#1 jegler

jegler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Basement

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yeah so my jtv got back today from the service center and it seems to have been healed of its persistent crackling and dropouts, (yay!) but I see that it had flash memory v2.1 installed. Rrrrgh. I asked that you leave it as 1.9.  I didn't like v2.0 and I do not like v2.1. while the popping between models has been cleared up, the levels between models is too varied, the strat is, like, super wimpy with no sustain, and the worst is the volume control. Waaaay too "tapered". Volume swells are impossible. 

First, I would ask if there are tweaks I can perform in workbench that will rectify these issues. (which is a pain, I have to haul my rig to work after hours and get on a computer there) If so, please give detailed instructions on how. I need these changes to be a permanent mod of the jtv.

Second: please tell me if and how I can roll back to 1.9

Thank you,

Jordan

www.redlightrecords.com

#2 gtrman100

gtrman100

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

There are plenty of things you can do to play with the volume levels. In Workbench you can adjust the preset volume, the modeled pickup volume, change pickups, and change individual string volume. I've changed the Strat body to Masonite Plank(Danelectro) like others have suggested, and it keep the Strat tone, but adds more sustain and volume.

As far as the taper of the volume control, It's not adjustable.

You can roll back the firmware by using the Monkey as long as you have the 1.9 version downloaded on your computer. Click on the Support tab above, go to Downloads. It's all there.

#3 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

As far as the taper of the volume control, It's not adjustable.

Actually, it is.  But limited.  The choices are audio or linear.

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15362 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

that and you can change the pot resistance...

it's actually as adjustable as it needs to be for most "standard" style guitars.

Actually, it is.  But limited.  The choices are audio or linear.

#5 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

What affects the tone rolloff on the volume knob and the volume rolloff on the volume knob?

that and you can change the pot resistance...

it's actually as adjustable as it needs to be for most "standard" style guitars.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#6 jegler

jegler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Basement

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hey, I hate to trouble you, but could you offer more details on that? I have a real mess with my computer situation. Monkey won't run on my PPC Mac, and I did all my flashware/firmware stuff on an old work computer (PC) which has since taken a dump. I have workbench installed on a crappy PC laptop, which I use to backup my hd500 presets, but I cannot connect to the internet with that computer. I have a newer computer at work now, but it doesn't have Monkey or any line6 software installed. I could also use my parents' intel Mac in a pinch...

I looks like the jtv flash 1.9 download is a .vxf file. Workbench downloads are either .exe or .dmg and only offer v2.01 or 2.1. Do i need an earlier version of workbench to do the rollback on the guitar? Me gots some confusion... :(  

Thanks

You can roll back the firmware by using the Monkey as long as you have the 1.9 version downloaded on your computer. Click on the Support tab above, go to Downloads. It's all there.

www.redlightrecords.com

#7 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15362 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

there's a good chance you will need a windows or an intel mac machine to make it work.

the vxf file is the binary image file... however there are no JTV drivers for the PPC mac, and even an older version of monkey is not likely to flash from the file.

if you can put the monkey exe and the variax flash file on a thumb drive, you could probably use your offline machine.

Hey, I hate to trouble you, but could you offer more details on that? I have a real mess with my computer situation. Monkey won't run on my PPC Mac, and I did all my flashware/firmware stuff on an old work computer (PC) which has since taken a dump. I have workbench installed on a crappy PC laptop, which I use to backup my hd500 presets, but I cannot connect to the internet with that computer. I have a newer computer at work now, but it doesn't have Monkey or any line6 software installed. I could also use my parents' intel Mac in a pinch...

I looks like the jtv flash 1.9 download is a .vxf file. Workbench downloads are either .exe or .dmg and only offer v2.01 or 2.1. Do i need an earlier version of workbench to do the rollback on the guitar? Me gots some confusion... :(

Thanks

#8 diggerbarnz

diggerbarnz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

you could try Arislafs' bank 4 the strat   http://line6.com/sup...-2-and-4/page-2

#9 broker2

broker2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

When i go into support tab,i dont see anything saying download.Can you tell me how to get into download so i can try the 1.9 thanks guys.

#10 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

When i go into support tab,i dont see anything saying download.Can you tell me how to get into download so i can try the 1.9 thanks guys.

http://line6.com/software/index.html

#11 broker2

broker2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thanks,i tried that but 1.9 does not show up,all the other downloads show up but on mine 1.9 doesnt,is there anything else i can try.

#12 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15362 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

make sure you do not select an operating system... or leave it at all.. sometimes it may filter options based on your selection....

#13 broker2

broker2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hi guys,im running vista on my pc so 1.9 is not coming up .I found it comes up on windows 7@8 so it must be because of vista i cant get it thanks for your help  cal.

#14 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15362 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

you can still get it...

just download and use the files.. its a glitch on the site.

#15 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

@jegler:

I am afraid u just saved 'n uploaded the custom 1 bank instead of spank.

cld u pls reload the correct bank?

#16 jegler

jegler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Basement

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

@jegler:

I am afraid u just saved 'n uploaded the custom 1 bank instead of spank.

cld u pls reload the correct bank?

bleah - I'll fix that tonight - thanks for the quality control...

www.redlightrecords.com

#17 jegler

jegler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Basement

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

took arislaf's string balance mod with volume adjustments to all five models and changed the 1st two positions to masonite body as per another user's recommendation. 

Attached Files

www.redlightrecords.com

#18 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

ok, now we do have the spanks...

#19 Rickbendel

Rickbendel

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

I also have the Volume knob issue...the knob has to be almost completely rolled off before it has any volume reduction.  I'm talking like the very last little bit of the knob.

This is my first time here at support so i'm not sure how to go about getting help, but I need this fixed so the knob is "fully" functional and even a bump will ultimately lower the volume of my guitar.  

I also tried to get variax workbench 1.9 download so I can roll back and hopefully get back the original Telecaster models but the software does not show up on my computer.  Can someone direct link that download for me and maybe a short explanation of how to rollback the flash?

Thank you all,

Rick Bendel

Havoc

#20 stevel1953

stevel1953

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

jegler....thanks for the strat models...awesome. I have a jtv69.  I always used the mags for the strat sound cause I could never get the emulation to sound even close to my strat. I have an American made 1988 strat that I've had for 18 years so I know what a strat is supposed to sound like. your presets are spot on. thanks again. steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users