Photo

G90 Frequencies?

Best Answer RonMarton , 30 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

By now you really should know better than

• To be thinking "...how stupid is that..." and
  • To NOT be expecting help to arrive ! :rolleyes: :)

It's largely a matter of history.

RF1 (initially the only scheme in various Line 6 wireless models that end with a zero) has been around for years, and the original brief was only to provide gigging performers with a robust and transparent signal path that wouldn't be "trodden on" by such 2.4GHz traffic as existed back then.

The XD-V's trampling over whatever wireless devices that might turn up to the gig simply wasn't an issue in those more innocent "days of yore", and the later generation XD-V75, with its user-operable path to upgrading firmware and the availability of two "extra" channels, hadn't yet begun to occupy the minds of Line 6's development boffins.

I believe that Line 6 was pretty much alone at that time in having the foresight to then include an update port that's accessible via the back panel's guitar jack socket ...and I'd be fascinated to hear of any other manufacturer in this field that's undertaken the massive development effort required to both devise and release a retro-update path that arrived "for free" with their later model.

Regarding your RF1 usage, here's the relevant extract from http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1957

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wi-Fi Interference

Q: Why does my Wi-Fi slow down when I get my transmitter near my computer?
A: Because Wi-Fi and Line 6 2.4GHz wireless products share the same frequency band-space. Some users may experience a slowing down or even interruption of their Wi-Fi capabilities when using microphone or instrument transmitters in close proximity to their computers or routers. This is an example of a near/far interference problem and it may be intensified because consumer grade Wi-Fi typically has limited RF dynamic range. Using more XD-V channels operating at the same time will create more competition to Wi-Fi than a single channel would.

If your Line 6 transmitter gets within 6 feet of your laptop you may witness this situation especially if your Wi-Fi access point is some distance away. Typically, simply moving your Line 6 transmitter farther away from your computer will remedy the situation.

Users of Line 6 twelve channel systems can switch their transmitters to the “low power” setting as this will mitigate the problem as well. If you are using the system outside the USA you can likely switch your Wi-Fi channels to 12, 13 or 14 depending on your location. The frequencies for these channels are outside the Line 6 2.4GHz frequencies.

Likewise, switching Wi-Fi to 802.11n in the 5GHz band will avoid Line 6 wireless frequencies and double your potential Wi-Fi throughput.

Suggested channels settings to avoid interfering with Wi-Fi

WiFi:1    Line 6:11&12
WiFi:6    Line 6: 2&6
WiFi:11  Line 6: 5,8&9
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The technique for selecting from the RF2 scheme's 14 channels to derive RF2 interoperability in WiFi situations such as yours is explained at around page 29 of this manual:

http://line6.com/dat...h ( Rev C ).pdf

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Was looking for the channel to frequency chart for the G90s - It was in the FAQ I believe at some point but has been removed.

I cant believe L6 dont use the same channel to frequency protocol that the rest of the Wifi world does (so I believe) and doesnt publish them.

Im having serious issues with Wifi/G90 conflict.  Basically I set the G90 on Ch 12 (because it doesnt have 14 as the specs say it should have) and the Wiw on 13 (which is as high as that goes) and the Wifi it wiped whenever I turn on the G90 - even on low power.  that really should happen but it does - the G90 is a frequency bully :)

Anyway - I found info to say the channel numbers arnt the same protocol as standard Wifi channels, so need teh channel to freq info to find the most compatible channels to use.

To top it all - I could update to the latest FW to enable me to use the  FR2 frequencies, except I need another receiver to do this- how stupid is that - releasing a device running firmware with no way to update it without buying other (expensive) equipment.  

So - advice here please.  If noone has the actual freqs, does anyone know which channel on the G90 is most compatible with which Wifi channel.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:09 AM   Best Answer

By now you really should know better than

• To be thinking "...how stupid is that..." and
  • To NOT be expecting help to arrive ! :rolleyes: :)

It's largely a matter of history.

RF1 (initially the only scheme in various Line 6 wireless models that end with a zero) has been around for years, and the original brief was only to provide gigging performers with a robust and transparent signal path that wouldn't be "trodden on" by such 2.4GHz traffic as existed back then.

The XD-V's trampling over whatever wireless devices that might turn up to the gig simply wasn't an issue in those more innocent "days of yore", and the later generation XD-V75, with its user-operable path to upgrading firmware and the availability of two "extra" channels, hadn't yet begun to occupy the minds of Line 6's development boffins.

I believe that Line 6 was pretty much alone at that time in having the foresight to then include an update port that's accessible via the back panel's guitar jack socket ...and I'd be fascinated to hear of any other manufacturer in this field that's undertaken the massive development effort required to both devise and release a retro-update path that arrived "for free" with their later model.

Regarding your RF1 usage, here's the relevant extract from http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1957

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wi-Fi Interference

Q: Why does my Wi-Fi slow down when I get my transmitter near my computer?
A: Because Wi-Fi and Line 6 2.4GHz wireless products share the same frequency band-space. Some users may experience a slowing down or even interruption of their Wi-Fi capabilities when using microphone or instrument transmitters in close proximity to their computers or routers. This is an example of a near/far interference problem and it may be intensified because consumer grade Wi-Fi typically has limited RF dynamic range. Using more XD-V channels operating at the same time will create more competition to Wi-Fi than a single channel would.

If your Line 6 transmitter gets within 6 feet of your laptop you may witness this situation especially if your Wi-Fi access point is some distance away. Typically, simply moving your Line 6 transmitter farther away from your computer will remedy the situation.

Users of Line 6 twelve channel systems can switch their transmitters to the “low power” setting as this will mitigate the problem as well. If you are using the system outside the USA you can likely switch your Wi-Fi channels to 12, 13 or 14 depending on your location. The frequencies for these channels are outside the Line 6 2.4GHz frequencies.

Likewise, switching Wi-Fi to 802.11n in the 5GHz band will avoid Line 6 wireless frequencies and double your potential Wi-Fi throughput.

Suggested channels settings to avoid interfering with Wi-Fi

WiFi:1    Line 6:11&12
WiFi:6    Line 6: 2&6
WiFi:11  Line 6: 5,8&9
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The technique for selecting from the RF2 scheme's 14 channels to derive RF2 interoperability in WiFi situations such as yours is explained at around page 29 of this manual:

http://line6.com/dat...h ( Rev C ).pdf

#3 paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

I kind of get the history - but as an electronics engineer - anything that runs on firmware (most things these days - but not so in the past) should have a user way of updating that firmware.  Its a given - anything could happen/become apparent that makes a FW update critical.  Even DVD players 20 years old had a way of doing it.  Yes it was cumbersome but there was a way.  All engineers should be forward thinking in that respect.

Still.

#4 paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

OK - had a play with those frequencies.  Using Wifi channel 11 and G90 Channel 8 gives best results.  I have a working Wifi at the same time, with not too much slow down.

Thanks for that information.

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

That's great !  :)

I reckon that probably means you've no need to muck about arranging an upgrade, unless you eventually find that you need more frequencies.

You and others may still find the following thread of interest:

http://line6.com/sup...84358?tstart=30

It deals (in some detail) with the relative merits of RF1 vs RF2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users