Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Still Here,

DickFoster

Same here, not going away soon either ... my #1 live & studio amp since December 2003 is my trusty old Vetta II combo (ca. 220 gigs without failure) - together with my JTV-59 & JTV-69 - my dream rig :rolleyes: ... I'm using acoustic & electric sounds to equal parts live & so far haven't found anything giving me the sound quality & flexibility like this combination :)

Mine is an origianl Vetta I combo that has been software upgraded to Vetta II but the inteface board simply isn't obtainable anymore.

If I get into guitar modeling, I think I'll give one of those Roland VG99s a shot. With their record of practically no to non support and complete abandonment, I'd be hard pressed to buy a Variax or anything they make for that matter. You may as well go out and buy a car made by Tucker. Heck even DeLorean has parts availability.  

Same here, not going away soon either ... my #1 live & studio amp since December 2003 is my trusty old Vetta II combo (ca. 220 gigs without failure) - together with my JTV-59 & JTV-69 - my dream rig :rolleyes: ... I'm using acoustic & electric sounds to equal parts live & so far haven't found anything giving me the sound quality & flexibility like this combination :)

I have the Vetta 1 and bought the interface just a week later as I had a variax or two at the time. Pleased I bought the interface, has come in handy over the years and of course works just as well for my Variax 69. I use a DT50 and 4x12 to gig but the Vetta is still a killer amp. One of my friends at the jam has a Vetta two but he can't make it sound as good as mine. Mmmm, must be the Armin mod I installed. That was also a really good buy at £60, the cab models are steller, I just wished there was a list somewhere stating what they all are as I have only ever used my ears to pick a great sounding cab for each amp model that I use. Don't suppose any of you guys have any info on that?

If there were anything along those lines it would probably be found on Vettaville somewhere.

I've heard good things about the Armin mod and have thought of springing for it myself. I guess it can still be had. I suppose it's just a bunch of patches that replace the factory junk.

It seems everyone has about the same thing to say for factory patches regardless of brand or equipment, Line 6, Roland, Digitech et all. None of it very flattering. In the end, you're just not going to get away with not twisting a few knobs and spending some time with it. I just wish they'd label it differently, like what it does in the same manner as many synths instead of putting it in terms of copying something that it can never can really be. Give me something like 2nd and 4th harmonic levels etc.  

I can live with the fact that they didn't stick with the Vetta.  I cannot live with the fact that they assured users that the BUGS would be fixed and then pretended that they hadn't.

P.S. V1 HD with VDI (HD was purchased shortly after release and VDI added right when it was released).  Still works great except for the bugs and one encoder wheel that needs spun more than it should to change values.

I checked Vettaville some time ago for info on the Armin Mod but there is none. All the same, I think the mod is still available last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. About the mod, if you can live without the PC edit software then I cannot recommend the mod enough. All the amp models are named correctly for one thing and did I mention just how good the cab models are. Honestly, my mate with the Vetta2 just cannot get his amp to sound anywhere near as good as mine with the mod and we've tried all manner of comparisons. He plays along side me at jams and I can see the envy all over his face every time I play. The wicked side of me feels very jolly.

But, that's it with the Vetta, it's sounds very very good, but does not play like my DT50. There is some sterility there in the Vetta but good players can make 'em sing and I'd like to think that I'm one who can. Yet my jamming mate, whilst a good guitar player, plays in a sterile manner. Who knows, I'm rambling now.

Anyway, it is really good to know that there are still many of us who still use these awesome amps. Shame Line6 abandoned the project.

Keep rockin

It was probaby from Alpha a Taiwan company.

I suppose you're talking about one of small knob encoders under the user interface display. I'm pretty sure you could get a part to replace it if needed.

They are mechanical incremental type encoders that output two bit quadrature code and 24 pulses per revolution. 

Some of the screen printing has probably worn away or the one of the contacts in the bad encoder has some crud on it. It may even respond well to some electronic contact cleaner if you can get it worked down in there. I would not use any cleaner with lube in it for a rotary encoder. Use some that is residue free and plastic safe of course.

If you can't find the Alpha part, you can probably replace it with something from the Bourns Proaudio line, perhaps one of these http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PEC12R.pdf.

Make up the part number for what will best fit then check with Mouser, Digikey and other electronic parts distributors to get one.

At only  a buck or so each, you may as well get yourself some spares.

I can live with the fact that they didn't stick with the Vetta.  I cannot live with the fact that they assured users that the BUGS would be fixed and then pretended that they hadn't.

P.S. V1 HD with VDI (HD was purchased shortly after release and VDI added right when it was released).  Still works great except for the bugs and one encoder wheel that needs spun more than it should to change values.

You'd think they could change the patches without messing with the Midi interface code bit. I can't quite wrap my head around that one. I guess I need to investigate a bit further. I could care less about what they call the patches. Line6 probably named theirs the way they did to avoid any potential legal hassles. Understandable to me anyway.

If I were more of a software type than a hardware type, I'd probably get a lot more out of it but I still like it. 

I checked Vettaville some time ago for info on the Armin Mod but there is none. All the same, I think the mod is still available last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. About the mod, if you can live without the PC edit software then I cannot recommend the mod enough. All the amp models are named correctly for one thing and did I mention just how good the cab models are. Honestly, my mate with the Vetta2 just cannot get his amp to sound anywhere near as good as mine with the mod and we've tried all manner of comparisons. He plays along side me at jams and I can see the envy all over his face every time I play. The wicked side of me feels very jolly.

But, that's it with the Vetta, it's sounds very very good, but does not play like my DT50. There is some sterility there in the Vetta but good players can make 'em sing and I'd like to think that I'm one who can. Yet my jamming mate, whilst a good guitar player, plays in a sterile manner. Who knows, I'm rambling now.

Anyway, it is really good to know that there are still many of us who still use these awesome amps. Shame Line6 abandoned the project.

Keep rockin

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, after 6 years of faithful service, I have decided to sell my vetta to cover the cost of a fishman artist.  I have started playing all acoustic stuff, and the vetta is way too much amp than I need anymore.  Do any of you know the best place to sell the vetta?  It is a vetta 1 upgraded to vetta 2 (has the VDI upgrade, etc to use with variax).  Guitar Center offered $200 for it, and acted like they were doing me a favor.  I was quite disappointed to see had bad the vetta depreciated.  Anyway, I appreciate any help, or advice.  Keeping it is not an option by the way.  

don't know if it's the head or combo you have...

but demand is so low at this point that I don't think you'll find much interest...

however, i wouldn't be surprised if you could get nearly 200$ out of the VDI card alone on ebay.... (they are IMPOSSIBLE to find)

and possibly the same for the amp depending on if its the combo or head....

just a guess though....

but pretty much ebay or craigslist...

I sitll have two vettas for live use and I need a third now for backup. If you're selling I'm interested. I can buy them for 400 all day long used at guitar center. So somewhere in between could be a win win for both of us. What geography are you in? I am in north florida. 

• 1 year later...