Photo

Is Anyone Actually Happy With This Thing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 joeydego

joeydego

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

I bought the 150 (450 out the door at GC) and its performing as advertised. I load up my playlists and jam along to practice and I bring it to rehearsal because its easy. No problem in volume jamming along with a drummer, keyboard player, bass, 4 vocal mics and a PA. For what it cost, Im good with it. If i HAD to gig with it (I never will, but if I had to) I'd get by just fine I suspect. Anyone else? Reading lots of com[plaints here. Some valid, others a bit unrealistic. It was 450 bucks, Fractal Axe FX II and similar will set you back considerably more. This is prosumer stuff, take it for what it is.

#2 Guitarplayer1130

Guitarplayer1130

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

So far so good with mine. I've had it since this past Thursday and it works well provided you follow certain "rules".

By that I mean don't change apps on the iDevice, keep the iDevice relatively close, etc.....

Planning on using mine for a solo gig coming up next month. We will see......

#3 julioborko

julioborko

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Love using mine at home to practice. Use it at church (mic'ed). Used it at a wedding for my acoustic and for streaming wedding music via Bluetooth. Works for me!

#4 Shakey64

Shakey64

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, England

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

Really pleased with the amp itself and the tones out of it.  I think there are a lot of unrealistic expectations out there and a lot of negativity because it is iOS (not a problem for me as a fan of apple products) and not android/windows.  

However, having said that the application Amplifi Remote whilst working as advertised could be so much better and would take the whole amplify experience to another level.  There are some good ideas that people have put on Line6 IdeaScale that people could look at and vote for...

Vote On Idea        = Easy Way to Delete Favorite Tones

Vote On Idea        = Various enhancements to App

Vote On Idea        = Add more Preset Tones to Amplifi

#5 mjc02865

mjc02865

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

I like the amp. However, Line6 really needs to finish development--and refine--the amp's firmware, iOS app, and tone server. These components of "the system" simply are not where they need to be.

At the top of the list needs to be the USB interface which should work the Fender Mustang amps' USB works. When I first bought the amp I was very hopeful that Line6 would provide USB functionality but, as time passes I'm less and less optimistic. I thought by now we would have updates -- but this has not been the case.

Maybe someone from Line6 can chime in here?

#6 Brad_Ames

Brad_Ames

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

The one I played on was a 75watt, and it took forever to get the app working..the amp was fine but it is true the bass is a little weak. The main problems I had were the app constantly saying "cannot connect to line 6server"!ecen with perfect 4g and or WiFi, since everything is digital, I believe an app and firmware update would help to fix it. And other than the large price, the amp was ok for me, just too expensive for what it currently does.

#7 stevenlsenior

stevenlsenior

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Just bought the 75 today. Took a long time deciding to do it, but I'm happy so far. Key thing is knowing what you want. I wanted a small practice amp that doubles as a music system for our spare room. Something to get me playing and practicing as quickly (and therefore as often) as possible. I'm not a gigging musician, nor a massive tone connoisseur. I'm not expecting it to perfectly replicate every nuance of a tube amp. 

Amplifi seems pretty clearly marketed at players like me: people who can't justify spending £1000s on kit just to twang away in the bedroom. Line 6 seems to have plenty for the more serious players (and those with bigger wallets).

#8 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

It's good to read a post where some people are happy with the Amplifi. I haven't had the opportunity to try one of these yet, maybe down the road.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#9 danperry

danperry

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm happy with the 75, although it is dead until they fix the remote app issue.

USB would benefit not only customers, but it would boost Line6 customer service reputation which is never a bad thing, and this doesn't mean they need a boost in that necessarily.. Just sayin'

The Amplifi 75 is the first device/amp/effects unit I have used that allows stacking same type of effect together, like 2 analog chorus's for example..or 2 of whatever, maybe 3, but haven't yet tried that..

#10 Spantik

Spantik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationZürich greater area

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Fine with me, had a Yamaha THR, but the iOS capability with BlueTooth is simply awesome. Driving the amp at your fingertips is really making practice a pleasure and efficiency is substantially enhanced.

However, the automatic tone matching might become a serious issue, as it happened to me that the downloaded tone had both volumes (master and guitar) almost at maximum, the first strum was effectively scary.
And trash the manufacturer four preset tones, they are pure scrap. You then can choose between zillions of more appropriate and satisfactory tones.

So far, the AmpliFi 150 is a great practice tool with infinite flexibility. The only con for the moment is the digital sound, sometimes very artificial.

#11 PacxDragon

PacxDragon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'm loving my 75 so far, works exactly as advertised for me and I've been playing around with tones and settings. Just plugged in paired the Bluetooth connection and logged in on the app, had a couple error messages but they didn't affect anything. Did the flash update to stabilize the Bluetooth connection and everything was fine.

Most of the bugs I see mentioned (like Bluetooth) have already been fixed by software updates. There is only so much testing you can do in beta, so I don't expect software to be perfect as soon as it's released, I just expect it to work. So other than wanting to see a few refinements to the app (like actually being able to browse tones not just search) everything is working 100%

#12 Mikey333

Mikey333

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'm bothered that they don't have a pc remote app..... I don't know what the decision process is, but there are a lot of us pc Neanderthals that are asking "what the..."  Yes, it's a decent sounding but no everyone owns an apple unit.   

#13 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

I think a lot of us are waiting for increased connectivity before buying!

#14 rkhiii

rkhiii

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

<< Is Anyone Actually Happy With This Thing? >>

Couldn't be happier.  --r

#15 Spantik

Spantik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationZürich greater area

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

More than one month using the Amplifi 150 almost daily and so far just amazed of that practice amp, the connectivity and control over the iPad or iPhone is just great. Hope that soon also Android users will be able to profit from this amp and that we all will ejoy the firmware 1.1

#16 guitarman001

guitarman001

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Love my amplifi 150 tones are nice sounds great but wifi is ok at home, have trouble when playing at gigs with wifi kicking on and off, till they fix wifi problem will use as a practice amp. And yes I updated tried all suggestions no luck yet. One more thing anything about usb or computer hook up yet?????

#17 AtomGram

AtomGram

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

<< Is Anyone Actually Happy With This Thing? >>
Couldn't be happier.  --r

I am about two months in with this. Quite happy. For starters, let's just take the tube/digital thing out of the argument. I teach at two days a week at a local college. This thing is a killer tool for teaching. I already use Amazing Slow Downer as a teaching tool. Having Blutooth is dumb convenient. Kids bring in music on their phones all the time. No brainer. It also sounds pretty damn good. Teaching new players about different effects, amps, etc and what they do is as easy as it gets. I am super happy with this amp. I tried a Spyder IV about a year ago and traded it off. Sounded great. Something just didn't click. This is different for me. Convenience outweighs the little quirks for now and it sounds like they are working on that stuff. Thumbs up.

#18 bprendie

bprendie

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

I bought an Amplifi 75 the day they came out in GC. It's the only piece of gear I use EVERY day. It fits nicely on my desk, and is awesome for practice. I also play out with it every week; it's super light, and it sounds absolutely great. As with any Line 6 piece, the difference between what you hear in the headphones is pretty different from what comes out of the speaker when it's cranked up, so you need to make sure that you can tweak your sound once you're on stage.

The iPad holder on the top is a great touch. The only 2 issues I have are fairly minor, and not really the amp's fault.

1.) When your phone or iPad is in remote mode, the battery drain is pretty ridiculous. I charge my iPad before a gig, and from soundcheck to shutdown, the battery will drain as much as 70%. It's as if the bluetooth is constantly chatting with the iOS device... I'm sure they'll address this in a future FW update.

2.) You absolutely have to remember to put your phone or iPad on Do not Disturb. If the bluetooth is linked, all of your text message and email sounds play right through the amp.... and pray you don't get a phone call while you're on stage! I don't know if it would be possible, but a "gig button" on the remote would be an awesome feature. It would put the device into DnD mode, and avoid inadvertent interruptions. Thankfully, it was just during soundcheck that I learned this lesson!

Other than that, this amp is awesome. It sounds great at home, it's loud enough for a small club, and for bigger venues, mic it, and enjoy!

#19 louper

louper

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

The amp emulation and effects are totally acceptable for the price. The sound of the amp itself is totally acceptable.

I guess i should mention that all the presets i use are custom programmed. I was not really happy with presets i downloaded from the Amplifi cloud. And finding ones you might be interested in using the ios app's search facilities is less than ideal for me. So when i do find something in the ballpark, i then pretty heavily tweak it so that it works for my particular personal playing style. The ios app's editor is totally acceptable for custom editing of presets. It's very easy to use. 

The fact that there are only 4 preset memories in the amp itself is a big limitation for me personally.

I bought this when it first came out at the beginning of the year and it is now the end of June, and as far as i know, the USB port is still not working. Please correct me if i have a mis-conception about this.

Using a mike to record this amp kind of defeats the entire purpose of owning it, so the fact that i can't record the output of the amp digitally into Ableton Live on my mac is really limiting it's use for me currently to practice only.

I've reported issues i've run into with the bluetooth connection to the ios amplify app before on the forum.

It always works correctly when using it as a bluetooth speaker for other apps, so it seems like an amplify app issue.

For a player like myself, the amplify app could be much better thought out. It seems designed for a very different kind of player. I've posted various suggestions on Line 6 Ideas regarding how it could be improved for a player like myself.

I say i use it for practice only. But the lack of an external effects send/return is kind of becoming an issue for me, because i like to use external looper pedals as a part of my guitar practice regime. Ideally, you'd like the looper to be after the guitar effects in the signal chain, so that you can record a loop, and then change the guitar effect sound you are using when you play back on top of the loop. Since you have to put the looper pedal in the signal chain before the raw guitar signal enters the amp, you can't really do this with amplifi. Both the loop and the guitar you are overdubbing on top of the loop are run through whatever effect preset you have loaded into the amp.

Again, maybe at this point my attempted usage of the amp is way beyond what the designers intended it to be used for.

So i guess my biggest beef with this amp is that the designers seemed to intentionally dumb it down in different ways. Which might be perfect for a certain kind of casual user. Who just wants to very casually play guitar along to an itunes track of some band they like. That kind of seems like the ideal user the designers focused on.

i was initially attracted to it because i have used digital amp simulation and digital effect for years, including Line6 pods and Line6 modeling guitars. And was always very happy with those products in the past. Both for live gigs, and for use in the studio. So when a new 'revolutionary' amp was announced by Line6 with integrated Line6 amp simulation and effects and high quality stereo sound output, that sounded very exciting. And they also said it had a USB port, so i just assumed that actually worked and would provide a digital connection from the amp to a computer for recording purposes. So i ordered one as soon as it was announced, because my experience with Line6 products had been so stellar in the past.

In hindsight, i should have waited for user reviews. Had i done that, i probably would not have purchased the amp. The sound of the amp and it's effects are totally acceptable to me, but other aspects of how it is to be used, the design of the ios app, the stability of the bluetooth connection, the lack of external effect sends, the lack of a working usb connection, all of these issues lead me personally to be kind of frustrated with it.

#20 thegaijin

thegaijin

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

Very happy with my 75.
Anything to get me playing more is a good thing.
Still trying to figure it out, but like it a lot.

#21 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yes to that concept! Sometimes the energy involved in working with the more complex offerings the "dream rig" presents gets overwhelming for me - too many options makes it hard to decide on things. I don't have an AMPLiFi, so I don't know about the specific workflow of achieving a tone functions -  I like hearing that customizing your tones with the IOS app is easy to do.

I've been mucking about lately with adding outboard gear to my HD500 rig, and it's gotten pretty complex to set it up, wire all the cables and the amp and the extra pedals and such. Simplicity is a godsend when you just want to play music and not fuss about with a million different options!

As far as the various limitations in the AMPLiFi gear, concerning recording, I suppose that's just the way it is. Surprising to some extent, that the USB port doesn't function as an audio send a computer, nor does it have any line out that still allows the speaker to be used. Though again, just getting something that makes you want to play is different than something that is used as a tool to record. Once I start recording, I often lose the type of "in the moment" playing exploration, so it's a constant back and forth between raw creative energy and focused "deciding power".

Anything that encourages creative music exploration is good, no matter what it's inherent limitations.

For that price, it's hard to beat. I have a thing for Keeley pedals, and they only do one thing per pedal. So, for the price of two Keeley pedals, give or take, you get one AMPLiFi.. I overdid it a bit, realized I liked being able to toggle individual effects on and off, so embarked on a ridiculous quest to add a complete analog pedalboard in front of the HD500 and added an M13 for the effects loop... I can say, running the M13 in stereo in the HD500 effects loop is pretty awesome. The analog pedals in front of the HD500 don't always work as well as I would like - I'd imagine they might function better in front of the DT25; but I like the manner in which the DT25 and the HD500 work together to render the amp models in such a fantastic manner - much more so than just the amp models by themselves in studio/direct mode.

So getting back to that original comment, I heartily agree and will re-state it now:

"Anything to get me playing more is a good thing."

"Searching for a distant star, Heading off to Iscandar

Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find?"

#22 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Very happy with my 75.
Still trying to figure it out, but like it a lot.

I felt this way when I got the X3 Pro & Spider Jam way back in the day, lol, and I'm still learning new things.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#23 wilson69978

wilson69978

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yes I am happy with the amplifi 75.  I had back surgury and can only lift so much weight.   This little package I can handle.  My wife loves the headphones.  lol.  To the nay sayers I say.... come on ,  200 plus effects combinations and amp models?  How can you not love that.  When I started playing almost 50 years ago, one could spend untold thousands  to get a fraction of this amp's capabilities.  This is a great product for the price.  NO it is not perfect, nothing is.  Enjoy it for what it is.... a great little amp with terrific features at a reasonable price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users