Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have an old D'Armond SG copy in my collection.

Last night while testing out the new firmware, I blended the magnetics in on my JTV-59P and I was getting some SG type sounds. I had the mags blended in about 15%.

• Upvote 1

I have an SG model on my 600. This means it only works for 1.9 not HD. Basically what I did was put LP humbuckers on the red LP junior and backed the pickups to the bridge a bit.

Sounds like a slightly brighter les paul.

I can nail tones from songs that use SGs, and it sounds REALLY good for metal music as well. Palm mutes sound fantastic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21663288/workbench/SGnew.zip

Can get sounds like the lead/ guitar on the left:

Very jangly yet humbucker-esque through an JCM 800 sound.

• Upvote 2

Yes try the Les Paul Jr body for the SG. Or any of the other flat solid bodies in the "Special" category. That's your first stop in recreating an SG. I have an SG, and have gotten close with the old Variax models. Haven't had time to try it with the JTV models (HD).

• Upvote 2

Yes try the Les Paul Jr body for the SG. Or any of the other flat solid bodies in the "Special" category. That's your first stop in recreating an SG. I have an SG, and have gotten close with the old Variax models. Haven't had time to try it with the JTV models (HD).

Exactly. Les Pauls are thicker than SGs. The bodies of a LPJ and SG are probably the closest.

Like I said, I added even a bit more brightness by nudging the pickups towards the bridge. 

While an SG and LP are very similar, I do think an SG has just a slight bit brighter and janglier than an LP.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Try Lester Position 4. The description is as follows:

1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom

This popular incarnation of the Les Paul Custom (later known as SG) offers three PAF’s. The Variax models the combination of bridge and middle pickups that set this Les Paul apart.

I don't have a JTV, but I suggest using the LP special as the body, LP humbuckers and back the humbuckers up towards the bridge a smidge.

That's how I did it in the old firmware, give it a try and adjust from there.

• Upvote 1

my problem is that I don't have a SG, so I do not have a reference point.....

I did an A/B comparison between my SG and other SG recordings. Brighter attack than my personal SG but the overall tone was about the same.

I can hit you up with recordings of my SG models on my Variax for you to work with.

• Upvote 1

clay-man, that wld b nice.

cld u send a link 4 downloading the original SG (not the models) direct recordngs?

Can't do my SG right now because I'm not at home atm. My SG doesn't have the best attack because of the pickups being a bit muddy. Like I said, I based it on mine and tweaked it to other recordings of SGs.

Yo, heres a recording of my SG since I'm at my house again.

First part is the bridge, second part is the neck.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21663288/Music/sgdry.mp3

The only difference between the patch I made and my actual SG is the attack is brighter when you hit the strings harder on the Variax, which I actually like and can get the SG sounds in the videos I posted earlier.

• Upvote 1