Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Iv 75 Watt Makes Crackling Noise When On High Gain And Drive.

Cozz33

Hi, I've noticed a slight crackling noise when I play with high gain and drive, most noticeable when on the insane setting. Clean channels are fine. The noise is very slight and really doesn't bother me. My question is should I be worried about this? Will playing on the metal and insane channels break my amp?

Sounds like you may be experienceing digital clipping. Does it go away when you back off the drive a bit? You don't need the foot pedal but it is a very nice option for sure. Try honing in on your tone, lower the drive and volume and work your way back up.

Yes I don't hear any crackling when paying through clean channels. Is this damaging my amp? 

I don't think it's damaging your amp. It just doesn't good. You said your clean channel sounds ok and that's cool, but you should go back to the channel "insane" or "metal" and try to hone in on a good tone without the clipping. Try adjusting the gain and volume to get a good dirty tone without that noise your hearing if you can't maybe something in the amp vibrating especially if your playing at high master volumes.

Come to think of it I don't think you run those channels with the gain at max without clipping.

• 4 months later...