Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Causes The Increased Volume On This Patch

alienux

I downloaded Lincoln Brewster's official HD500 presets from here

http://www.lincolnbrewster.com/podpatches/

And specifically, the one named Lincoln_Brewster_Main_2012.h5e

For some reason, this preset is much much louder than any preset I create myself without messing too much with the volume settings.

I've turned off every effect/amp block and checked all of the levels, including DEPs and none are really any different than any settings I use in my patches, and this patch is still much louder than any of my patches.

The only difference I can see is that at the mixer he has both R and L set to Center instead of the default !00% Left and 100% Right. Changing that makes some difference, but it seems like the volume difference is more than just that.

I also changed the extension to .5xe to import on my HD500X. That shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Is there something else I'm missing, or does centering the Mixer block actually really make that much difference in overall volume without actually changing any volume parameters?

• Upvote 1

Recreate it yourself block by block, parameter by parameter and see what you get.

I downloaded Lincoln Brewster's official HD500 presets from here

http://www.lincolnbrewster.com/podpatches/

And specifically, the one named Lincoln_Brewster_Main_2012.h5e

For some reason, this preset is much much louder than any preset I create myself without messing too much with the volume settings.

I've turned off every effect/amp block and checked all of the levels, including DEPs and none are really any different than any settings I use in my patches, and this patch is still much louder than any of my patches.

The only difference I can see is that at the mixer he has both R and L set to Center instead of the default !00% Left and 100% Right. Changing that makes some difference, but it seems like the volume difference is more than just that.

I also changed the extension to .5xe to import on my HD500X. That shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Is there something else I'm missing, or does centering the Mixer block actually really make that much difference in overall volume without actually changing any volume parameters?

• Upvote 1

There's another thread around here that explains basically, that the L/R aren't really left and right, but two stereo signals you can balance however you like (may not be 100% accurate!) and so putting both of them at center gives you a boost of somewhere around 6dB (may not be accurate!) in volume over "stock" patches with everything panned all the way out.

• Upvote 2

Recreate it yourself block by block, parameter by parameter and see what you get.

I didn't do exactly that, but like I said, I turned off every block on the patch. I then turned each one on one by one, but none of them made that much difference.

"gunpointmetal"

There's another thread around here that explains basically, that the L/R aren't really left and right, but two stereo signals you can balance however you like (may not be 100% accurate!) and so putting both of them at center gives you a boost of somewhere around 6dB (may not be accurate!) in volume over "stock" patches with everything panned all the way out.

That makes sense with what I found after turning off all of the blocks. I knew about the L/R being two separate stereo signals, but I had no idea that centering them would give such a big boost.

I knew about the L/R being two separate stereo signals, but I had no idea that centering them would give such a big boost.

The mixer as simple as it looks can manipulate the sound more than you might think at first. You can pan center on path A and mute path B to get just path A, or vica versa or use both channels panned center for the loudest output, etc. Whenyou download a tone check out the mixer settings first so you know where you stand, before you possibly blast yourself with sound.

• Upvote 1

The mixer as simple as it looks can manipulate the sound more than you might think at first. You can pan center on path A and mute path B to get just path A, or vica versa or use both channels panned center for the loudest output, etc. Whenyou download a tone check out the mixer settings first so you know where you stand, before you possibly blast yourself with sound.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was surprised at how loud this one was when I first tried it, but thankfully I didn't have headphones on at the time.