Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x - Q's About Discrete Mic And Instr Outputs, Vocoder

spfairchild

Hello peoples of the Line 6 forum,

I have some questions about the MIC input/output and routing on the HD500X:

Is it possible to route the signal from the Mic Input to one of the Balanced Outputs, while simultaneously running the Instrument Input to one of the Unbalanced (1/4") outputs, so that when I play gigs I can route my mic through the pedal and give the FOH guy the Mic output separately from the instrument output (which I would give him from the DI in my amp, further down the signal chain, due to using more effects)? They key thing is I'm curious about keeping the instrument and mic outputs separate, so the channels can stay discrete on the FOH mixing board.

Related to that, when using the Vocoder, will the effected sound pass through both the instrument and Mic outputs, or just one or the other? I.e. if running my instr and mic through the HD500X as separate channels (assuming that can be done), when I turn on the vocoder, will I hear the output through my instrument output only, the Mic/PA output only, or both?

Finally, does anyone know if the HD500X will have additional effects/packages that can be applied to it? I'm a bassist, and it's very light on bass-specific stuff. I've always had an issue with buying pedalboards because they don't seem really futureproof sometimes. It would be nice if this platform will be somewhat expandable.

Thank you!

Thanks, Charlie.

Can anyone speak to the other questions - vocoder use and discrete MIC and INSTR outputs (balanced and unbalanced)? I'm hoping for some help here, because I already hit up Line 6 on FB and they directed me here. So drop some knowledge on me if you have some!

using the vocoder requires both inputs 2 be guitar/aux, NOT MIC.

vocoder autmatically "reads" mic input and uses mic signal accordingly (as a trigger).

here r the dtls from silverhead's post  in a similar thread

Using The Vocoder On My Hd-500

Try removing the Input2=MIC setting. I am going from memory here and from a different device, so this could be wrong but....

I recall using the Vocoder long ago with my Pod X3 Live. The association of the Mic to the Vocoder FX was automatic; no input assignment was required because the Vocoder is designed to use the mic input by default. I believe that by assigning Input2=MIC you are forcing the MIC input through the full signal chain, when all you want is to have the mic input used by the Vocoder FX. I think this may happen automatically.

EDIT: Here's an old post I dug up to illustrate. The implementation may have changed in the Pod HD vs. X3, but here's how it worked in the X3:
Re: How does the Vocoder work?
by silverhead on 2010-03-03 06:27:27

Use Guitar as your Input setting for the Tone. When you select and turn on the Vocoder as an effect for the Tone the X3 will automatically start to use the Mic Input as a trigger for the guitar. Your guitar will no longer sound (even thought it remains the selected input for the Tone) until the X3 detects a signal at the Mic input.

For your 2nd question, you can send your mic down channel A panned hard L, and your guitar down channel B panned hard R. You can have separate, unrelated FX on each. Both signals will come out both the XLR balanced and 1/4" unbalanced outputs, but they are panned hard L/R. So just use the L XLR to get your mic to FOH and the R 1/4" to your amp.

Excellent! Thanks, all.

One possible snag, though - If I have my mic set up like this, panned all the way in one direction, and with the input type set to MIC, will that not allow the vocoder to work like it should, per Jandrio's post above? I'm hoping it would still work with the vocoder, because changing routing in the middle of a set would certainly be a deal breaker, but everything else sounds good. Thanks again!