Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Blind Test Pod -vs- Pedals

smrybacki

For all those who crave a blind test, here is an interesting test here.  This is JUST effects apparently as the same amp is used.  I seriously got all of them right.  How'd you do?

http://oruworshipctr.com/pod-vs-pedals-shooutout-1/

Edited to add: If you found this intrigueingm the link below is the main section of that site and the different posts detail the amps and pedals this guy used.  He also used an HD500 on the POD side of things.

http://oruworshipctr.com/tag/pod-vs-pedals/

• Upvote 1

I got them all correct as well. The pedals sounded a bit sweeter and organic but the POD did quite well and that was up against some really good pedals and not the models the POD pedals were based on, from what I could tell from post he had on the pedals he used. A better blind test would be to compare it to the actual emulated pedal. Still the price points do prove a good point. Maybe the actual pedals are better but the digital stuff is very close for much better price.

• Upvote 2

I listened carefully and selected POD for all the ones I liked the best without actual regard to which was which.  End result only 2 wrong.  Told me I actually PREFER the POD tones most of the time... interesting...

• Upvote 1

I listened carefully and selected POD for all the ones I liked the best without actual regard to which was which.  End result only 2 wrong.  Told me I actually PREFER the POD tones most of the time... interesting...

LOL, I approach the same way with you, and found only 2 correct...The sounds I like most was from pod, and I though it was the pedals....

• Upvote 1

I didn't approach it like that, but strangely enough, while I was listening, I *thought* the better sounding ones (to my ears) were the real pedals (and chose accordingly) and those were the ones I turned out to be wrong on. So for the most part, I liked the POD tones better, too.

The first video's effects generally sound more "studio eq'ed". They have a different shine to them. I liked both equally though. Same with the distortions in the second video. Neither one sounds better or worse. You can do exactly what you want with either one, but for far less money. Pretty fair comparisons. Thanks for posting these, fellows.

I was surprised that the L6 distortions were actually very close to the originals and with a little more tweaking could certainly have matched them.  I think a lot of players that don't like the L6 distortions and overdrives are comparing them to other pedals available today.  In reality those same players would probably prefer their pedals to the originals that the L6 models are based on too.  I can't necessarily disagree with them on that but the L6 models definitely do what they claim to do.

Speaking of analog pedals, this one looks stellar!!!

Keeley Neutrino  (limited edition introductory build / price)

Keeley Neutrino

On Sale: $217.55

"Our Funky, Hippie, Tripped-Out Envelope Filter/Auto Wah!  This is something I've wanted to do for over a decade.  Well, now it's here!

The Keeley Neutrino gives you all the classic funk auto-wah sounds and that Jerry-In-A-Box sound.  This dynamic wah sound is an effect based on your pick attack or strength.  The harder you pick, the harder it "wahs"!  Sounds bubble up from a deep rounded warmth to a shinning brilliance.  Solo notes are individually expressive based on how hard you play.  Create incredible vowel sounds... Can you say "Let's get it on"?!?  Chord work stabs can sound right out of the disco dictionary on how to play that funky music white boy!  We have used the classic opto-coupler design for a rich and warm depth to the effect.  A simple set of controls let you explore a wealth of tones.

This unit is designed to work with bass guitar and keyboards as well.  Simply adjust the Gain to get it to trigger the way you want.  Then, adjust the Peak control to set how much it "wahs".  Inside you can set the direction with an easy to set slide switch.  We have set it for a "Wah-Up" setting, the harder you pick the brighter it gets, the more it feels like you are pressing down on a wah pedal.

The Range control adjusts what frequencies are being stressed HI or LO.  Easily find your voicing.

If all of this is old news to you then here's the other details about this release:

We are back-ordered on the first 80 units.  New orders will take approximately 6 weeks, but I will update this regularly. Shipments should start April 7th for the earliest buyers.  We're absolutely smitten with this thing, and it's honestly been a challenge to leave it alone long enough to get any work done!

THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT GOT THE FIRST 80 UNITS!  I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU!"

I like the Line6 Distortion Modeler versus Analog Originals video.  IMO - That's as close as you can get. 

I can't think of how many thousands of dollars I've spent on equipment over the 40 years of playing guitar in everything from blues to country to metal.  I use two things now, a Marshall and my PODHD.  I wish I still had the pedals so I could sell them on eBay to the people that still think they are so much better.

• Upvote 1

3 right, 3 wrong. For me that means the POD wins ....no patch leads to go screwy, no knobs to get knocked, generally more consistency AND it's got all the amp mods built in for the studio.....AND its cheaper than the pedals, power supplies, tuners, floorboards etc.

I just spent WAY too much for a T-rex Twister 2, and I am not the biggest fan of chorus of flange! But this pedal in the slow, low flange songs especially is truly a wonderful sound.

But I spent $279 for it and for $499 you can get a POD HD500x. In the context of this video where it is hard to tell which is which, if it's perfectly understandable to me why people buy and love PODS.

• Upvote 1

I got them all right woo hoo! I'm actually really surprised I did because I don't think I'm great at hearing those little details. All in all though the differences were very small and just demonstrates again how well the HD covers all these sounds. I keep wanting to go the pedals route but every time I do things like this it makes me realize I don't need them (but I still want them ha!).