Batteries in Consumer devices  - and the special Line 6 Tyler Battery with chip is more about compliance with UL/CE  safety standard - vs just another  profit center for selling a $18 Sony Camcorder battery for $49.99  

http://www.iec.ch/et...h_1011/ca-1.htm

#9 glaucofulco

glaucofulco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Again: Thank You very much!
Since I bought my JTV-89 I have no problems. But yesterday I left a guitar string touch the terminals and... BURNED something inside...
Then I found this post and it "saved my life".
The generic charger (and batteries) costs half price from the original.
And I can't found here in Brazil the original.
Thank You very much!!!

#10 glaucofulco

glaucofulco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Hey Guys!!!  :lol: 
I bought a "Sony Battery Charger BC-V615" (very cheap) and I had to "strengthen" some contacts of the original battery Variax JTV-89 and it worked !!! It perfectly charged the "battery" and this came on the guitar with a little more pressure but nothing that harms or spoil anything.

Soon comes the battery compatible with Sony NP-570 model and I'll test the Variax.

The next step will say here soon.

:D  See you. :P

Attached Files

#11 Hey_Joe

Hey_Joe

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationYorba Linda, CA USA
  • Registered Products:5

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

... I had to "strengthen" some contacts of the original battery Variax JTV-89 ..

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by  - You had to "strengthen" the contacts on the original battery?

#12 snhirsch

snhirsch

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Hey Guys!!!  :lol: 
I bought a "Sony Battery Charger BC-V615" (very cheap) and I had to "strengthen" some contacts of the original battery Variax JTV-89 and it worked !!! It perfectly charged the "battery" and this came on the guitar with a little more pressure but nothing that harms or spoil anything.

Soon comes the battery compatible with Sony NP-570 model and I'll test the Variax.

The next step will say here soon.

:D  See you. :P

Unfortunately, only Line6 batteries will work in a Line6 guitar.  Several of us have tried this with no success.  It might be possible to rewire the guitar so the battery ties to the same line as the ring of the 1/4" jack (not digital handshake on that AFAIK), but I've never been motivated enough to try it.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990)

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Fender / Roland GC-1 Guitar

Boss GP-10 13-pin Processor

Antares ATG-1 Autotune Pedal

Fender Mustang III.v2 Modeling Amp

#13 glaucofulco

glaucofulco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by  - You had to "strengthen" the contacts on the original battery?

Sorry about my English. I use the Translator to write. 
I had to "tighten", "to narrow" the two poles of the original Variax battery so they could be loaded on the Sony charger.

I'll try to cut it with a "saw arched" Sony battery connectors if it does not come.

The battery is coming and I will not have another use for it, if it does not work.
I'll take the test in the original charger that is burned, not to risk the guitar. Once I have results put here for those who are in the same situation I found myself. Thank you friends, see you soon.

Glauco Fulco ;-)

Attached Files

#14 Hey_Joe

Hey_Joe

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationYorba Linda, CA USA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

I see what you mean now. The English translator works well enough with the photos to give us a picture of what you did.

Thanks for the reply.

#15 mdmayfield

mdmayfield

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

Please don't try this - at best nothing will happen, and at worst you'll damage something.

The VDI connector is the same shape as an Ethernet jack, and since an Ethernet cord is just wires, it'll work to use an Ethernet cable to plug a Variax into a Pod. But the actual signal IS NOT Ethernet - instead, DC power, MIDI-like control signals, and AES-like digital audio is being sent along those wires.

An Ethernet device will expect entirely different signals to be sent on each of the eight wires in the connector, and certainly will not expect power to be sent along it!

#16 ms33trm

ms33trm

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

Does anyone know a UK supplier with any stock of batteries as I have been trying for weeks without success? Email to Line 6 USA replied they cannot supply to UK and suggested I phone European headquaters, which are in fact, Yamaha in Germany. I know some have issues with using chipped batteries rather than cheaper generic ones. I don't but would ask if you are restricted to chipped batteries then there should be a readily available stock of them at all time.

#17 stevekc

stevekc

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA USA (central coast)
  • Registered Products:14

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

Available August 2015 here:
Andertons UK 

http://www.andertons...iax-battery.asp

#18 meekie61

meekie61

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:20 PM

GAK in Brighton have the Variax batteries in stock http://www.gak.co.uk...er-variax/83345.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jtv, battery charger, replacement