Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 For Live Playing?

mondorbit

Hi,

I've been thinking about the M13 for weeks now because it's very simple and useful. I would probably use distortions, fuzzes, reverbs/delays and some modulations most of the time.

My questions are:

- what do you think about the distortions,

- how will the effects of the M13 sound at outdoor concerts (especially distortions, because of the loudness)

(I use Marshall and Mesa/Boogie tube amps most of the time, so how will it sound on a tube amp?)

I have already tried out but when I was in the store, I didn't play on the same volume as I play on gigs or in the studio.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have used my M13 for live shows for over 4 years now without a problem.  Have used the distortions occasionally when using house gear.  They are not bad and can replicate some of the best boutique pedals on the market.  When played through the clean channel of an amp, along with the M13's global noise gate, your tone will pretty much be noise free. 

But if you are using amps such as Mesa or Marshall's, then you should consider running the M13 through the effects loop and use the amps gain stage to provide the dirt.  The M13 blends well with any amp, and when using the 4 cable method, the tones are limitless. 

This is how I have mine routed...4 cable method, running it basically after my 5150's preamp.  This also leaves me an extra set of effects to play with, as I have all the gain I need from my amp, and now have 4 slots for EQ's, comps, Modulations, delays, reverbs, filters...

FWIW...I did like the Tube Drive on the M13...nice compression and tone.  Color drive is a good one, also.  Line6 Distortion is another favorite. 

I love my M13, and will buy another one when this one craps out on me!   After 4 years of playing one, I cannot imagine NOT having one! 

• 3 weeks later...

I use M13 for about 2 years and there is no problem.

- what do you think about the distortions,
- how will the effects of the M13 sound at outdoor concerts (especially distortions, because of the loudness)

Distortions are great, but I use Fulltone Fulldrive and MXR distortion in FX loop (because I dont trust digital distortions :-)). If you use Marshall and Mesa/Boogie, try "4 cable method" - for example: Unit 1 (wah, pitch, ..) > Tube Amp > Unit 2-3.