Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Into L2t Into L2m; Will It Work?

Already have the hd500x, thinking about getting 1 L2t for my monitor and an L2m for the other side of the stage with my bassist and second guitar player. I'd let them decide how much of my guitar they'd want to hear. Do the two speakers work ok together?

Yes it will work beautifully...

Set your HD500x output mode to Studio/Direct,

Two scenario you can use:

1. stereo or dual mono configuration: from HD500x plug left output to L2t main input, and right output to L2m main input

2. mono configuration: from HD500x plug one output to L2t main input, then from L2t to L2m using L6 Link or Loop Thru output

If you don't have any plans to connect your guitar directly to L2t, I think it will be useless, better you buy 2 x L2m for about $100 saving.

I was thinking of going from the 500 to the l2t, mono and from that, to the l2m (placed on the other side of the stage for my rhythm section to use a s a monitor for me. But now I'm wondering if I'll ever need the built in mixer on the L2t. I guess if I ever do an acoustic gig maybe.

I was thinking of going from the 500 to the l2t, mono and from that, to the l2m (placed on the other side of the stage for my rhythm section to use a s a monitor for me. But now I'm wondering if I'll ever need the built in mixer on the L2t. I guess if I ever do an acoustic gig maybe.

Since you're already into this for at least $1495 new, it makes sense to pop for the extra $100 to get a mixer to me.

Since you're already into this for at least $1495 new, it makes sense to pop for the extra $100 to get a mixer to me.

I was thinking the same thing. Can the mixer part of the L2T be bypassed if I am just using it as a guitar monitor?

I was thinking the same thing. Can the mixer part of the L2T be bypassed if I am just using it as a guitar monitor?

The mixer is only there if you need it, as I understand things.  You select one of the "modes", those being this like "PA Only", "Acoustic Guitar", "Electric Guitar", "Music" -- I think and go.  If you connect via an AES/EBU cable via the Line6 Link connection, it auto configures itself I belive.  If you add a second L series via Line 6 Link (from the first monitor), it again auto configures itself in stereo.  This is what I've read only as I don't (yet) own one myself.  So far, I have been pretty happy with a pair of power engines but the convenience of having a stereo "Dream Rig" that is truly FRFR and requires only 3 cables to achieve is enticing I have to admit, especially as I begin with a new band.  If this band pans out, I will likely make that jump I guess, but since it is early still and I haven't fully scoped things out for the long term yet, I am holding pat for now.

In any event and in your situation, worrying over that last $100 doesn't make sense.  If you are gigging, you can use your new PA (and that's what it really is, only smarter) for before gig MP3 plays and such...plus you can have your own vocals mixed with your guitar if you want.  The options are many really, and you can get as involved as you want -- I thin lkeven setting these up on poles as your FOH, and having a third one as a wedge at your feet, if I understand things correctly.

• Upvote 1

Dumb question: What "mode" do I want to run these in if I am just using them as monitors for my HD500X?

Use the Line6 Link and you won't need to worry over it.  I think those modes only come into play when you aren't using it.  Again, I could be wrong about that, but since Line6 calls these "digitally networked", I assume this to be true.  If not, I'd try the "Electric Guitar" mode because if you are using a 500x, you would be using the modeling within that, right?

From the product site:

StageSource L2t Smart Speaker modes include:

Reference/P.A. mode

Reference/P.A. mode is designed for live sound reinforcement and features a flat frequency response, a 2.2kHz crossover frequency and maximum low-frequency extension. This mode is the optimal reference setting, whether your cabinet is mounted on a tripod, on stage or installed as part of a larger multi-component system.

Playback mode

Playback mode is optimized for pre-recorded music and DJ performances. Functionally, Playback mode is similar to P.A. mode but includes an EQ curve that emphasizes extreme low and high frequencies, making it well suited for playing back music from a CD or MP3 player, or for DJ applications.

Floor Monitor mode

Floor Monitor mode is automatically activated when the onboard accelerometer detects the unit is in a horizontal position (the user can manually override this setting). This mode provides a slight reduction in low-frequency content to counteract coupling when the speaker is placed horizontally on the stage. Two integrated kickstands and a retractable handle let you choose between 30- or 60-degree monitoring angles. When the speaker is in use, the kickstands and handle lock into secure, rattle-free positions.

Keyboard mode

Keyboard mode optimizes the L2t for use as backline amplification for a keyboard rig. This mode features a flat frequency response with a 3.5kHz crossover frequency, adding more relative energy to the cone and providing a warmer response that is pleasant for instruments. This mode also provides Virtual Tilt-back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer. 

Acoustic Guitar mode

Acoustic Guitar mode is optimized to provide a warm and balanced full-range amplification experience for acoustic instruments. This mode also features a 3.5kHz crossover frequency, with a custom-tailored low-frequency response to minimize “boominess†than can occur when amplifying acoustic instruments. Acoustic Guitar mode provides Virtual Tilt-Back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer. 

StageSource L2t offers another benefit for acoustic performers: acoustic guitar modeling. Most acoustic-electric guitars utilize a piezo pickup that captures string vibrations but typically does not convey the resonance of the guitar’s body. The acoustic modeling feature of the L2t, based on Line 6 Variax® acoustic technology, supplements the piezo signal with a physical model of an acoustic guitar’s natural body resonance. The combination of the 2-way loudspeaker, acoustic modeling and feedback suppression make the L2t a powerful live sound solution for acoustic musicians.

Electric Guitar mode

Electric Guitar Mode was designed to accommodate the modern guitarist who uses a multi-effects floorboard device such as the Line 6 POD®. Rather than sending the signal from the guitarist’s floorboard to an amplifier and then mic’ing the amp, this L2t mode features an overall frequency response that emulates the sound of a 212 combo amp. The 10" speaker plays full range, with the horn adding only the smallest amount of sparkle to the sound. Users of the Line 6 POD HD500 or POD HD Pro can plug directly into the L2t L6 LINK™ input on the control panel for digital audio and logic integration. This mode also provides Virtual Tilt-Back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer.

• Upvote 2

+1 smrybacki

If you are planning to connect your HD500X directly to the L2t, I would use the L6 LINK connections - to your other L2m as well. That way you will not only have stereo capability for the HD500X preset, you will also have full 'mode' control on a preset basis because the HD500X stores the L2 mode as part of its preset definition. You can then use PA/Reference mode for acoustic presets, and Electric Guitar mode when you want to use the L2 as the guitar cab. Just make sure to manually set the L2 mode as desired before you SAVE the HD500X preset.

If you want to use the mixer, you must connect it to the ch.1 or ch.2 on the side of the L2t.

Any other inputs than ch.1 and ch.2, which is the main input at the back of the L2t, will not go to the mixer.

The ch.1 and ch.2 is accepting instrument/mic level, if you connect your HD500x 1/4" output or XLR output (which is line level), from what I'm experiencing, it will introduce a noise (hiss), even the -20 PAD activated

while the mode will apply to any inputs regardless you plug into main input (XLR, 14" TS, RCA or L6 Link), ch.1 or ch.2

And yes, I also go to that decision, since it's only $100, i take L2t instead of L2m, only so far I'm not utilizing that $100, since I'm using JTV that connected to POD HD with output mode set to studio/direct. 

Haven't try to set to another than studio/direct output mode and connect the POD output to ch.1 or ch.2 that is instrument level.

Already got chance to explore more, and here's what I got, please correct me if I'm wrong.

When we want to connect POD to the main input (XLR combo) on the back of the L2t, the output mode should be set to "Studio/Direct", that is line level.

If we want to connect POD to the ch.1 or ch.2 on the side of the L2t to utilize the mixer, we must set our POD output mode to "Combo Front", that is instrument level.

Still not sure about the RCA input, since I don't have the cable yet.

Already got chance to explore more, and here's what I got, please correct me if I'm wrong.

When we want to connect POD to the main input (XLR combo) on the back of the L2t, the output mode should be set to "Studio/Direct", that is line level.

If we want to connect POD to the ch.1 or ch.2 on the side of the L2t to utilize the mixer, we must set our POD output mode to "Combo Front", that is instrument level.

Still not sure about the RCA input, since I don't have the cable yet.

Why not just use the Line6 Link, or is that what you mean here?  Using Line6 Link sets it all up for you I believe.

Hi smrybacki... sorry if my post makes you questioning more.

Basicly, we're not created equals, we came from different culture, different country with different financial power, different needs, etc.

Not all people are professionals like you do, some are amateurs, some are only hobbyists.

Not all people will throw another $100 easily to take L2t instead L2m for the feature that they still don't know whether it will be usefull or not, and why Line 6 comes out with the "m" if they thinks that everybody will buy the "t' since it's only $100 difference?

Also, here, is not like where you're live who can easily find a L6 cables, and I think you also know that it's just not like a mic cable, since it got special requirement (I read somewhere, but i can't recall to mention it here) that is different with ordinary mic cables that will affect the performance.  

If we living in the perfect world, maybe it's true, all the Line 6 hardware will be linked using L6 Link, there's no L2m and L3m, all stagesource is L2t and L3t, and all will be living in harmony.

L2t have several input types, so I think it's not wrong if we use all other options there instead L6 Link, or there's a strict rules that I don't know, if we use POD HD, then we must use L6 Link to connect to our stagesource?

And i think, this is a public forum, not a private one-to-one conversation, so there's somebody else that will read this post and decided not to choose L6 Link route for their setup.

So i think, it's not wrong to share what are the possibilities we have to connect between POD HD and stagesource, and what are the settings involved to make it works smoothly.

Again, I don't have any bad intention with all my posts to you or to everybody else. Thanks for reading my post.

Hi smrybacki... sorry if my post makes you questioning more.

Basicly, we're not created equals, we came from different culture, different country with different financial power, different needs, etc.

Not all people are professionals like you do, some are amateurs, some are only hobbyists.

Not all people will throw another $100 easily to take L2t instead L2m for the feature that they still don't know whether it will be usefull or not, and why Line 6 comes out with the "m" if they thinks that everybody will buy the "t' since it's only $100 difference?

Also, here, is not like where you're live who can easily find a L6 cables, and I think you also know that it's just not like a mic cable, since it got special requirement (I read somewhere, but i can't recall to mention it here) that is different with ordinary mic cables that will affect the performance.  

If we living in the perfect world, maybe it's true, all the Line 6 hardware will be linked using L6 Link, there's no L2m and L3m, all stagesource is L2t and L3t, and all will be living in harmony.

L2t have several input types, so I think it's not wrong if we use all other options there instead L6 Link, or there's a strict rules that I don't know, if we use POD HD, then we must use L6 Link to connect to our stagesource?

And i think, this is a public forum, not a private one-to-one conversation, so there's somebody else that will read this post and decided not to choose L6 Link route for their setup.

So i think, it's not wrong to share what are the possibilities we have to connect between POD HD and stagesource, and what are the settings involved to make it works smoothly.

Again, I don't have any bad intention with all my posts to you or to everybody else. Thanks for reading my post.

Gee, there was no bad intent taken.  I was just curious is all and thought maybe you had a better way, plus I didn't understand (and still don't) what you meant.  Just trying to help man.

BTW, I am NOT a pro musician, just a database administrator with a serious (but treatable) guitar habit.  What country are you in?  I have travelled much in my life, including 27 countries in Australia, Europe and Asia.

Hi, smrybacki, glad you can read my post with positive thinking.

I'm in Indonesia, the country that always left behind with the new products availabilities and supports. FYI, spider IV only cames to our country just for a few months (not even a year). We still have no POD HD Pro X yet or even Amplifi.

The purpose of my post is because the thread starter is not familiar with stagesource, that's why I'm only give an alternative to him about how to connect POD HD to stagesource. I admit that L6 Link is the best way to go, but we don't know whats the situation there.

Hi, smrybacki, glad you can read my post with positive thinking.

I'm in Indonesia, the country that always left behind with the new products availabilities and supports. FYI, spider IV only cames to our country just for a few months (not even a year). We still have no POD HD Pro X yet or even Amplifi.

The purpose of my post is because the thread starter is not familiar with stagesource, that's why I'm only give an alternative to him about how to connect POD HD to stagesource. I admit that L6 Link is the best way to go, but we don't know whats the situation there.

Now it makes sense.  I visited Jakarta in September 1987 by the way.

• 1 month later...

Should work just fine although I'd hold off buying the second speaker till you try it with just one. I just started using a HD500X into an L2t and found the sound dispersion really good. If you just stand it on it's end and set your volume right, everyone in your band should hear pretty much the same thing. It's got a wider dispersion pattern than a typical guitar amp and you may find you don't even need the second amp unless you wanted a stereo rig (which would actually be pretty cool too).

Hi Loekito

I connect the my HD500 and L3m via L6 link using a regular DMX cable. It works perfectly, is probably more accessible than an L6 link cable and cost significantly less.

If you are planning to connect your HD500X directly to the L2t, I would use the L6 LINK connections - to your other L2m as well. That way you will not only have stereo capability for the HD500X preset, you will also have full 'mode' control on a preset basis because the HD500X stores the L2 mode as part of its preset definition. You can then use PA/Reference mode for acoustic presets, and Electric Guitar mode when you want to use the L2 as the guitar cab. Just make sure to manually set the L2 mode as desired before you SAVE the HD500X preset.

Wow, I learn something every day! I didn't take the time to know about *that* little feature. Saving the L2 speaker mode per patch on the HD500? Hmmm, I guess I know what I will mess about with tonight after work! Is there a way to edit that L2 speaker mode setting using the HD editor software?

Yeah, technically you can use a standard XLR cable if you really need to. I ended up getting some AES/EBU cables made from a place here in Illinois called BestTronics. They are nice cables, they work fine; they are easy to distinguish from the XLR cables because for some reason the AES/EBU cabling uses a thinner cable and/or shielding, dunno. I can't tell any difference; though I haven't had to run them any significant distance, I just got a couple of 30', 20' and 10' so I would be able to L6Link the HD500 to the DT25, and the L2's to the mixer. I haven't used the L2's much with the HD500, should explore that option a bit more. Especially for using the JTV acoustic patches..

Hi Loekito

I connect the my HD500 and L3m via L6 link using a regular DMX cable. It works perfectly, is probably more accessible than an L6 link cable and cost significantly less.

Saving the L2 speaker mode per patch on the HD500? Hmmm, I guess I know what I will mess about with tonight after work!

Is there a way to edit that L2 speaker mode setting using the HD editor software?

I just tossed this up on the Idea Scale

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/L-Series-Speaker-Modes-selectable-in-HD-Edit/635022-23508

IT seems the speaker mode saving per patch is unkown to most peeps.  Only discovered by scouring the forums.  You should be able to select the speaker mode from HD Edit without reaching for the speaker and selecting it.  Not having one, I can imagine how frustrated I'd be having to visit the speaker to set it before saving.  I don't have one, but want one.  I guess you'd have to reach to the back each time, lean the speaker forward to see what your doing?

Just an FYI, Line6 link cables are actually aes/ebu digital audio cables-- digital versions of XLR's. They're mostly used by DJ's but I was able to find some at my local Sam Ash. They're a bit cheaper than the official Line6 cables and still transmit digital audio and the information to switch speaker modes per patch.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased the HD500X, L2t and L2M. I used the non Line 6 aes/ebu cables to connect the HD500x to the L2t then to the L2M and it worked perfectly. However, I had downloaded some patches from "custom tones" and some of them do not allow me to control the volume. The volume pedal and the volume knob and master have no effect. I switched patches and nearly blew out my eardrums. Volumes in the back of the two stagesource speakers where pretty low.

Any thoughts?