Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Overdrives Wanted For Next Update

radatats

Many threads have been started about how the overdrives and distortions are not the strong points of the POD HD series.  However, there are some great blind tests on YouTube that show they actually do a great job modelling the real units they are based on.  That leads me to believe that its not a weakness of the POD but rather the models themselves are dated compared to some of the ones in use today.

Instead of asking for new amp models (I think the ones we have are plenty anyways) perhaps we would be better off with a collection of new overdrive and distortion models.  I imagine these are easier to program than a complete amp but I could be wrong.  Anyways, lets start a list of ultimate OD pedals that we would like to see in a future update.  

Here is my selection to get started:

1, Fulltone OCD V3

2. Wampler Sovereign

3. Wampler Triple Wreck

What overdrive or distortion pedals would you add to the list?

Foo shizzle!!!! I use an Fulltone OCD v4 in the effects loop of my pod and I absolutely love the eargasms it can induce. I run my ocd with 18v instead of 9 because I use it ALOT as a clean boost. Buuuutttt...... I'd like a Plimsoul, Centaur, Paisley Overdrive or Brent Masons Overdrive. I'd like to see some new Fuzz pedals. The ones we have are a tweaking nightmare to tame for those beautiful Eric Johnson tones.

Many threads have been started about how the overdrives and distortions are not the strong points of the POD HD series.  However, there are some great blind tests on YouTube that show they actually do a great job modelling the real units they are based on.  That leads me to believe that its not a weakness of the POD but rather the models themselves are dated compared to some of the ones in use today.

Instead of asking for new amp models (I think the ones we have are plenty anyways) perhaps we would be better off with a collection of new overdrive and distortion models.  I imagine these are easier to program than a complete amp but I could be wrong.  Anyways, lets start a list of ultimate OD pedals that we would like to see in a future update.  

Here is my selection to get started:

1, Fulltone OCD V3

2. Wampler Sovereign

3. Wampler Triple Wreck

What overdrive or distortion pedals would you add to the list?

I have an OCD and a PlimSoul and a FullDrive2 plus a Fat Boost so you could say I am in the Fulltone camp.

That disclaimer out of the way, distortion is such a personal preference thing and my choices kind of confirm that.  But more telling is the sheer number of different takes on overdrive, distortion and fuzz out there in the pedal market.  I was going to count them all up, but my head exploded after 50 or so and I tanked that idea.

However, the distortions Line 6 chose to model are some of the CLASSIC models that many of these other current pedals are based off.  The Tube SCreamer, Rat Distortion, Chandler Tube Driver, Boss Metal Zone, Arbiter Fuzz Face and EHX Big Muff Pi are the ones most everyone tries to cop a so-called "fresh" take on.  The reason I have and use the OCD and PlimSoul on my "other" board are the fact that they are good and truly different animals altogether.

So yeah, I see what you are saying here and I would agree that some entirely different styles of overdrive/distortion/fuzz do need to be added to the venrable staples I mentioned.

1, Fulltone OCD V3

2. Wampler Sovereign

3. Wampler Triple Wreck

The funny thing is that one of these pedal is designed to emulate a particular amp, and then the other two are designed to be very "amp like". I think Line 6's perspective is probably that emulating more overdrive and distortions might be a bit redundant if those pedals are designed with the intent to emulate amps they already model.

Not trying to discourage suggestions... Just sharing an observation. Personally, I'm something of an OD, distortion and fuzz junky. I have too many. It would be nice if there was a bit more versatile fuzz. Something like the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh would be cool.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I am new to the pedal world and it May have been mentioned by brand name and I just don't know it but I use my hd500x for church and could really benefit with a transparent overdrive!

This thread is nearly 3 years old...

I wouldn't count on any "new" stuff for the HD platform. At this point, it's at least twice as old as this thread. Smart money says there will eventually be some new product(s) in the POD price range...probably sooner than later, as the Helix furor subsides a bit. Nothing lasts forever.

This thread is nearly 3 years old...

I wouldn't count on any "new" stuff for the HD platform. At this point, it's at least twice as old as this thread. Smart money says there will eventually be some new product(s) in the POD price range...probably sooner than later, as the Helix furor subsides a bit. Nothing lasts forever.