Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helpful Tip For Vdi Cables

Hi

For all of you wanting a longer VDI cable than that provided by Line6 but don't want to get into making your own - try this..

Go online to your (country) local Neutrik parts provider and buy either an NE8MC or NE8MCB kit. This kit allows you to convert one end of a standard Cat5e cable to a VDI type connection - as shown in the attached PDF file. The cost should be around £2.50 per connector (~$4).

This way you can go to your local PC store, but the length of cable (with connectors attached) you want (but less than 50' or max 15m) and enjoy.

• Upvote 1

This option isn't as cost effective (A 50' length would cost around $62+shipping, tax, etc...) but it's a high quality solution. I bought the Line6 VDI cable, and one of  these, the L6 cable remains as the "backup", the BestTronics VDI cable is super extra nice :) They even give you an option for what material to use for the cable jacket.

http://btpa.com/98-030-004-XXX.html

"Variax Digital Input Cables made and tested in the U.S.A. with tactical dual jacketed ethernet cable"

• Upvote 2

This option isn't as cost effective (A 50' length would cost around $62+shipping, tax, etc...) but it's a high quality solution. I bought the Line6 VDI cable, and one of  these, the L6 cable remains as the "backup", the BestTronics VDI cable is super extra nice :) They even give you an option for what material to use for the cable jacket.

http://btpa.com/98-030-004-XXX.html

"Variax Digital Input Cables made and tested in the U.S.A. with tactical dual jacketed ethernet cable"

I ordered one a few weeks ago and they are very well built and work great.  I would suggest getting one from these guys if you are in the market for a good VDI cable.  I have the 30 foot Line 6 cable and it's now my back up cable as well.

• Upvote 1

The secret is to use stranded patch CAT5 or CAT6 patch cable.  I prefer 24/7AWG as its just small enough to fit into an RJ45 connnector and it's very flexible.  Anything with solid conductors are going to be stiff, likely to get kinked and when that happens it will snap.  Another good trick is to use some sleeving for the cable; you can get lengths of it for a few bucks on e-Bay in a variety of colors (highly recommend heatshrinking the ends of it and putting a boot on the end that goes into the USB adapter.  Then just put ethercon connector on the other end of the cable and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip!  How well does the Best Tronics cable handle being rolled over a couple times with a desk chair on shag carpet?

My arrangement isn't very conducive to sitting and playing, scooting back to to tweak a knob, roll forward to keyboard/mouse and #%$^#$%!!  I'm about to Google for a coiled CAT5.  At least a coiled guitar cable anyway.

Then again -- I just discovered two days ago you don't have to have to use the VDI cable to get the modeling out the 1/4" of the JTV, so I can be wireless now.  Until I venture into patches changing JTV models, which I have, and is incredibly cool, but I'm still getting the hang of the DR.

- Tony

I have the Best Tronics VDI cable and it works well for me.  I have not run over it but it seems to be as robust as a normal guitar cable.  The connectors on the ends are solid and should protect things from getting damaged if you yank on the cable a bit.  I use the 1/4 inch jack some of the time when I am not using my Pod HD500x but I leave the VDI plugged in most of the time.