Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Virtualbox - Usb Interface Will Not Load All Models To Workbench Hd

Hi,

As a Linux user and Variax 600 owner I have always had to resort to running Windows XP in a Virtual Machine to access Workbench and Gearbox (for the PODxt Live). No problems with that since 2007...

With my  JTV 59 (using the supplied USB interface, NOT the PODxt) the models begin to load, but fail to complete, sometimes after several, sometimes after just one.

I have tested the USB interface on a WinXP computer and everything works OK. 

The drivers for it appear to install correctly...

Anyone have a clue as to what might be interrupting the USB conversation ? 

Anyone fixed it?

Thanks..

You do not specify what your virtualization environment is (Vmware?  Virtual Box? Other?).  I can tell you from experience that Vmware's emulated sound card for WinXP guests causes problems with the Line6 USB driver when attempting a firmware update.  Line6 code is convinced that there's a midi interface out there and hangs trying to access it.  That said, I have had no problems running Workbench or WorkbenchHD in a Vmware Win XP session on my Linux box.  Still, it may be worth disabling the sound card in the guest machine configuration, restarting it and trying Workbench.

As a general rule, latency between the virtual machine and host hardware will vary as a function of other system activity.  If you are doing something that's very timing sensitive this can indeed cause issues.  I use the Floorboard tool in a Win7 VM to talk with my Roland GR-55 and it occaisonally crashes during data transfers.  Most of the time I can get what I need to do accomplished, so I put up with it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You do not specify what your virtualization environment is (Vmware?  Virtual Box? Other?).  I can tell you from experience that Vmware's emulated sound card for WinXP guests causes problems with the Line6 USB driver when attempting a firmware update.  Line6 code is convinced that there's a midi interface out there and hangs trying to access it.  That said, I have had no problems running Workbench or WorkbenchHD in a Vmware Win XP session on my Linux box.  Still, it may be worth disabling the sound card in the guest machine configuration, restarting it and trying Workbench.

As a general rule, latency between the virtual machine and host hardware will vary as a function of other system activity.  If you are doing something that's very timing sensitive this can indeed cause issues.  I use the Floorboard tool in a Win7 VM to talk with my Roland GR-55 and it occaisonally crashes during data transfers.  Most of the time I can get what I need to do accomplished, so I put up with it.

Sorry for delay in response.

As per the title, Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.10 , running an instance of XP 32bit using Linux Mint 13 (64bit) and the MATE desktop.

Thanks for the hints, I tried disabling the soundcard/midi features and got my hopes up when it got past loading 45 of 60; my joy was shortlived.

:(

Subsequent  attempts failed at 1 of 60... (That includes rebooting the VM, disconnecting and reconnecting the interface etc...)

My Line6 Variax 700 connects fine through the PODXTLive ... (has since 2007).

• 3 weeks later...

OK, GOOD NEWS!

Took a risk .....

Used an old XP box to update Variax Firmware to the latest 2.10 and now the models load (almost instantaneous) and save in the Virtual Machine ! Result.

SOLVED