Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dotted 8th Delay Not Consistent

sbeattie7

I frequently use a dotted 8th digital delay in my patches and have noticed at times, that it somehow stops working as a dotted 8th and becomes more like a 1/4 note delay.  The setting in HD Edit and on the HD500X itself still shows the dotted 8th.  I always dial in the BPM for the patch, so the timing of the dotted 8th delay is based off of that.  I believe this usually happens when I have the HD500X connected to the computer via the USB cable although I seem to recall this also happening when running the HD500X on its own.  In order to fix it, I end up changing the type of note delay to something like a 1/2 note, saving the patch, then switching it back to dotted 8th note and saving it again. 

Has anyone else noticed this happening?  It's not a consistent thing, but it is somewhat disconcerting considering how much one may rely on a specific delay for a song. 

Well, if you're connected to HD Edit, all bets are off. The tempo can drift. But it should be consistent when you're not attached. Are you hitting the tap tempo button at anytime? Even if you set the BPM, the timing will still be affected by the tap tempo switch. And if you happen to have the tempo set to global, it will change even if you're not in that patch.

HD Edit certainly has some bugs that I wish Line 6 would actually fix.  That being said, I don't think it's a matter of the tempo drifting.  The BPM doesn't change and I'm not hitting the Tap Tempo switch.  I don't have tempo set to global. The delay setting does seem fairly consistent when the HD500X is not attached to HD Edit.  For all we know, this issue is related to the problem with the BPM setting not actually working within HD Edit.  I always have to set the BPM on the HD500X itself. 

I've had this happen to me as well, just as sbeattie7 says. Only it's not limited to the digital delay/dotted 8th combo. I can recall it happening with the analog delay w/ mod and stereo delay with the 1/4 (dot), 1/4 (3), and 8th (dot). Can't recall it happening on non-(dot)(3) timings though.

I doubt it's anything to do with the tap temp button as I never use it, even accidentally.

My guess is it's a bug with an unknown trigger that can make the behavior seem random.

For all we know, this issue is related to the problem with the BPM setting not actually working within HD Edit.  I always have to set the BPM on the HD500X itself.

I do recall people having this issue, now that I think about it. It seems that the BPM doesn't stick when entered in Edit.